• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shaman

Was Legwand worth it?

Rate this topic

http://www.freep.com/article/20140506/SPORTS05/305060038

Well, it looks like he won't be resigned. I guess I question why Holland traded for him in the first place at this stage. Yes, I know, to make the playoffs. I still believe we should have given the kid a chance at the NHL level first.

He was signed because Joakim Andersson was the first line center. Seriously, reread that sentence and let it soak in. Andersson is a borderline NHL player and he was playing 1C. Even if the team was mathematically out of playoff contention that is still unacceptable. Something had to be done, so Holland pulled the trigger on Legwand.<-------------That is why Detroit traded for him.

Edited by Dave

http://www.freep.com/article/20140506/SPORTS05/305060038

Well, it looks like he won't be resigned. I guess I question why Holland traded for him in the first place at this stage. Yes, I know, to make the playoffs. I still believe we should have given the kid a chance at the NHL level first.

As a fan, I agree. From a business perspective, it's not surprising. Even more than continuing the playoff streak, the revenue from two home playoff games (with no player contract expense) and potential for more games made it pretty much a no brainer.

Legwand not being brought back because with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, Sheahan, Helm, Glendenning, and Andersson, there's no room at center.

There would have been no room for Jarnkrok either.

This trade was a wash.

The only beef any logical Wings fan could have with the Legwand deal is that Calle could have been part of a better deal this offseason for that coveted top four D-man.

Legwand not being brought back because with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, Sheahan, Helm, Glendenning, and Andersson, there's no room at center.

There would have been no room for Jarnkrok either.

This trade was a wash.

The only beef any logical Wings fan could have with the Legwand deal is that Calle could have been part of a better deal this offseason for that coveted top four D-man.

It's not a wash though for a few reasons:

#1 Jarnkrok has years of cheap team control left.

#2 He's still wavier exmept

#3 Weiss, Zetterberg and Helm all have long track records of being injured and the Wings have no center depth, look at the names you listed.

#4 The 2nd rounder that also was part of the package.

Jarnkrok allegedly said he won't report to the AHL next year, which means he would have gone back to Sweden. How many players have gone back to Europe then come BACK to the NHL and had success? The trade was essentially a prospect they were going to lose anyway and a second, and I have a strong suspicion that ownership told Holland that he needed to make sure he made the playoffs.

Jarnkrok allegedly said he won't report to the AHL next year, which means he would have gone back to Sweden. How many players have gone back to Europe then come BACK to the NHL and had success? The trade was essentially a prospect they were going to lose anyway and a second, and I have a strong suspicion that ownership told Holland that he needed to make sure he made the playoffs.

A year ago Jerome Iginla "allegedly" had signed with the Bruins too. That, right before donning that Penguins sweater.

Hard to put that much stock in a comment that has no known source. I don't know why you'd choose to believe this and the the myriad other rumors which go unfounded each and every season. For instance, have you heard Babcock doesn't want to resign with Detroit and may instead be headed to Toronto? Yeah, neither did anyone else. But it's been alleged.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Furled Brow

Our tradition is making the playoffs. So I would lean toward yes.

As a fan, I agree. From a business perspective, it's not surprising. Even more than continuing the playoff streak, the revenue from two home playoff games (with no player contract expense) and potential for more games made it pretty much a no brainer.

If the Wings would have signed Legwand, then I would say the trade was a good one. Just the fact we lost a good prospect for a rental is a little disappointing.

A year ago Jerome Iginla "allegedly" had signed with the Bruins too. That, right before donning that Penguins sweater.

Hard to put that much stock in a comment that has no known source. I don't know why you'd choose to believe this and the the myriad other rumors which go unfounded each and every season. For instance, have you heard Babcock doesn't want to resign with Detroit and may instead be headed to Toronto? Yeah, neither did anyone else. But it's been alleged.

First, Iginla did sign with Boston. He was traded to the Pens. Second, several writers said that Jarnkrok had said he wouldn't play in GR next year. Third, Babcock said himself that he wasn't in a hurry to sign an extension, and would be ok with going year to year, but that he wasn't going anywhere this year. http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/04/red_wings_mike_babcock_says_ge.html

First, Iginla did sign with Boston. He was traded to the Pens. Second, several writers said that Jarnkrok had said he wouldn't play in GR next year. Third, Babcock said himself that he wasn't in a hurry to sign an extension, and would be ok with going year to year, but that he wasn't going anywhere this year. http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/04/red_wings_mike_babcock_says_ge.html

Babs could be playing smart and want to coach for an organization that was the potential of winning a cup.... I may be catching some flack for that comment, but this team really needs to add some D and shake up the offense

I could see Legwand ending up on Carolina or Columbus

Edited by Rivalred

I don't think I'm being clear. I know that Babs isn't leaving. He said so. But there are rumors to the contrary anyway. Much like there are rumors that Jarnkrok would leave for Sweden despite his publicly stating the contrary. So why believe the rumor in Jarnkrok's case and not Babcock's? The only credible person who reported Jarnkrok leaving was Bob McKenzie, who said Jarnkrok "may" go back to Sweden. Later that day Wings Assistant GM Ryan Martin told Steve Ambrose of Fox17 that he'd never heard Jarnkrok wanted out of the organization. Why believe McKenzie and not the assistant general manager of the team?

The point about the Iginla trade was to suggest that EVEN IF a credible person reports it, in this case Aaron Ward, they sometimes still get it wrong. Ward reported that Iginla to Boston was a done deal, when in reality he had blocked the Boston trade and picked the Pens.

Basing your opinion of the Jarnkrok-Legwand trade on this rumor, which has zero corroborating evidence, is stupid. And since you're not a stupid guy, you should probably reconsider using it as the basis for your evaluation of the trade.

Doesn't mean your position on the trade is wrong, it's just based on a faulty premise.

Edited by kipwinger

They kept the streak alive so I'm going to say yes.

Bringing in Legwand to keep the streak alive made the team weaker going forward.

The only rumor I heard was that Toronto wants him, not that he is even considering leaving.

Iginla to Boston was done, until Iginla changed his mind at the last minute. It's also a totally different situation from Legwand-Jarnkrok.

Edited by DickieDunn

The only rumor I heard was that Toronto wants him, not that he is even considering leaving.

Iginla to Boston was done, until Iginla changed his mind at the last minute. It's also a totally different situation from Legwand-Jarnkrok.

I'm not sure if I'm not being clear or if you're being obtuse on purpose. The "Jarnkrok back to Sweden" rumor didn't amount to s***. It was predicated on hearsay and was debunked by the Wings assistant general manager, as well as Jarnkrok himself. Are we on the same page now? I'm not sure how much more obviously and clearly I can make that point. If you choose to believe it, and base your opinion of the trade off of it, I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by kipwinger