• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

Only you could argue that something costs $1.9 million and then claim that it was free in the same sentence :clap:  :bye1:

Only you could think an NHL player would play for no salary.  The original post said that Tootoo costs The Wings nothing and had trade potential.  Tootoo does cost the Wings because he is under contract with them for another year at $1.9 million and any team could have had him for free, meaning they would not have had to give anyone or anything up to get him as a player on their roster.  Which part of that was so hard to comprehend?

But again, your fascination with everything I say is flattering.

#62 Paul MacLean's Mustache

Paul MacLean's Mustache

Rookie

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

I thought Holland sounded pretty defensive. Furthermore, I think it was easy to decipher that the Legwand trade was just to extend the streak based off his comments. Personally, I'd have liked to roll the dice with Calle Jarnkrok (all things considered/him staying in North America) .

Anyone else peeved with the Jurco pronunciation? Kenny talked a lot about this "Jerk-O" kid. 

#63 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

If Franzen is replaced with grittier, more energetic and more physical players who score and contribute? Absolutely keep him. He can play on the 4th line and kill penalties. If he doesn't choose to do that, let him ride the buses. If he's not going to buy him out, then put better players on the team so we don't need to count on him to be our "scorer".

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#64 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

If Franzen is replaced with grittier, more energetic and more physical players who score and contribute? Absolutely keep him. He can play on the 4th line and kill penalties. If he doesn't choose to do that, let him ride the buses. If he's not going to buy him out, then put better players on the team so we don't need to count on him to be our "scorer".

Paying a guy that kind of money to play on the 4th line isn't sensible (unless it's the 2002 Wings)

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#65 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

I just love that in two years when they win another cup Daniel Cleary gets another ring.

giphy.gif

I kid the Cleary haters, I kid I kid.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#66 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

If he did plan on buying Franzen out, would he have said so?

Or would he just say, "I can't comment on anything right now?"

Who knows.

If he was planning on buying him out though he definitely wouldn't tell the media "I have no plans of buying out Johan Franzen". 

#67 trule23

trule23

GOON

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

buyout will be on TooToo before Franzen. Franzen's here to stay people deal with it

#68 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

Seriously this is one - if not the best - end of season interview I've listened from him in a loooong time. Holland wanting to watch even more from Boston is a great thing, a lot of teams can learn a lot from that almost perfect team.

You can tell he is pissed but Holland really makes a lot of good points when it comes down to the development of our young guys fans and the media would absolutely label Mrazek a bust if he craps the bed for 10 games..Let the kids develop in the AHL and bring them up, when Blashill and Babcock are saying they are ready.  That was my biggest complaint with the Cleary signing the guy blocked a spot for Nyquist. The best example to me is Jake Gardiner, some Leaffans had NORRIS! threads about this kid two years ago and now they want to trade him, no need to put young 20 year olds - non exceptional players - through this kind of crap.

I also appreciate his honesty about Weiss, the guy has to hit the gym like crazy maybe even 5 - 6 times a week just to make up for that 18 months span and personally I really don't know what to expect from this guy anymore, so hopefully our FO will keep in touch with him over the summer.

It's true the Wings are starting to draft bigger and I absolutely love it but some bigger bodies are needed right now and they are available for cheap, tough fourth line guys are making around 750 - 1.000 k that's nothing compared to average NHL salaries.

Don't know but after listening to Babcock, Zetterberg and now even Holland I really believe them getting antsy could lead to a better future.

Pretty much agree with everything you say here. 

We have to accept the that we are a team in transition now with many old players past their prime but also many young players who haven't reached their full potential yet. That mix simply doesn't make us cupcontender. But in two or three years we might have the exact right mix. Few old Superstars in Z and Dats, a core full of players in their prime and a few young talents to bolster the lineup. As strange as it sounds, the best solution may be to sit and wait, let the young guys develop, try your luck on the FA - market. But don't trade away your picks or your prospects in panic-moves or just to try out something new. 

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#69 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

didnt see this in the quote list but i saw on twitter; helene st james said something about babcock along the lines of "he will coach the red wings or he will be assistant at university of michigan" so this just adds to my thought that if blashill is ready at the end of next season he will come up and babs will move on. Reassuring if babs really did go to UoM rather than another nhl squad, sure as hell wouldnt want to play against babcock thats for sure. 

"Mike Babcock says not worried about negotiating for extension, will either remain coach of Red Wings or be assistant at U of M/ Berenson" - Helene St. James

WHAT THE....? 

Assistant at U of M? 

Is this a bit of a joke, or is he saying he'd like to take over for Red Berenson (who obviously has to retire at some point since he's 75 next season)?

#70 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

WHAT THE....? 

Assistant at U of M? 

Is this a bit of a joke, or is he saying he'd like to take over for Red Berenson (who obviously has to retire at some point since he's 75 next season)?

Yes it was a joke. The full quote was something like: my daughter's in grade 12 so i'm staying in Detroit. If I'm not coaching the Wing I'll be assistant to Red Berenson - Even though I haven't talked to red about that

#71 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

My problem with holland is his bs of liking the team, injury trade deadline acquisitions, signing vets. Also Concerning free agency you almost have to overpay what team in this league doesn't have an overpaid player? I don't understand the tendency to abstain from free agency because you might over pay considering a large number of players are and will be overpaid on every team
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#72 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

My problem with holland is his bs of liking the team, injury trade deadline acquisitions, signing vets. Also Concerning free agency you almost have to overpay what team in this league doesn't have an overpaid player? I don't understand the tendency to abstain from free agency because you might over pay considering a large number of players are and will be overpaid on every team

Tendency to abstain from free agency? Last year we Alfie and Weiss as free agents. Previous year: Gustavsson, Tootoo. Also, Sammy. And we did overpay in some of these cases (22 for sure).

This year should be mostly internal development. Maybe a top D or scorer from free agency, but the candidates are few.

#73 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

Tendency to abstain from free agency? Last year we Alfie and Weiss as free agents. Previous year: Gustavsson, Tootoo. Also, Sammy. And we did overpay in some of these cases (22 for sure).

This year should be mostly internal development. Maybe a top D or scorer from free agency, but the candidates are few.

While specific cases can prove or disprove the benefit of free agency, I was speaking to the general sense of FA. I would love to have parise or suter. Honestly I could have told you many of those signings were bad from the getgo. Anyway all I was trying to say is spend for very good or elite players not middle of the road guys
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#74 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 10m

Jimmy Howard said he began feeling I'll with flu at 1 PM day of Game 4. He laughed off rumors of concussion. Said it was just the flu.

And I was the crazy one on here who never bought the concussion rumor...people weren't using their heads on that one.

-Elliot

#75 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

While specific cases can prove or disprove the benefit of free agency, I was speaking to the general sense of FA. I would love to have parise or suter. Honestly I could have told you many of those signings were bad from the getgo. Anyway all I was trying to say is spend for very good or elite players not middle of the road guys

Okay, you didn't make that clear in the other post. 

#76 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

I never bought the concussion theory either for Howard, but I did see him being sick...a bit of yellow fever.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#77 Aznknight

Aznknight

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

Red Wings Ken Holland asked to summarize all the quotes he provided for the last couple of days: 'We like our team'

#78 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:16 AM

Ken Holland quote August 31st 2014:

Ultimately, we kicked some tires but the price was too steep to bring in a free agent RH defenceman. We feel the return of a more experienced Quincey and Kindl solidifies our backend. The return of a healthy pav and Z gives us all we need and franzen tells me he has been resurged.

I traded tatar and 2 conditional 1st round picks for the rights to Chris Chelios, but ultimately I did not kick the tires hard enough and we won't be adding his veteran leadership this season.

I cried after reading this. Why? Because it's the most truthful thing I've ever read.

#79 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:06 AM

i am missing one quote by KH

"We don't know when the captain will stop growing his beard"

My wish: A healthy roster

#80 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 683 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

Can we please shelve the "kick the tires," "we like our team," "(player x getting healthy) is our deadline acquisition," and "our PP is our enforcer" jokes alongside "(player y) is lazy and sucks," and "what's to stop Chris Chelios from..." as tired?  I'm begging you, please.  This board needs new material.

PS:  The beard quote is pretty great.

Edited by Uncle Danny, 01 May 2014 - 05:07 PM.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut