No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings10

Ken Holland Quotes (Apr 29th

Rate this topic

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames 19m

Red Wings Ken Holland: "I don't have any plans to buy out Johan Franzen"

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames 19m

Red Wings Ken Holland said he'll talk extension with Mike Babcock over the summer.

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames 7m

Red Wings Ken Holland says Anthony Mantha will be on team next year if he beats someone out for job, not entitled to spot.

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames 8s

Stephen Weiss had surgery last week to release scar tissue. Red Wings waiting to see what kind of summer he can have .

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive 9m

Holland hinted he might use his last compliance buyout on Jordin Tootoo. Definitely won't buy out Franzen

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive 8m

Pavel Datsyuk said he'll have MRI on knee before deciding whether to undergo surgery.

Babcock, who has 1 year left On deal, said he doesn't anticipate talking extension this summer. Said he'd be willing to go year to year.

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive 4m

Kindl, Tatar, Abdelkader, Nyquist will play in World Championship. DeKeyser will decide tomorrow. Howard, Zetterberg, Kronwall not playing

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive 10m

Jimmy Howard said he began feeling I'll with flu at 1 PM day of Game 4. He laughed off rumors of concussion. Said it was just the flu.

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive 5m

Holland said he will not grant permission for other teams to speak with Grand Rapids coach Jeff Blashill, who has one year remaining on deal

Edited by Wings10

This just in, Ken Holland at Meijer, doesn't like the sound of the watermelon after doing the "knock" test, will wait and see how things playout as selection isn't ripe enough or overripe, will talk to Babcock via Kik during the summer

Bahahaha.

Thank you for that.

As related to the topic, it kinda seems like jurco and sheahan will be regulars next season.

I've seen multiple quotes from KH and babs that they took jobs.

The only way I see jurco starting out in gr is if mantha comes in and is monumentally better.I just hope he gets a full rookie season when he does come in, I'd like to have a r.o.y candidate.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

I understand the logic behind keeping Franzen, but on the other hand, we know he won't improve. I'd like to see statistics regarding the number of games Franzen contributes in to see if there really is a decline, and if so, keeping him will be a bad move a few years down the line. That's the big consideration for me. We have a chance to fix this without it getting worse. We would need to replace him as a top 6 winger, or maybe find a high scoring third liner, sure, but if one is available you need to cut ties with Franzen, I think.

Babcock just said that Franzen needs to be better and he expects him to be better. But he's been saying that for how long? Franzen won't change. It's how he is and has been for years. It's foolish to keep relying on him and expecting different results. If they keep him they need to at least realize he needs to be further down the depth chart.

^ The worst part is he is signed for 6 more years. He is barely effective now and barely worth his $3.9m salary. How will that be in 3 years? Hopefully he can at least be benched all season or sent down to GR, because you know he won't deserve a roster spot at that point.

I understand the logic behind keeping Franzen, but on the other hand, we know he won't improve. I'd like to see statistics regarding the number of games Franzen contributes in to see if there really is a decline, and if so, keeping him will be a bad move a few years down the line. That's the big consideration for me. We have a chance to fix this without it getting worse. We would need to replace him as a top 6 winger, or maybe find a high scoring third liner, sure, but if one is available you need to cut ties with Franzen, I think.

Babcock just said that Franzen needs to be better and he expects him to be better. But he's been saying that for how long? Franzen won't change. It's how he is and has been for years. It's foolish to keep relying on him and expecting different results. If they keep him they need to at least realize he needs to be further down the depth chart.

Yeah, that's the only way I would personally justify keeping Franzen (playing him on the 3rd line). That's what he was projected to be anyway until he went beast mode for two years in the playoffs.

The quotes about Babcock make me think he might be getting tired of dealing with the rosters that Holland keeps giving him and would consider going to another team after next season. I have mixed feelings about that but we'll see what happens.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140429/SPORTS05/304290145

For some players, today marked their last time in a Wings uniform — there are seven unrestricted free agents, and of those, Daniel Alfredsson is one of the only ones the team is interested in bringing back, provided he wants to play another season.

"It's going to be at least a few weeks before I decide about that," Alfredsson said. He plans to stay in the area through mid-June, as his sons finish up school. "I need to get away from it all and then decide if I want to go through everything to prepare for another season."

Todd Bertuzzi will look for employment elsewhere, as will David Legwand and Mikael Samuelsson. Daniel Cleary, who received a verbal promise of future employment when he agreed to a one-year deal last fall, will be offered something in a capacity outside of playing in Detroit, as the Wings don't see him as a viable player anymore.

Jonas Gustavsson has been so injury-prone, he's hardly worth bringing back. Kyle Quincey, like most defensemen, stands to cash in on the market.

Babcock said the Wings "feel we can improve our back end from within." He specifically wants the defense to gain a right-handed shot, which could create a fit for either Sproul or Andrei Marchenko.

Edited by Wings10

Yeah, that's the only way I would personally justify keeping Franzen (playing him on the 3rd line). That's what he was projected to be anyway until he went beast mode for two years in the playoffs.

The quotes about Babcock make me think he might be getting tired of dealing with the rosters that Holland keeps giving him and would consider going to another team after next season. I have mixed feelings about that but we'll see what happens.

I don't know where people keep getting the idea that Holland and Babcock don't get along. Every time the topic is raised to either one of them the re-iterate how well they get along. Babs has stuck around for 9 years here, with Holland in charge for every single one and he's never complained about him. I also think its pretty crazy to think any GM makes roster decisions or moves without first discussing it with the coach and the rest of his staff.

He's already said he will keep coaching the Wings year to year and if not them, he'll go to U of M.

I'm also not sure where everyone is getting the idea that Franzen is regressing or that he's not as effective now as he was in the past. He put up .76 points per game this year, which is slightly above his career average. He will end up regressing before the end of his contract but so far there aren't any signs that is imminent. The idea of buying him out is ridiculous, the only reason to do it would be to acquire someone better and given the look of this years FA market, its not all that unlikely that Franzen would be the best forward available.

I have been thinking. One thing the Wings have missed is a good net front presents. So, have Homer come in and teach that to Franzen. He's a big body, could be hard to move. It would keep him from floating around. Just get to the net, if the puck goes in the corner, go get it back to the point and go back to the net. Cause I don't really see anyone else on the team right now that could be good at that.

I have been thinking. One thing the Wings have missed is a good net front presents. So, have Homer come in and teach that to Franzen. He's a big body, could be hard to move. It would keep him from floating around. Just get to the net, if the puck goes in the corner, go get it back to the point and go back to the net. Cause I don't really see anyone else on the team right now that could be good at that.

They've tried Franzen there but its not really a great fit. He has the size to do the job, but he's more effective shooting the puck than he is screening the goalie and trying to deflect it.

The best net front presence the Wings have right now is Bertuzzi but he's too much of a liability elsewhere to take a regular shift.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 5m

Holland said he will not grant permission for other teams to speak with Grand Rapids coach Jeff Blashill, who has one year remaining on deal

This quote is very interesting, does it mean Babs might be gone in a couple years and Holland doesn't want to lose Blashill? I also don't like the idea of Holland blocking Blashill from a possibly better opportunity somewhere else, I don't think its professional.

Problem is Franzen doesn't seem willing to do...well...anything. He'll play and lob a few shots at the net, some will go in, but he doesn't seem to buy into anything. He's not a leader and he just wants to show up, make a paycheck and help if he can. That means he is not going to be changing his playing style. Which means he will be exactly the same as he was this year. He'll pot 25 goals in a handful of games, and will go cold when we need him most.

No amount of saying "he needs to get better" will make him get better.

Holland is going to die by his choice to keep Franzen over Hossa. He refuses to admit to that mistake.

Pisses me off to not see Legwand in the plans, but Alfie is? f*** Holland and his man love on soft ass Swedish players! Franzen and Alfie were both useless when it mattered.

Positive to see the old farts and Monster and Q won't be back. Have to trade K and Andersson if you ask me. Why buyout Tootoo? What a waste of a buyout... Holland looking like an idiot again.

Edited by LeftWinger

Holland is going to die by his choice to keep Franzen over Hossa. He refuses to admit to that mistake.

Pisses me off to not see Legwand in the plans, but Alfie is? f*** Holland and his man love on soft ass Swedish players! Franzen and Alfie were both useless when it mattered.

Positive to see the old farts and Monster and Q won't be back. Have to trade K and Andersson if you ask me. Why buyout Tootoo? What a waste of a buyout... Holland looking like an idiot again.

Well if your not gonna buy out franzen why on earth wouldn't you buy out tootoo. I'd say Hollands an idiot if he doesn't buy out tootoo.

Positive to see the old farts and Monster and Q won't be back. Have to trade K and Andersson if you ask me. Why buyout Tootoo? What a ware of a buyout... Holland looking like an idiot again.

Hossa was offered the deal first, he rejected his, Franzen was offered a similar (but less financially lucrative) deal and accepted immediately. Is Hossa the better player? Clearly yes, but he was option #1 and he wanted to see if he could get more money. Franzen was the back-up option.

Alfie is in the plans over Legwand more due to Babcock and his love for RH shots in a line-up dominated by lefties. Legwand also wasn't any more useful when it counted than either of those "Soft Ass Swedish players"

Tootoo is being bought out because Holland is well known as a GM who tries to help his players out of bad situations (See Mike Commodore). Tootoo can't even crack the Griffin's line-up but still has personal hopes of playing in the NHL. Rather than paying him to sit out of hockey completely Holland will do him the favor of allowing him to try and continue his career elsewhere.

didnt see this in the quote list but i saw on twitter; helene st james said something about babcock along the lines of "he will coach the red wings or he will be assistant at university of michigan" so this just adds to my thought that if blashill is ready at the end of next season he will come up and babs will move on. Reassuring if babs really did go to UoM rather than another nhl squad, sure as hell wouldnt want to play against babcock thats for sure.

"Mike Babcock says not worried about negotiating for extension, will either remain coach of Red Wings or be assistant at U of M/ Berenson" - Helene St. James

that would be the tweet idk how to make it all fancy like you guys usually do

I don't know where people keep getting the idea that Holland and Babcock don't get along. Every time the topic is raised to either one of them the re-iterate how well they get along. Babs has stuck around for 9 years here, with Holland in charge for every single one and he's never complained about him. I also think its pretty crazy to think any GM makes roster decisions or moves without first discussing it with the coach and the rest of his staff.

He's already said he will keep coaching the Wings year to year and if not them, he'll go to U of M.

I'm also not sure where everyone is getting the idea that Franzen is regressing or that he's not as effective now as he was in the past. He put up .76 points per game this year, which is slightly above his career average. He will end up regressing before the end of his contract but so far there aren't any signs that is imminent. The idea of buying him out is ridiculous, the only reason to do it would be to acquire someone better and given the look of this years FA market, its not all that unlikely that Franzen would be the best forward available.

shoulda read a little first, beat me too it flashy

i feel like the right handed defense balance was a huge part of our downfall this year. having all lefty's on the back end handcuffs the wings to one side of the ice. The strong side for lefty's whichever that happens to be. It also makes a huge difference when trying to clear the zone, so if youre not two lefty's of high skill such as dekeyser and kronwall you can easily become trapped in your zone with weak clearing attempts when the other team pressures your bad side (see kindl and lashoff)

seeing as theyre known as great friends id love to see the perfect human and homer come back at a later stage in their lives in some type of coaching aspect. One can dream

This quote is very interesting, does it mean Babs might be gone in a couple years and Holland doesn't want to lose Blashill? I also don't like the idea of Holland blocking Blashill from a possibly better opportunity somewhere else, I don't think its professional.

Maybe Holland's sick of losing all his personel to other teams? As happy as I am for Nill, MacLean, McLellan, etc for thier new opportunities over the last few years, other teams' scavenging of the Detroit organization is getting old and frustrating, in a hurry.

Tootoo is actually useless to this team

Not interested in signing Legwand for 5M to be our 4th line center

Weiss can turn out to be a real disaster though

Agreed on all counts.

Hopefully the Wings know exactly where Weiss is health wise before deciding what to do with Legwand. If he's going to be on LTIR all next season I wouldn't mind a 1 year deal on Legwand.