• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings10

Ken Holland Quotes (Apr 29th

Rate this topic

The Wings are unquestionably a better team going into next season than they were going into this season and injuries were by far the biggest factor in how this season played out.

Out the door are, Cleary, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Eaves, Tootoo, Quincey, and from the sound of things Kindl and Andersson aren't far behind

Replaced by Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Glendening, Jurco, Ouellet, likely either Callahan or Ferraro also upfront and possibly Almquist on D.

What free agents of consequence are available? Who exactly are you looking to get rid of?

I don't disagree, the "addition by subtraction" makes the Wings better.. but a lot of those changes have already been made. Quincey is the only real change left on the list. If the team we saw on the ice against Boston is what we're going to see in October, even with the veterans healthy and the kids more experienced, it's still not good enough to contend for the Cup.

You are right... the crop of UFAs leaves much to be desired. Most of them are guys we've never really heard of or guys we didn't know were still in the league. There are a few high-end players, but who knows if they'll be available come July 1st. Any team looking to make a real splash in the off-season will have to keep an eye on RFA negotiations around the league and explore the trade market.

Top UFA Forwards: Cammalleri, Iginla, Jussi Jokinen, Michalek, Moulson, Raymond, Stastny, Vanek, Vrbata... a few of these guys will be expensive, some won't be too bad, and they all can pop in 20 goals.

"Top" UFA Defensemen: Dan Boyle, Mark Fayne, Matt Greene, Ron Hainsey, Scott Hannan, Andrei Markov, Derek Morris, Nikita Nikitin, Matt Niskanen, Brooks Orpik, Marek Zidlicky... we're basically looking for a stopgap for a year or two, or an upgrade over Kindl and Lashoff.

Who would I get rid of? I'd have a heart-to-heart with Franzen, find out if he really wants to play, what it would take to get him more engaged, how long he expects to play... and evaluate keeping him, possibly facing a cap-recapture penalty, or buying him out. (I know Holland is keeping him.) I'd buy out Tootoo, let him find an NHL roster spot elsewhere. I'd look to move Kindl. I'd be open to moving a good number of players if the right trade was available.

Watch it here :

So I'd take any quotes postet here with a grain of salt. He did say them but Kenny doesn't sound as if he already made up his mind about his moves in the offseason. How could he, our season is just over since a few days.

That video made me like ken Holland a bit more.

Been a while since I seen that fire, and he lists off a bunch of kids in the ahl, and says apparently these kids are better than we thought.

Love it.

Guest Playmaker

WUT?

You don't buy out Tootoo because he costs nothing and is potentially tradable....

Actually, he costs 1.9 million, couldn't crack the lineup when absolutely everyone was out of the lineup, he cleared waivers 3 times and absolutely no one was interested in taking him for free.

Actually, he costs 1.9 million, couldn't crack the lineup when absolutely everyone was out of the lineup, he cleared waivers 3 times and absolutely no one was interested in taking him for free.

He wouldn't be free. Someone would have had to pickup his contract. Yea, I get what you are saying though.

I'm pretty much fine with everything Holland said, except with the major exception being Franzen. I didn't expect Holland to ultimately buy him out, but it needs to be done.

Don't really want any of the UFA's back except Alfie. The Wings need to upgrade from Quincey whether via trade or free agency. Even if that's just a stopgap veteran until some of the prospects are ready, they desperately could use a puck moving d-man that contributes offensively. Sounds like Marchenko, Ouellet and Sproul will all get a shot to make the team, which is great news for the end of Kindl and Lashoff.

It would be nice if the Wings could get some size in the top-six on the wing (Franzen doesn't count) because clearly that was lacking against Boston. I love Nyquist and Tatar, but you can't have all players in that mold. Maybe Jurco gets there eventually as with his size.

Basically yes but Blashill said he wants to coach another season in the AHL and the FO is happy with him. Conversations would then be like this:

other GM: Hello Mr. Holland can I please get your permission to talk to your AHL coach ?

Holland: Sure thing, number...

other GM: Hello Mr. Blashill you've done a great job in the AHL and paid your dues would you like to come up and sign with us ?

Blashill: Sorry, I like my job here and don't feel I'm ready.

other GM: but b....but

This way there is no grey area, Blashill can focus on his AHL job and other teams know he doesn't want to leave, so no reason for granting them permission. In the last years Detroit has been one of the teams, which always allowed others to talk to their FO stuff (McLellan, Yzerman, Nill, MacLean..). So it's not like the Wings are against it, Holland just sees no reason and it seems like Blashill wants to stay where he is so a no brainer.

You make it seem like every GM is going to be accosting Holland in the Meijer bathroom, just to lure away Blashill.

But listen if Jeff doesn't want to go anywhere it's not an issue, it's only a problem if Blashill wants to look for a head coaching gig somewhere else.

Only you could argue that something costs $1.9 million and then claim that it was free in the same sentence :clap::bye1:

Guest Playmaker

I think what often gets lost in the Franzen conversation is what a buyout entails. In essence, the Wings have to pay Franzen $jkig22 milion to just go away. Billionaire or not, that's a s*** ton of money for the Ilitch family to pay out. Plus it means having to pay another player that much or more to take his place. I'd love to have Franzen gone, but would it be as worth it if it was coming out of your pocket?

Guest Playmaker

Only you could argue that something costs $1.9 million and then claim that it was free in the same sentence :clap::bye1:

Only you could think an NHL player would play for no salary. The original post said that Tootoo costs The Wings nothing and had trade potential. Tootoo does cost the Wings because he is under contract with them for another year at $1.9 million and any team could have had him for free, meaning they would not have had to give anyone or anything up to get him as a player on their roster. Which part of that was so hard to comprehend?

But again, your fascination with everything I say is flattering.

I thought Holland sounded pretty defensive. Furthermore, I think it was easy to decipher that the Legwand trade was just to extend the streak based off his comments. Personally, I'd have liked to roll the dice with Calle Jarnkrok (all things considered/him staying in North America) .

Anyone else peeved with the Jurco pronunciation? Kenny talked a lot about this "Jerk-O" kid.

If Franzen is replaced with grittier, more energetic and more physical players who score and contribute? Absolutely keep him. He can play on the 4th line and kill penalties. If he doesn't choose to do that, let him ride the buses. If he's not going to buy him out, then put better players on the team so we don't need to count on him to be our "scorer".

If Franzen is replaced with grittier, more energetic and more physical players who score and contribute? Absolutely keep him. He can play on the 4th line and kill penalties. If he doesn't choose to do that, let him ride the buses. If he's not going to buy him out, then put better players on the team so we don't need to count on him to be our "scorer".

Paying a guy that kind of money to play on the 4th line isn't sensible (unless it's the 2002 Wings)

If he did plan on buying Franzen out, would he have said so?

Or would he just say, "I can't comment on anything right now?"

Who knows.

If he was planning on buying him out though he definitely wouldn't tell the media "I have no plans of buying out Johan Franzen".

Seriously this is one - if not the best - end of season interview I've listened from him in a loooong time. Holland wanting to watch even more from Boston is a great thing, a lot of teams can learn a lot from that almost perfect team.

You can tell he is pissed but Holland really makes a lot of good points when it comes down to the development of our young guys fans and the media would absolutely label Mrazek a bust if he craps the bed for 10 games..Let the kids develop in the AHL and bring them up, when Blashill and Babcock are saying they are ready. That was my biggest complaint with the Cleary signing the guy blocked a spot for Nyquist. The best example to me is Jake Gardiner, some Leaffans had NORRIS! threads about this kid two years ago and now they want to trade him, no need to put young 20 year olds - non exceptional players - through this kind of crap.

I also appreciate his honesty about Weiss, the guy has to hit the gym like crazy maybe even 5 - 6 times a week just to make up for that 18 months span and personally I really don't know what to expect from this guy anymore, so hopefully our FO will keep in touch with him over the summer.

It's true the Wings are starting to draft bigger and I absolutely love it but some bigger bodies are needed right now and they are available for cheap, tough fourth line guys are making around 750 - 1.000 k that's nothing compared to average NHL salaries.

Don't know but after listening to Babcock, Zetterberg and now even Holland I really believe them getting antsy could lead to a better future.

Pretty much agree with everything you say here.

We have to accept the that we are a team in transition now with many old players past their prime but also many young players who haven't reached their full potential yet. That mix simply doesn't make us cupcontender. But in two or three years we might have the exact right mix. Few old Superstars in Z and Dats, a core full of players in their prime and a few young talents to bolster the lineup. As strange as it sounds, the best solution may be to sit and wait, let the young guys develop, try your luck on the FA - market. But don't trade away your picks or your prospects in panic-moves or just to try out something new.

didnt see this in the quote list but i saw on twitter; helene st james said something about babcock along the lines of "he will coach the red wings or he will be assistant at university of michigan" so this just adds to my thought that if blashill is ready at the end of next season he will come up and babs will move on. Reassuring if babs really did go to UoM rather than another nhl squad, sure as hell wouldnt want to play against babcock thats for sure.

"Mike Babcock says not worried about negotiating for extension, will either remain coach of Red Wings or be assistant at U of M/ Berenson" - Helene St. James

WHAT THE....?

Assistant at U of M?

Is this a bit of a joke, or is he saying he'd like to take over for Red Berenson (who obviously has to retire at some point since he's 75 next season)?

WHAT THE....?

Assistant at U of M?

Is this a bit of a joke, or is he saying he'd like to take over for Red Berenson (who obviously has to retire at some point since he's 75 next season)?

Yes it was a joke. The full quote was something like: my daughter's in grade 12 so i'm staying in Detroit. If I'm not coaching the Wing I'll be assistant to Red Berenson - Even though I haven't talked to red about that

My problem with holland is his bs of liking the team, injury trade deadline acquisitions, signing vets. Also Concerning free agency you almost have to overpay what team in this league doesn't have an overpaid player? I don't understand the tendency to abstain from free agency because you might over pay considering a large number of players are and will be overpaid on every team

My problem with holland is his bs of liking the team, injury trade deadline acquisitions, signing vets. Also Concerning free agency you almost have to overpay what team in this league doesn't have an overpaid player? I don't understand the tendency to abstain from free agency because you might over pay considering a large number of players are and will be overpaid on every team

Tendency to abstain from free agency? Last year we Alfie and Weiss as free agents. Previous year: Gustavsson, Tootoo. Also, Sammy. And we did overpay in some of these cases (22 for sure).

This year should be mostly internal development. Maybe a top D or scorer from free agency, but the candidates are few.

Tendency to abstain from free agency? Last year we Alfie and Weiss as free agents. Previous year: Gustavsson, Tootoo. Also, Sammy. And we did overpay in some of these cases (22 for sure).

This year should be mostly internal development. Maybe a top D or scorer from free agency, but the candidates are few.

While specific cases can prove or disprove the benefit of free agency, I was speaking to the general sense of FA. I would love to have parise or suter. Honestly I could have told you many of those signings were bad from the getgo. Anyway all I was trying to say is spend for very good or elite players not middle of the road guys

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 10m

Jimmy Howard said he began feeling I'll with flu at 1 PM day of Game 4. He laughed off rumors of concussion. Said it was just the flu.

And I was the crazy one on here who never bought the concussion rumor...people weren't using their heads on that one.

While specific cases can prove or disprove the benefit of free agency, I was speaking to the general sense of FA. I would love to have parise or suter. Honestly I could have told you many of those signings were bad from the getgo. Anyway all I was trying to say is spend for very good or elite players not middle of the road guys

Okay, you didn't make that clear in the other post.