• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

Holland is going to die by his choice to keep Franzen over Hossa. He refuses to admit to that mistake.

Pisses me off to not see Legwand in the plans, but Alfie is? f*** Holland and his man love on soft ass Swedish players! Franzen and Alfie were both useless when it mattered.

Positive to see the old farts and Monster and Q won't be back. Have to trade K and Andersson if you ask me. Why buyout Tootoo? What a ware of a buyout... Holland looking like an idiot again.

Hossa was offered the deal first, he rejected his, Franzen was offered a similar (but less financially lucrative) deal and accepted immediately. Is Hossa the better player? Clearly yes, but he was option #1 and he wanted to see if he could get more money. Franzen was the back-up option.

Alfie is in the plans over Legwand more due to Babcock and his love for RH shots in a line-up dominated by lefties. Legwand also wasn't any more useful when it counted than either of those "Soft Ass Swedish players"

Tootoo is being bought out because Holland is well known as a GM who tries to help his players out of bad situations (See Mike Commodore). Tootoo can't even crack the Griffin's line-up but still has personal hopes of playing in the NHL. Rather than paying him to sit out of hockey completely Holland will do him the favor of allowing him to try and continue his career elsewhere.

#22 Wings02

Wings02

Thank you dad for not making me a Leafs fan

• 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

didnt see this in the quote list but i saw on twitter; helene st james said something about babcock along the lines of "he will coach the red wings or he will be assistant at university of michigan" so this just adds to my thought that if blashill is ready at the end of next season he will come up and babs will move on. Reassuring if babs really did go to UoM rather than another nhl squad, sure as hell wouldnt want to play against babcock thats for sure. 

"Mike Babcock says not worried about negotiating for extension, will either remain coach of Red Wings or be assistant at U of M/ Berenson" - Helene St. James

that would be the tweet idk how to make it all fancy like you guys usually do

I don't know where people keep getting the idea that Holland and Babcock don't get along. Every time the topic is raised to either one of them the re-iterate how well they get along. Babs has stuck around for 9 years here, with Holland in charge for every single one and he's never complained about him. I also think its pretty crazy to think any GM makes roster decisions or moves without first discussing it with the coach and the rest of his staff.

He's already said he will keep coaching the Wings year to year and if not them, he'll go to U of M. 

I'm also not sure where everyone is getting the idea that Franzen is regressing or that he's not as effective now as he was in the past. He put up .76 points per game this year, which is slightly above his career average. He will end up regressing before the end of his contract but so far there aren't any signs that is imminent. The idea of buying him out is ridiculous, the only reason to do it would be to acquire someone better and given the look of this years FA market, its not all that unlikely that Franzen would be the best forward available.

shoulda read a little first, beat me too it flashy 

i feel like the right handed defense balance was a huge part of our downfall this year. having all lefty's on the back end handcuffs the wings to one side of the ice. The strong side for lefty's whichever that happens to be. It also makes a huge difference when trying to clear the zone, so if youre not two lefty's of high skill such as dekeyser and kronwall you can easily become trapped in your zone with weak clearing attempts when the other team pressures your bad side (see kindl and lashoff) 

I have been thinking. One thing the Wings have missed is a good net front presents. So, have Homer come in and teach that to Franzen. He's a big body, could be hard to move. It would keep him from floating around. Just get to the net, if the puck goes in the corner, go get it back to the point and go back to the net. Cause I don't really see anyone else on the team right now that could be good at that.

seeing as theyre known as great friends id love to see the perfect human and homer come back at a later stage in their lives in some type of coaching aspect. One can dream 

#23 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

This quote is very interesting, does it mean Babs might be gone in a couple years and Holland doesn't want to lose Blashill? I also don't like the idea of Holland blocking Blashill from a possibly better opportunity somewhere else, I don't think its professional. 

Maybe Holland's sick of losing all his personel to other teams? As happy as I am for Nill, MacLean, McLellan, etc for thier new opportunities over the last few years, other teams' scavenging of the Detroit organization is getting old and frustrating, in a hurry.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#24 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

Tootoo is actually useless to this team

Not interested in signing Legwand for 5M to be our 4th line center

Weiss can turn out to be a real disaster though

#25 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Tootoo is actually useless to this team

Not interested in signing Legwand for 5M to be our 4th line center

Weiss can turn out to be a real disaster though

Agreed on all counts.

Hopefully the Wings know exactly where Weiss is health wise before deciding what to do with Legwand. If he's going to be on LTIR all next season I wouldn't mind a 1 year deal on Legwand.

#26 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

Agreed on all counts.

Hopefully the Wings know exactly where Weiss is health wise before deciding what to do with Legwand. If he's going to be on LTIR all next season I wouldn't mind a 1 year deal on Legwand.

Or Statsny.

edit: on (what would most definitely have to be) a mult-year deal. Then deal with the Weiss situation if/when he's ever healthy again.

Edited by rick zombo, 29 April 2014 - 02:38 PM.

#27 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

Hossa was offered the deal first, he rejected his, Franzen was offered a similar (but less financially lucrative) deal and accepted immediately. Is Hossa the better player? Clearly yes, but he was option #1 and he wanted to see if he could get more money. Franzen was the back-up option.

This. This. This. This. This.

A tousand times over. I'm actually blown away that this never gets talked about more.

#28 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

Maybe Holland's sick of losing all his personel to other teams? As happy as I am for Nill, MacLean, McLellan, etc for thier new opportunities over the last few years, other teams' scavenging of the Detroit organization is getting old and frustrating, in a hurry.

Whatever the reason, I still don't think its right to block someone from bettering their position. 

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#29 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

u

o

That Babcock quote is exactly what I've been fearing for a long time. The guy - and who can blame him - may not want to go through some tough rebuilding years or just hope to make the playoffs. Maybe it's coincidence but him not being dedicated to talk extension this summer and other teams not getting permission to talk to Blashill doesn't exactly point a contract extension for the best coach in hockey :( but man I wouldn't wanzt to face a Babock coached team, he may go away from the game for 1 - 2 years and then decide to come back :(

as for Mule well it's going to be the last opportunity anyways  that combined with the Weiss deal could really hurt this franchise for a long time. With the way Franzen is going through the motions I really don't see him playing out his contract and then the recapture will kick in so this is a gamble I would not be willing to take.

Yeah buying out Tootoo who has one year remaining on his contract and provides at least some sort of protection for the GR is a great move.

In Mantha's case all I can hope for is that they don't rush him let him pay his dues in the AHL, bulk up even more and come up when he is fully ready not before it.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#30 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,568 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

I don't care if we lose Babcock or not, and I also wouldn't want to resign Legwand for $5M, but there is no way he will be our #4 center anyhow.  Whatever, I just think since we gave up a ton (in comparison to others on Trade Day) that Legwand should at least be in the immediate future plans for a couple of seasons...but again, not at $5M.

I do not like that they say that hey are going to build the D from within...I do like our kids, but I just think we need a vet or two to bridge the gap while the kids gain experience. BUT, I do feel that Marchenko, Sproul and Ouellet are going good solid players and am excited to see their progress.  If they aren't going to bolster their D with better NHL players, then they damn well better convince Howard to waive his NTC because he proved this season that he cannot make the save when needed and needs a BETTER defense in front of him, not a greener one... Damn Holland, you are going to have $20M available and you want to fill you roster full of rookies? Why save the cap Kenny, so you can acquire that player at the deadline? Give us all a break!

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#31 rking72

rking72

Prospect

• 46 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks buy out Hossa this off season...that would be kind of funny

#32 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

Whatever the reason, I still don't think its right to block someone from bettering their position. 

Why? He signed a contract, he has stated he wants to stay the year in grand rapids.

If I had an employee sign a contract possibly with a no compete clause or something of the like, and it was my say if he is allowed to negotiate elsewhere, and he/she was a valuable employee, I definitely would say no too.

If he is unhappy he can tell Holland he would like to leave, but he is still under contract and until that contract is done he shouldn't be talking to other employers. Same goes with players. They can't discuss new contracts with other teams till the old one ends.

#33 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

Why? He signed a contract, he has stated he wants to stay the year in grand rapids.

If I had an employee sign a contract possibly with a no compete clause or something of the like, and it was my say if he is allowed to negotiate elsewhere, and he/she was a valuable employee, I definitely would say no too.

If he is unhappy he can tell Holland he would like to leave, but he is still under contract and until that contract is done he shouldn't be talking to other employers. Same goes with players. They can't discuss new contracts with other teams till the old one ends.

While I get what your saying, its also a wildly accepted practice to allow coaches/assistants, to interview for positions in other organizations that are better then their current one.  

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#34 wings7

wings7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

Well if your not gonna buy out franzen why on earth wouldn't you buy out tootoo. I'd say Hollands an idiot if he doesn't buy out tootoo.

WUT?

You don't buy out Tootoo because he costs nothing and is potentially tradable....

#35 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

WUT?

You don't buy out Tootoo because he costs nothing and is potentially tradable....

1,900,000 is far from nothing in the NHL and he's not trade-able. If he was it would have happened already. He can barely crack the Griffins right now. Wouldn't be surprised if his NHL career is done.

#36 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

WUT?

If he was able to be traded he would have been already. 29 other teams even passed on him for nothing when he had to clear waivers.

#37 wings7

wings7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

1,900,000 is far from nothing in the NHL and he's not trade-able. If he was it would have happened already. He can barely crack the Griffins right now. Wouldn't be surprised if his NHL career is done.

Does it count against the cap if he's in the AHL playing?

If he was able to be traded he would have been already. 29 other teams even passed on him for nothing when he had to clear waivers.

Also, I still think it has to be Franzen or Howard bought out. But what do I know about buy-outs.

Also, I've noticed you just follow me around on here and comment on everything I comment on in a negative/disagreeing way. That's fun for you isn't it? Did you go to any games last year? Any playoff games?

Edited by wings7, 29 April 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#38 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

Does it count against the cap if he's in the AHL playing?

Also, I still think it has to be Franzen or Howard bought out. But what do I know about buy-outs.

Franzen isn't getting bought out, and Howard's contract was signed after the lockout so the compliance buyout cannot be used on him. 

If the buyout is used, it will be on Tootoo. It is bad business to pay someone almost 2 million to play in the AHL. Franzen will play, and as frustrating as his cold spells can be, he will put up his usual numbers. As long as he can be reliable backchecking when he is in a scoring funk, his cap hit is not hurting the team. Howard will rebound. It is not uncommon for a goalie to struggle in the first year of signing a big contract. It happens all the time. 

#39 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

Really sounds like next year will be Babs' last year and they're getting ready to transition him out with Blashill.

Edited by ShanahanMan, 29 April 2014 - 04:39 PM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#40 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

His contract says otherwise.