• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

So who are the top RHed Dmen?

Rate this topic

Ok we all agree we need 1 or 2. heck even Holland and Babcock are finally talking about. Should have listened to us! We all have been talking about it for several years now....... Ok so who are the top RHed dmen? What would be list as the attributes?

I will start with: Under 30, at least 6ft tall, at least 200 pounds, can skate, hit block shots, and score. Did I miss anything?

So here is what I come up with as a shopping list. All numbers are based on 2014 season.

Weber Nsh 3rd in points, 24th in hits, 10th in blocked shots-The Gold Standard

Byfuglien Win 4th in points, 9th in hits, outside the top 100 in blocks

Subban Mon 6th in points, 46th in hits, 59th in blocks

Pietrangelo Stl 8th in points, 14th in blocks, outside the top 100 in hits

Wisniewski Clb 9th in points, 50th in hits, outside the top 100 in blocks

Niskanen Pitt 12th in points, 50th in hits, outside the top 100 in blocks

Shattenkirk Stl 13th in points, 97th in blocks, outside the top 100 in hits

Seabrook Chi 22nd in points, 20th in hits, 32nd in blocks

E Johnson Col 26th in points, 44th hits, 49th blocks

Green Wash 28th in points, 84th in blocks, outside top 100 hits

Carlson Wash 29th in points, 5th in blocks, outside top 100 hits

Doughty LAK 30th points, 19th hits, outside 100 blocks

Demers SJ 36th points, 83rd blocks, outside 100 hits

Voynov LAK 37th points 27th hits, outside 100 blocks

Schultz ED 38th points, 85th blocks outside 100 hits

Franson Tor 42nd points, 1st in hits, 77th blocks

Faulk Car 44th points, 89th hits 93rd blocks

Trouba Win 52nd points, 87th hits, 42nd blocks

Gilbert Flor 58th in points, outside top 100 in blocks and hits

Hamilton Bos 66th points, outside 100 hits and blocks

Jones Nash 67th points, 100 blocks, outside 100 in hits

Letang Pitt 77th points, outside 100 in hits and blocks

Myers Buf 78th points 70th hits, outside 100 blocks

Gudas TB 83rd points, 33rd blocks, 2nd hits

Stone Phx 85th points, 34th hits, 71st blocks

Lovejoy Ana 95th points, 7th hits, 25th blocks

hamonic NYI 96th points, 91st hits, 37th blocks

Petry ED 100th points, 18th hits, 39th in blocks

That list is 28 names long. those should be our targets. IMHO I would focus even further down to only the guys that make the top 100 in all 3 categories. That list is down to just 12 guys: Weber, Subban, Seabrook, Johnson, Franson, Faulk, Trouba, Gudas, Stone, Lovejoy, Hamonic, and Petry.

I would really love hamlnic on this team I watch alot of islanders game and know a few people in the org.

I just want a guy who clear the crease and gt pucks out. Dk struggled mightly at this Iimo during the playoffs

That list is 28 names long. those should be our targets. IMHO I would focus even further down to only the guys that make the top 100 in all 3 categories. That list is down to just 12 guys: Weber, Subban, Seabrook, Johnson, Franson, Faulk, Trouba, Gudas, Stone, Lovejoy, Hamonic, and Petry.

While I understand that we have a glaring need there, a lot of those players are almost untouchables. Petry isn't spectacular by any means but he has Detroit connections and who knows? I think he would actually be a decent signing. Tom Gilbert is another guy who I think could be a realistic target, perhaps one of those veterans that finds a home with the Wings. However, he has been available before and Holland left him alone so I think that says it all.

Edited by superstarsingh

I know I a beating the Morris drum, but he finished with the same amount of points as Petry and played in nearly 20 less games and he is a UFA that may be looking for a change of scenery and out of Phoenix....er I mean Arizona. Petry would be an RFA and cost us draft picks to sign him. He is younger yes, but Morris is more of the lines we need for a couple of years. If Petry were to sign here, it would just make the log jam that much worse in 2-3 years and we may lose out on a prospect or two to waivers, with Morris, he signs a 2 year deal and goes away afterward. We have enough hot, young prospects coming up, we need that Vet presence right now to bridge the gap.

Edited by LeftWinger

LW I am on th Petry bandwagon. Him and DK would be the top pair in about a year. They both move well, handle the puck well, block shots, and have decent skill that is improving. Now 2-3 years down the road I wouldn't worry about. First all the prospects have to develop. There is 0% chance they ALL do. Also at that point Kronwall will be 36/37 and may vry well need to be replaced. Same for E.

If Petry, D, and Smith are all here and playing well, that still leaves up to 4 spots open.

I know it's not necessarily what you mean, but it comes off kind of like you're saying we shouldn't be interested in the likes of Doughty, Pietrangelo, Jones, Hamilton... :bye:

But seriously, the first criteria (other than availability) needs to be offensive potential instead of age, height, and weight requirements. Hitting, shot-blocking, or even actual defensive ability, is much less important. The main reason for targetting a RHer is what they add to the offense; primarily the PP. Lefties can play the right side just fine from defensive perspective. Stuart and Ericsson for example. It's much harder though to get the quick, accurate passing and shooting you need for a good PP or cycle.

It would be great to get a total package player, but that's just highly unlikely, especially that young. Those guys get moved so rarely. Maybe if you want someone who's just mediocre at everything (like half your short list), but, well...Quincey. Obviously, we wouldn't want someone who's a real liability on defense but we don't need to limit ourselves to just studs either. We also have the ability to target a more defensive player, assuming we get rid of Kindl (or trade another defenseman from the roster).

With Sproul and Marchenko (and possibly Jensen) on the horizon, we don't need to be all that concerned about age either. One or two years may be all we need, and anything four and up gives us plenty of time to develop the kids and/or find other options. It's not too uncommon for defensemen to play (and play well) into their mid and even late 30s. I wouldn't pass on someone just because they're over 30.

Trouba would be interesting... I forgot he existed

Trouba is already Winnipeg's best defenseman, ahead of Bogosian/Stuart/Enstrom. He's not going anywhere.

I know I a beating the Morris drum, but he finished with the same amount of points as Petry and played in nearly 20 less games and he is a UFA that may be looking for a change of scenery and out of Phoenix....er I mean Arizona. Petry would be an RFA and cost us draft picks to sign him. He is younger yes, but Morris is more of the lines we need for a couple of years. If Petry were to sign here, it would just make the log jam that much worse in 2-3 years and we may lose out on a prospect or two to waivers, with Morris, he signs a 2 year deal and goes away afterward. We have enough hot, young prospects coming up, we need that Vet presence right now to bridge the gap.

I wouldn't mind Morris as a stop-gap option. But only if we can't get someone better (i.e., Niskanen).

Names that come straight to mind:

Boyle

Byfuglien

Doughty

Girardi

Karlsson

Letang

Pietrangelo

Seabrook

Shattenkirk

Subban

Weber

Honorable mentions:

Faulk

Jones

Trouba

Faulk is very high on my list of pipe dream acquisitions.

Edited by Dabura

Bogosian's value is dipping in WPG right now. I'd rather pay a bit more for Bogosian rather than Buff.

Having said that, I honestly would like to bite the bullet and try to get Weber. We aren't going to have another chance with this core and we are bursting with prospects right now. Weber is 28 and could play at a high level for another 7+ years likely.

I agree that handedness is a big deal for dmen - its just easier to take the puck off the boards and break out - also a factor on the pp. I think if we could somehow have a future with Weber, Sproul, Marchenko as our RD we would be in unbelievable shape. I'd easily be willing to part with Ouellet, Tatar, Smith/Ericsson, multiple 1sts for Weber - I'd throw in Andersson/Kindl/Almquist if they wanted any of these guys also. We are still left with loads in the cupboard going forward even without adding UFA acquisitions. Holland can't go wrong with adding a guy of Weber's calibre - he will play like a beast anywhere. I'm worried that adding a guy like Edler or a 2nd pairing guy could end up being a waste of assets with the guys we already have developing into something likely better very soon.

One of the thoughts hinted at by some is, we just need an offensive defensemen. Some of us remember Coffey. Maybe the best offensive dman of all time. As good as he was with the puck, he was that bad without it. Dman have to be able to play D. That is their job first and foremost. On that front we don't have a great D as it is. Kronwall and E and average. Dekeyser is already the best defensive BLer we have. Smith is below average. Kindl terrible. Lashoff is of vs big strong teams, but struggles vs speed. But Is ok as a 7th. if we can find a guy that is good in his own end and give us 30-40 points, that is who and what we need. Which is why I am for Petry. he plays both ends well. Might be the cheapest to get out of the list I posted.

One of the thoughts hinted at by some is, we just need an offensive defensemen. Some of us remember Coffey. Maybe the best offensive dman of all time. As good as he was with the puck, he was that bad without it. Dman have to be able to play D. That is their job first and foremost. On that front we don't have a great D as it is. Kronwall and E and average. Dekeyser is already the best defensive BLer we have. Smith is below average. Kindl terrible. Lashoff is of vs big strong teams, but struggles vs speed. But Is ok as a 7th. if we can find a guy that is good in his own end and give us 30-40 points, that is who and what we need. Which is why I am for Petry. he plays both ends well. Might be the cheapest to get out of the list I posted.

(Warning: dead horses ahead...)

Defensemen do have to be able to play D, but playing D entails more than simply defending in your end. Being a great defensive team is, like Sutter and Babcock say, a matter of what your defensemen do with the puck in your end. It's why the Kings are the best defensive team - their defensemen move the puck out of their zone exceptionally well, driving the offense with dominant possession. The result: the Kings don't spend much time defending, because they don't have to, because they can fluidly shift from defense to offense. It's why Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall is the best top three we've ever had - they drove possession, they drove the attack, they kept our d-zone time to a minimum. It's why the Bruins singled Smith out for bullying - he makes his fair share of mistakes in the d-zone, but he makes up for it by being one of our better puck-movers on the back end. He pushes play up the ice, away from our net. He drives the attack.

Look at Game 1 against the Bruins. Were we just that good at defending against the Bruins' attack, or was it more that we moved the puck out of our end quickly and efficiently and with purpose?

All of which is to say, I firmly believe our biggest issue is our transition game. Given how young our blue line is and that Quincey is borderline incompetent around our net, I think we're pretty good at defending and getting the puck back. It's when we get it back and it's our turn to dictate play and push the pace, that's where we falter. Trying to make as many in-zone passes as we possibly can (four or five when one or two should get the job done), a.k.a being cute. Failing to cleanly connect, tape-to-tape, on at least 50% of our D-to-forward breakout passes (the pass is too far ahead or too far behind or hits his skate or gets picked off etc.) Forwards not always doing their part, often leaving the D with no good options or low-percentage ones. Trying to skate the puck past two guys instead of making a simpler, safer play, e.g. chipping it off the glass and out.

We're also not getting enough from the blue line in the offensive zone. On the other end of that spectrum is the Bruins, with their three or four defensemen who really know how to direct a cycle, hold the zone, bomb it from the point, make a team pay on the power play.

We were 16th is goals allowed this year. Bottom half. Our best defensive Dman has played all of 90 NHL games. But this isn't an either or thing. You need both. How good would a defensive be made up of 6 Letangs? Not very. But man could they move the puck. Flip side, how good of a team would you have with-pick you best stay at home guy? That is the Devils model and it does work.

I'd like a solid right handed veteran defenceman who can play above average in most situation. Doesn't have to be flashy just reliable.

We were 16th is goals allowed this year. Bottom half. Our best defensive Dman has played all of 90 NHL games. But this isn't an either or thing. You need both. How good would a defensive be made up of 6 Letangs? Not very. But man could they move the puck. Flip side, how good of a team would you have with-pick you best stay at home guy? That is the Devils model and it does work.

We were 16th despite the fact Howard had one of his worst years to date. Considering that and the room for growth for many of our defencemen, it's not as dire as it may seem.

That is not the Devils model. They also have smallish undersized offensive defencemen just like most teams. ie. Zidlicky, Greene.

Guest DeGraa55

But imagine Kronwall with Smith, Letang with Ericsson, and Dekeyser with anyone but Kindl or Lashoff. That would be great.

You would wanna pay that much for your second pairing defenseman? It'd be good don't get me wrong but wows that be too much IMO.