• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#41 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

Wasn't worth it to give Jarnkrok and 2nd/3rd for him,but to be honest neither has much value as a 4th line winger where Babs played him lately which is completely wrong in my opinion

#42 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

Legwand wasn't on the "fourth" line because he can't cut it as a second line center. He was on that line so give the team some balance to play 4th lines. It's not like the 4th line was only playing a few minutes a game here. They were getting 2nd line ice time depending on the game, dating back to the end of the regular season. But if you want to base your arguments solely off of looking at the lineup sheet, then go right ahead. Babs depended on that line to play a lot of important minutes in the series. You make it sound as if he was nothing  more than a 4th liner seeing 3 or 4 minutes per game.

Don't worry, Weiss will have you eating crow soon enough

If legwand was that good he'd be in the top 6 believe me it's not like our guys outside of datsyuk did anything that series

And well see about weiss been 2 years he's done f*** all

I do hope he gets his 50 pts cause were stuck with him ... I'm sure as he'll not expecting him to get 60-80 that will never happen

#43 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

If legwand was that good he'd be in the top 6 believe me it's not like our guys outside of datsyuk did anything that series

And well see about weiss been 2 years he's done f*** all

I do hope he gets his 50 pts cause were stuck with him ... I'm sure as he'll not expecting him to get 60-80 that will never happen

Weiss was with us for 1 season. Played hurt while he was here. What a bust! But yes, lets just ignore everything about his past so we can complain about him.

#44 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

Weiss was with us for 1 season. Played hurt while he was here. What a bust! But yes, lets just ignore everything about his past so we can complain about him.

Ignore everything from his past lmao like those 4 pts in 17 games he had in Florida? I'm sorry but your a bit delusional ... I'd expect him to get his 50 pts nothing else he's not a star

#45 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

Ignore everything from his past lmao like those 4 pts in 17 games he had in Florida? I'm sorry but your a bit delusional ... I'd expect him to get his 50 pts nothing else he's not a star

I'm delusional because Weiss has always been a good, consistent and reliable player until he ran into a bit of bad luck with injuries? Argue my points all day long. No need to resort to calling someone delusional.  You're ignoring everything he has ever accomplished, and picking out stats from an injured season so you can complain about him. 

How about getting back on topic, as Weiss has nothing to do with Legwand.

#46 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

Ya you lost me lol first off beloved Franzen? I don't even want him to return I'm sick of his inconsistencies .... That being said I do think he's a top 6 guy ... I just think it's time to turn the page

And who has 5 more pts legwand? Well not for nothing Nashville isn't stacked with any real offensive threats which is why he probably got a lot of the ice time there which is why I said he's really a number 3 guy on most good teams and got s***

Couldn't even crack the top 4 here ... One of the same reasonings I gave for weiss and got s*** as well .... Injuries or not he's been a disaster for 2 yrs as well ... But we're talking about legwand here so forget weiss

Sigh. Franzen is not a top-six skater.   & Legwand has five more points than Franzen.  And did you look at the minutes/game between Legwand and Franzen?  Guess what... Legwand had less than 1.5minutes/game of ice time than Franzen.  And almost 4mins/game less in the playoffs.  And Franzen got a whopping ONE more playoff point that Legwand in 20+minutes of hockey (almost a whole additional period)... while playing the scoring role.

Where's the Price Is Right buzzer right now? Hmm.

And it wasn't that he couldn't... it's that Babcock didn't let him.  He seemed to help carry the team just fine as the 2nd line center down the stretch, no?

Edited by _SP_, 26 April 2014 - 08:23 PM.

#47 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

Legwand will not be back... and we gave them Zetterberg 2.0 for a rental...

Kenny is saying one thing and doing opposite...

I think people are highly underestimating Zetterberg here. While Jarnkrok may turn into a good NHLer, it's wild speculation to claim he will ever have the passion, heart, and will to win of our current captain.

Well, 11 points in his first 12 games will do that.

Not to people who understand all of Z's intangibles.

#48 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

I think people are highly underestimating Zetterberg here. While Jarnkrok may turn into a good NHLer, it's wild speculation to claim he will ever have the passion, heart, and will to win of our current captain.

Not to people who understand all of Z's intangibles.

I don't think Jarnkrok will ever be as good as Z. But that doesn't mean we didn't overpay for Legwand.

#49 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

Jarnkrok still wasn't going to make the team for a few years anyway, and by that time he would already be 24. Jurco and Sheahan are younger then him, and are 2 years ahead of him in their development. Jarnkrok is a late bloomer, and the Wings can't wait 4+ years for their draft picks to make the team. I'd make the Legwand trade again, and again.

Edited by Barrie, 26 April 2014 - 10:14 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#50 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

I liked acquiring legwand and Im the kind of guy who like trading prospects for proven players. But I didn't understand how our best prospect is equal to a third line center second for us with all the injuries. IMO we should've tried to get them to throw in Josi and we could add another prospect.

#51 CMatt89

CMatt89

The REAL great one...

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:28 PM

The playoff streak was more valuable than a taking a risk at the future. I personally think thats bad strategy but who am i..

#52 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

The playoff streak was more valuable than a taking a risk at the future. I personally think thats bad strategy but who am i..

My god who cares about a streak. It's cool don't get me wrong but what's better.

Braves winning the division like 20 straight years AND INE CHAMPIONSHIP or the Yankees who have like 27.

You don't play sports to JUST make the playoffs. It's all about the championships. Now if your Columbus and you make playoffs...ya you can be excited cause you haven't experienced it before.

I'm a wings steelers tigers and michigan fan. It's championship or bust every year. I watched michigan lose their streak. Ya it sucked...but who cares EVERYONE experiences a transition at some point. CHAMPIONSHIP OR BUST.

#53 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

I have no idea what Weiss will bring next year.  But he's already signed, has a NTC and can't be bought out with a compliance buyout.

Wait...

Weiss has an NTC???? Wtf?

#54 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,551 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

I think adding Legwand helped get us into the playoffs. So right now, I'll say yes.

Talk to me in a couple years for a more complete and confident answer...

This right here...

Legwand played well while Dats/Hank were outta action...Hindsight being 20/20 we'll see in a few more years to what we had given up.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#55 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

Wait...

Weiss has an NTC???? Wtf?

Ya holland thought Weiss AND Sammy were so good he they both got NTC LOL

#56 PumpIron

PumpIron

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:14 PM

Im not big on Legwand at all, hes done nothing that we could of gotten from someone outta GR.

Let him walk, not worth the paystub.

#57 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,228 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:35 PM

I think adding Legwand helped get us into the playoffs. So right now, I'll say yes.

Talk to me in a couple years for a more complete and confident answer...

One of the first things we actually agree upon. Jarnkrok had no real future here, too much depth at C already and he was getting impatient

#58 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:41 PM

My god who cares about a streak. It's cool don't get me wrong but what's better.

Braves winning the division like 20 straight years AND INE CHAMPIONSHIP or the Yankees who have like 27.

You don't play sports to JUST make the playoffs. It's all about the championships. Now if your Columbus and you make playoffs...ya you can be excited cause you haven't experienced it before.

I'm a wings steelers tigers and michigan fan. It's championship or bust every year. I watched michigan lose their streak. Ya it sucked...but who cares EVERYONE experiences a transition at some point. CHAMPIONSHIP OR BUST.

You act like trying to make the playoffs and trying to build a championship team are mutually exclusive goals. They're not. Nor, I think, was our intent this season to just make the playoffs. Getting into the playoffs means you have a chance to do something more. Maybe not a good chance, or even a realistic chance, but a chance nonetheless.

And it's not like we traded away Crosby either. Jarnkrok was a good prospect, may yet turn out to be a great player, but thus far there's nothing that looks particularly special about him. He's out of waiver exemptions after next year. Sheahan, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Mantha, and Athanasiou are all on a similar timetable, and all look to have similar or better potential. Add that to Tatar and Nyquist, plus all the vets, grinder types, and possible UFA additions... there wasn't room for everyone anyway. Still isn't really. Jarnkrok was not our future, just a possible piece of it.

Regardless how Jarnkrok turns out, or what happens with Legwand, the move made sense given our situation at the time. Giving up a good prospect for a temp isn't ideal, but neither was our situation. Maybe we overpaid, maybe we could have gotten the same results calling up Jarnkrok, maybe he'll turn out to be a star... but none of that really matters.

#59 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:14 AM

Nope! When I heard it was Jarnkrok I was more then upset at the trade...let alone what did he do? Couldn't at least give the kid a chance first, it's david legwand for Pete's sake!
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#60 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:17 AM

Hind site is 20/20 right? He helped us make the playoffs, granted he then disappeared, most likely because he's just another declining 30+ year old.

I think he was worth it, but Holland should have been able to get a better player for the price he paid, or gotten Legwand for less. But really I'm just done crying over a minor leaguer. If Jarnkrok becomes great-I'll tip my hat to him, but until then he's just another prospect and we all know they don't always work out.  

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen