• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shaman

Was Legwand worth it?

Rate this topic

As the title asks, the Wings gave up a center a lot of scouts characterized as being as close to the next Zetterberg as there can be and a second for a 4th liner and 5 games in the playoffs. Was it worth the cost to keep the streak alive? Or should they have trusted the kids? Thoughts?

No, we lost one of our best prospects who fills a whole that this team desperately needs in a scoring right handed center.

We made the playoffs which is great, but I think we could have done it without Legwand, or even with jarncrok in that position. Legwand was irrelevant IMO.

The pick is now a second rounder, which can easily become a good player

Basically, we traded a 2nd pick (pretty high one too) and a promising prospect for 5 extra games of hockey.

I think he played well and is, I think someone who will continue to play well, but to give up a promising prospect all to cover your a$$ and get a meaningless playoff appearance is foolish. It was ultimately a mismanagement decision, not a management decision.

Absolutely it made sense! For the business side. Keeping the streak alive is a HUGE marketing opportunity. For the team? No way. Seeing how we brought up Sheahan, we could have brought up Jarnkrok next season and I HIGHLY doubt he was leaving the AHL/States.

Depends on how Jarnkrok does in the next few years.

He had 9 points in 12 games with Nashville this year after being called up. Plus, he's a hard worker and defensively responsible.

Edited by Nevermind

Jarnkrok was our best prospect. That's what hurts about it.

Legwand helped us get into the dance. But so did the Leafs and Caps.

We need to re-sign Legwand and revisit this at a later point, IMHO.

Think he'll re-sign? I think Babcock burying him on the fourth line was a huge middle finger to him.

Edited by Shaman

we are not gonna miss Jarnkrok. Besides, Holland makes 0 moves and we miss the playoffs, then he is a buster.

if others would have stepped up this round, rather than just rely on Hank and Pav, we'd still be in it and the trade would have been even more genius. (as I point the finger at yet a 5th year in a row that Franzen was so horrible, the polar ice caps lost about 6ft of height...) He got his contract and decided he doesn't need to play, he should be taken out back and castrated! God forbid he spawns another heartless piece if s*** into this world!

Think he'll re-sign? I think Babcock burying him on the fourth line was a huge middle finger to him.

Babcock needs to be fired...he has mis-managed this team for a few years now. He thinks he is Gods gift to coaching, but he is not anywhere near so...bring in Larionov and watch us soar!

we are not gonna miss Jarnkrok. Besides, Holland makes 0 moves and we miss the playoffs, then he is a buster.

if others would have stepped up this round, rather than just rely on Hank and Pav, we'd still be in it and the trade would have been even more genius. (as I point the finger at yet a 5th year in a row that Franzen was so horrible, the polar ice caps lost about 6ft of height...) He got his contract and decided he doesn't need to play, he should be taken out back and castrated! God forbid he spawns another heartless piece if s*** into this world!

Babcock needs to be fired...he has mis-managed this team for a few years now. He thinks he is Gods gift to coaching, but he is not anywhere near so...bring in Larionov and watch us soar!

I will never look back on the move to get Legwand but I just don't understand how we used him..clearly our young guys were out of their element in this series so why didnt we move him up to the 2nd or 3rd line.

I will never look back on the move to get Legwand but I just don't understand how we used him..clearly our young guys were out of their element in this series so why didnt we move him up to the 2nd or 3rd line.

I guess that would require a coach who actually shifts lines around vs just hoping things will magically change by themselves. :-) God, what is the mystery here? The genius of Bowman was his constant adapting. But Bowman was a chess player. Babcock plays checkers.

I don't drink your Franzen hater kool aid usually but he was hot garbage. Just a waste of space to be honest. If he made anymore than the 3.9 he makes it would hurt even worse but that contract isn't that bad. Can we buy Weiss out? if so we don't have any other bad contracts...Bert, Cleary, Sammy, Alfie, Quincey off the books should give us a lot of room to make some moves..and cmon let's be honest our young guys were terrific this year even though they were invisible in the playoffs. Future is bright from where I sit.

I guess that would require a coach who actually shifts lines around vs just hoping things will magically change by themselves. :-) God, what is the mystery here? The genius of Bowman was his constant adapting. But Bowman was a chess player. Babcock plays checkers.

Clearly he's a total chump..he's never done anything in this league...oh wait he did get a squad of half ahl'ers to the playoffs.

I think everyone here knows how I feel about this. We have a huge question mark going for in our top 6 C positions going forward without Jarnkrok.

Legwand was never a long term answer and he SHOULD have been pretty inexpensive to acquire considering he is an aging UFA that would only waive to come to Detroit (so no competing offers). Despite this we ended up giving up our top C prospect who was just getting hot and a 2nd in a deep draft. That hurts.

Having Weiss going into next season it makes it pretty clear this was a move by holland PURLY to get into the playoffs. There is no long-term place for Legwand on the roster with all our kids and Weiss around.

Would I rather have Jarnkrok + 2nd and not get to brag to my friends that Detroit has made the playoffs 23 years straight? Yes! We did dick-all in the playoffs and embarrassed ourselves anyways. I will be keeping my head down even around Leafs fans after this playoff performance. The streak means nothing to me if you don't at least come somewhat close every once and a while to winning the cup (which we haven't since 09). Holland showed that the streak means more to him than the long term future of the team - the streak is his legacy at this point in addition to his previous cups (he is too near to the end of his term here to go full youth movement and turn the roster over).

A few things. I said at the time it was a bad trade, I still think that and I am not a Jarnkrok fan. The 2nd alone should have been enough or Jarnkrok alone. We overpaid.

Now in this thread some are complaining about babs not changing the lineup et others are talking about him demoting Legwand. Both can't be true. Either he was making changes or he wasn't.