Photo
- - - - -

Remember when the Pens locked out Michigan ticket buyers?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Gizmo

Gizmo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

Remember when the Pens refused to sell tickets to anyone with a Michigan ZIP code for the Finals in an effort to keep their "red" from ruining their "white out" home games?  Well, hopefully this will put an end to the practice: Can Sports Teams Keep Rival Fans Away?

When Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman crushed the Super Bowl dreams of 49ers fan John E. Williams III, Williams wasn't there to see it in person. For that, he wants $50 million.

Williams filed suit this month against the Seattle Seahawks, the NFL, and Ticketmaster; he's alleging the practice of restricting ticket sales to residents of certain states is a violation of federal law.

For January's NFC Championship game in Seattle, the Seahawks limited online ticket sales to credit card holders who lived in Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Alaska, Hawaii, and some parts of Canada. Williams, a diehard 49ers fan and Las Vegas resident, couldn't buy himself a ticket—exactly what the Seahawks intended.

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... outta da crease... in-a da crease... outta da crease!!!"

#2 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

Remember when the Pens refused to sell tickets to anyone with a Michigan ZIP code for the Finals in an effort to keep their "red" from ruining their "white out" home games?  Well, hopefully this will put an end to the practice: Can Sports Teams Keep Rival Fans Away?

And people think this guy is going to win such a lawsuit ? It's not a violation it's called making use of your "my home - YOU out" right. The NFL and other lawyers will just bring up the analogies to neighbour rights, properties and other stuff. Every owner has the right to decline others the usage of his property, if you don't want to sell to people from a certain ZIP code, location whatever nobody can force you to do so.

None the less will be an interesting precedent for sure. I mean aren't the Predators doing something similar against the Blackhawks ?

Edited by frankgrimes, 29 April 2014 - 06:16 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#3 Mike J.

Mike J.

Rookie

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

Denver did a similar thing for the AFC championship game as well, they blocked out as many New England fans from buying tickets as they could

#4 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it. A business owner doesn't want to sell tickets to a certain group of people. It's fine by me.

#5 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

None the less will be an interesting precedent for sure. I mean aren't the Predators doing something similar against the Blackhawks ?

To the Wings too.  It was called "Keep the red out".

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#6 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

I agree to an extent that they shouldn't be allowed to discriminate. But at the end of the day it is the owners discretion who he can and cannot sell tickets to. No chance of winning that lawsuit.

#7 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

I think this will win in court, or at least get settled.
Its kind of logical.

#8 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,915 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

At least the Penguins stopped doing their idiotic white outs. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#9 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:23 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it. A business owner doesn't want to sell tickets to a certain group of people. It's fine by me.

Same here a business owner doesn't have to sell to everybody he has the right to choose his customers. Maybe not the smartest business decision by teams like Nashville but I understand their reasoning behind it.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#10 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:34 AM

Anyways I think its s***ty not to sell tickets to all fans but I understand the Business side of it totally. And from what I read about some of these is you can always get tickets through other means so it's not like this dude couldn't of gotten tickets.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 30 April 2014 - 08:55 AM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#11 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,140 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

I realize it's a grey area but let's keep the discussion about this lawsuit and its relevance to hockey, and away from the political realm.

Let's also keep it away from anything related to that boring sport where really tall guys try and get a ball through a circle when they're not taking 500 timeouts. 

#12 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

It seems the only way to get things done or noticed at the very least is to slap a lawsuit on it. Regardless I feel tickets are for sale for EVERYONE...The team you follow plays the biggest event that you may never see them in again and you even have the dollars to make it happen, BUT because of your address you miss the sporting event of your lifetime?
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#13 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

I really like the concept of making enemy fans jump through hoops to get tickets. The damages listed are ridiculous btw
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#14 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:08 PM

Who cares.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#15 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

That's why everyone needs a contact in each state. For emergencies.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger