• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

As the title asks, the Wings gave up a center a lot of scouts characterized as being as close to the next Zetterberg as there can be and a second for a 4th liner and 5 games in the playoffs. Was it worth the cost to keep the streak alive? Or should they have trusted the kids? Thoughts? 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#2 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

I think adding Legwand helped get us into the playoffs. So right now, I'll say yes.

Talk to me in a couple years for a more complete and confident answer...

#3 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

Gonna be fun watching Jarnkrok tear up the league next year all for a rental for the 4th line. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#4 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

No ... to me losing in first round 4-1 and not making it into the playoff is not much different.  This is as weak as it can get .... I guess the only thing worst is to be swept.  

#5 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

Yes, all day long and twice on Sunday! Well worth it.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#6 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

No, we lost one of our best prospects who fills a whole that this team desperately needs in a scoring right handed center.

We made the playoffs which is great, but I think we could have done it without Legwand, or even with jarncrok in that position. Legwand was irrelevant IMO. 

The pick is now a second rounder, which can easily become a good player

Basically, we traded a 2nd pick (pretty high one too) and a promising prospect for 5 extra games of hockey. 

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#7 lwing

lwing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

I think he played well and is, I think someone who will continue to play well, but to give up a promising prospect all to cover your a$$ and get a meaningless playoff appearance is foolish. It was ultimately a mismanagement decision, not a management decision.

#8 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

Absolutely it made sense!  For the business side.  Keeping the streak alive is a HUGE marketing opportunity.  For the team?  No way.  Seeing how we brought up Sheahan, we could have brought up Jarnkrok next season and I HIGHLY doubt he was leaving the AHL/States.

• Nev likes this

#9 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:37 PM

Yep...totally worth it.

#10 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

Depends on how Jarnkrok does in the next few years.

He had 9 points in 12 games with Nashville this year after being called up. Plus, he's a hard worker and defensively responsible.

Edited by Nevermind, 26 April 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#11 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

Jarnkrok was our best prospect. That's what hurts about it.

Legwand helped us get into the dance. But so did the Leafs and Caps.

We need to re-sign Legwand and revisit this at a later point, IMHO.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#12 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

Jarnkrok was our best prospect. That's what hurts about it.

Legwand helped us get into the dance. But so did the Leafs and Caps.

We need to re-sign Legwand and revisit this at a later point, IMHO.

Think he'll re-sign? I think Babcock burying him on the fourth line was a huge middle finger to him.

Edited by Shaman, 26 April 2014 - 05:41 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#13 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

we are not gonna miss Jarnkrok. Besides, Holland makes 0 moves and we miss the playoffs, then he is a buster.

if others would have stepped up this round, rather than just rely on Hank and Pav, we'd still be in it and the trade would have been even more genius. (as I point the finger at yet a 5th year in a row that Franzen was so horrible, the polar ice caps lost about 6ft of height...) He got his contract and decided he doesn't need to play, he should be taken out back and castrated! God forbid he spawns another heartless piece if s*** into this world!

Think he'll re-sign? I think Babcock burying him on the fourth line was a huge middle finger to him.

Babcock needs to be fired...he has mis-managed this team for a few years now. He thinks he is Gods gift to coaching, but he is not anywhere near so...bring in Larionov and watch us soar!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#14 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

we are not gonna miss Jarnkrok. Besides, Holland makes 0 moves and we miss the playoffs, then he is a buster.

if others would have stepped up this round, rather than just rely on Hank and Pav, we'd still be in it and the trade would have been even more genius. (as I point the finger at yet a 5th year in a row that Franzen was so horrible, the polar ice caps lost about 6ft of height...) He got his contract and decided he doesn't need to play, he should be taken out back and castrated! God forbid he spawns another heartless piece if s*** into this world!

Babcock needs to be fired...he has mis-managed this team for a few years now. He thinks he is Gods gift to coaching, but he is not anywhere near so...bring in Larionov and watch us soar!

I will never look back on the move to get Legwand but I just don't understand how we used him..clearly our young guys were out of their element in this series so why didnt we move him up to the 2nd or 3rd line.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#15 lwing

lwing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

I will never look back on the move to get Legwand but I just don't understand how we used him..clearly our young guys were out of their element in this series so why didnt we move him up to the 2nd or 3rd line.

I guess that would require a coach who actually shifts lines around vs just hoping things will magically change by themselves. :-) God, what is the mystery here? The genius of Bowman was his constant adapting. But Bowman was a chess player. Babcock plays checkers.

#16 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

I don't drink your Franzen hater kool aid usually but he was hot garbage. Just a waste of space to be honest.  If he made anymore than the 3.9 he makes it would hurt even worse but that contract isn't that bad.  Can we buy Weiss out? if so we don't have any other bad contracts...Bert, Cleary, Sammy, Alfie, Quincey off the books should give us a lot of room to make some moves..and cmon let's be honest our young guys were terrific this year even though they were invisible in the playoffs.  Future is bright from where I sit.

I guess that would require a coach who actually shifts lines around vs just hoping things will magically change by themselves. :-) God, what is the mystery here? The genius of Bowman was his constant adapting. But Bowman was a chess player. Babcock plays checkers.

Clearly he's a total chump..he's never done anything in this league...oh wait he did get a squad of half ahl'ers to the playoffs.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#17 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

Legwand will not be back... and we gave them Zetterberg 2.0 for a rental...

Kenny is saying one thing and doing opposite...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#18 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

I think everyone here knows how I feel about this. We have a huge question mark going for in our top 6 C positions going forward without Jarnkrok.

Legwand was never a long term answer and he SHOULD have been pretty inexpensive to acquire considering he is an aging UFA that would only waive to come to Detroit (so no competing offers). Despite this we ended up giving up our top C prospect who was just getting hot and a 2nd in a deep draft. That hurts. 

Having Weiss going into next season it makes it pretty clear this was a move by holland PURLY to get into the playoffs. There is no long-term place for Legwand on the roster with all our kids and Weiss around.

Would I rather have Jarnkrok + 2nd and not get to brag to my friends that Detroit has made the playoffs 23 years straight? Yes! We did dick-all in the playoffs and embarrassed ourselves anyways. I will be keeping my head down even around Leafs fans after this playoff performance. The streak means nothing to me if you don't at least come somewhat close every once and a while to winning the cup (which we haven't since 09). Holland showed that the streak means more to him than the long term future of the team - the streak is his legacy at this point in addition to his previous cups (he is too near to the end of his term here to go full youth movement and turn the roster over).

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#19 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Funny how some people think Legwand got us to the playoffs. I don't think he made a difference whatsoever. 

Except for nailing Malkin in the nuts. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#20 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

A few things. I said at the time it was  a bad trade, I still think that and I am not a Jarnkrok fan. The 2nd alone should have been enough or Jarnkrok alone. We overpaid.

Now in this thread some are complaining about babs not changing the lineup et others are talking about him demoting Legwand. Both can't be true. Either he was making changes or he wasn't.