• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#121 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

I honestly doubt that Calle would have cracked our lineup. We have a S-ton of centers.  The way I see it Sheahan > Jarnkrok

#122 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:03 AM

Was Legwand worth it? Is this one of those rhetorical questions that no one can answer like if a branch breaks in the woods with no one around does it make a sound, or where does Franzen's game go for 20 game stretches at a time?

Actually, that's quite simple- it does make a sound. If you put a deaf person on the freeway and have a semi honk for the last 500 yards before running him over, do you think anyone would dare claim the trucker didn't honk - on the basis that the deaf person didn't hear it?

Ugh.  Sorry.  Picked up an extra shift tonight so I'm super cranky LOL.  One more hour to go... Don't mean to take it out on you, but I hate that question/commercial.

#123 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

I honestly doubt that Calle would have cracked our lineup. We have a S-ton of centers.  The way I see it Sheahan > Jarnkrok

I agree.
But sheahan was a huge surprise, so jarnkrok could end up exceeding expectations as well.
I hope he's the next brunnstrom, but who knows at this point.

Legwand played better than I imagined he would for a few weeks.
So I'll say the trade was worth it, they did what they had to to have a chance in the playoffs, its disappointing he didn't show up down the stretch, but you can't blame a borderline 2nd line center for not producing playing wing on the 4th line.

#124 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

It depends, it really was to continue the streak and that's about it. It depends on what's important for you. Legwand got you guys a 23rd year, but nothing else.

If you remove the streak from the equation, it looks like a pretty dumb move by KH.

#125 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

we have a s*** ton of centers but d and z are old, weiss and helm are injury prone, andersson and glendening are fourth liners, sheahan is the only one that we can look forward to in the future. calle was supposed to be our future line 1 or 2 center after d and z retire. we better sign malykhin.

#126 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:43 PM

In the long run no, he was quiet in the Playoff, but so were many other players. Time to shake up the roster
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#127 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

In the long run no, he was quiet in the Playoff, but so were many other players. Time to shake up the roster

Datsyuk wouldn't have scored with Legwand's line mates either.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#128 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

I'm enjoying all these "sign malykhin" comments.

#129 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

http://www.freep.com...RTS05/305060038

Well, it looks like he won't be resigned.  I guess I question why Holland traded for him in the first place at this stage.  Yes, I know, to make the playoffs.  I still believe we should have given the kid a chance at the NHL level first.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#130 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

I'm enjoying all these "sign malykhin" comments.

Why?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#131 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:01 AM

Well, it looks like he won't be resigned.  I guess I question why Holland traded for him in the first place at this stage.  Yes, I know, to make the playoffs.  I still believe we should have given the kid a chance at the NHL level first.

He was signed because Joakim Andersson was the first line center. Seriously, reread that sentence and let it soak in. Andersson is a borderline NHL player and he was playing 1C. Even if the team was mathematically out of playoff contention that is still unacceptable. Something had to be done, so Holland pulled the trigger on Legwand.<-------------That is why Detroit traded for him.

Edited by Dave, 06 May 2014 - 09:19 AM.

#132 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,904 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

As a fan, I agree.  From a business perspective, it's not surprising.  Even more than continuing the playoff streak, the revenue from two home playoff games (with no player contract expense) and potential for more games made it pretty much a no brainer. 

#133 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:55 AM

Legwand not being brought back because with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, Sheahan, Helm, Glendenning, and Andersson, there's no room at center.

There would have been no room for Jarnkrok either.

This trade was a wash.

The only beef any logical Wings fan could have with the Legwand deal is that Calle could have been part of a better deal this offseason for that coveted top four D-man.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#134 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:13 PM

Legwand not being brought back because with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, Sheahan, Helm, Glendenning, and Andersson, there's no room at center.

There would have been no room for Jarnkrok either.

This trade was a wash.

The only beef any logical Wings fan could have with the Legwand deal is that Calle could have been part of a better deal this offseason for that coveted top four D-man.

It's not a wash though for a few reasons:

#1 Jarnkrok has years of cheap team control left.

#2 He's still wavier exmept

#3 Weiss, Zetterberg and Helm all have long track records of being injured and the Wings have no center depth, look at the names you listed. 

#4 The 2nd rounder that also was part of the package.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#135 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

Jarnkrok allegedly said he won't report to the AHL next year, which means he would have gone back to Sweden.  How many players have gone back to Europe then come BACK to the NHL and had success?  The trade was essentially a prospect they were going to lose anyway and a second, and I have a strong suspicion that ownership told Holland that he needed to make sure he made the playoffs.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#136 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

Jarnkrok allegedly said he won't report to the AHL next year, which means he would have gone back to Sweden.  How many players have gone back to Europe then come BACK to the NHL and had success?  The trade was essentially a prospect they were going to lose anyway and a second, and I have a strong suspicion that ownership told Holland that he needed to make sure he made the playoffs.

A year ago Jerome Iginla "allegedly" had signed with the Bruins too.  That, right before donning that Penguins sweater. 

Hard to put that much stock in a comment that has no known source.  I don't know why you'd choose to believe this and the the myriad other rumors which go unfounded each and every season.  For instance, have you heard Babcock doesn't want to resign with Detroit and may instead be headed to Toronto?  Yeah, neither did anyone else.  But it's been alleged.

Edited by kipwinger, 06 May 2014 - 03:26 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#137 Furled Brow

Furled Brow

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

Our tradition is making the playoffs. So I would lean toward yes.

#138 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

As a fan, I agree.  From a business perspective, it's not surprising.  Even more than continuing the playoff streak, the revenue from two home playoff games (with no player contract expense) and potential for more games made it pretty much a no brainer. 

If the Wings would have signed Legwand, then I would say the trade was a good one.  Just the fact we lost a good prospect for a rental is a little disappointing.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#139 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

A year ago Jerome Iginla "allegedly" had signed with the Bruins too.  That, right before donning that Penguins sweater. 

Hard to put that much stock in a comment that has no known source.  I don't know why you'd choose to believe this and the the myriad other rumors which go unfounded each and every season.  For instance, have you heard Babcock doesn't want to resign with Detroit and may instead be headed to Toronto?  Yeah, neither did anyone else.  But it's been alleged.

First, Iginla did sign with Boston.  He was traded to the Pens.  Second, several writers said that Jarnkrok had said he wouldn't play in GR next year.  Third, Babcock said himself that he wasn't in a hurry to sign an extension, and would be ok with going year to year, but that he wasn't going anywhere this year. http://www.mlive.com...ck_says_ge.html

#140 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

They kept the streak alive so I'm going to say yes.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg