• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#41 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

Once again, everything is falling into place for the Pens, like it seems to every year.  I don't know if its luck or if its the talent level of the conference, but it seems like the Pens never have to play anyone good until the Conference Finals.  The Flyers would have been a much tougher challenge for them, yet the Rangers won and couldn't look more pathetic in this round.  I'm pulling for Boston in the other series because I think Montreal will be another Rangers for the Pens.

#42 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:44 AM

My guess is that the Pens might prefer to get Montreal, but they'd be no pushover at all.  Didn't the Pens lose to them a couple years ago in the playoffs?

I agree with you that the Flyers would have given them a much better test, not because they are better than the Rangers, it is just that it isn't a great matchup for the Pens, while they have seemed to have little trouble with the Rangers.  I think I saw a stat the other day that the Rangers have never beat the Pens in a playoff series (doesn't look like it will happen this year either).

#43 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

My guess is that the Pens might prefer to get Montreal, but they'd be no pushover at all.  Didn't the Pens lose to them a couple years ago in the playoffs?

I agree with you that the Flyers would have given them a much better test, not because they are better than the Rangers, it is just that it isn't a great matchup for the Pens, while they have seemed to have little trouble with the Rangers.  I think I saw a stat the other day that the Rangers have never beat the Pens in a playoff series (doesn't look like it will happen this year either).

Yeah, 4 years ago they lost to the Habs and the red hot Halak.  The Flyers had the Pens number this year, but teams that give the Pens problems in the regular season always seem to get knocked out before they play them.  Boston and NJ both got knocked out in 2009 and I know they would have been more difficult than the Canes or Caps.   Perhaps Montreal could be a tough opponent.  Fleury didn't play well against either in the regular season.  I was just saying the other day, in the 28 years I've been watching hockey, every playoff matchup between the Pens and Rangers has been decisively in the Pens favor.  This appear to be no different. 

#44 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

Pens fans are terrified of the Flyers. For good reason.

Also, Lundqvist > Howard. It's true, though - the Rangers have looked like the Wings.

Edited by Dabura, 08 May 2014 - 08:51 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#45 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:34 PM

Pens fans are terrified of the Flyers. For good reason.

Also, Lundqvist > Howard. It's true, though - the Rangers have looked like the Wings.

Yes Lundqvist is better. That wasn't my point, my point was people are so quick to jump down howies throat, but are so willing to make excuses for the "king". Howie had a bad year, yes, but nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be, you would think conks was back in net. My point was without any support as you are seeing, even the best goalies can't change the fact that your team can't score.

#46 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

If there is any doubt that Crosby acts like a baby and can't handle s***, they highlighted all his slashes and whining tonight after the game and offhandedly mentioned his frustration which I couldn't but chuckle.

#47 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

Yes Lundqvist is better. That wasn't my point, my point was people are so quick to jump down howies throat, but are so willing to make excuses for the "king". Howie had a bad year, yes, but nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be, you would think conks was back in net. My point was without any support as you are seeing, even the best goalies can't change the fact that your team can't score.

Lunquivst is light years better then Howard. Like it or not Howard has never gotten us past the 2nd round, even when we still had Lidstrom and Rafalski. Lunquivst has never had the teams in front of him that Howard has (NY's star players always disappear in the playoffs giving him no help). You look at this series against the Pens. Game 1 was all the King. Game 2 the Rangers lost 2-0 due to a late empty net goal, but the King played unreal and really deserved the win. Game 3 he played great again, but got zero goal support from his team again. Game 4 he was above average, but not as good as he can be. Tonight in game 5 he was simply fantastic. 5-1 is misleading in some ways because the King made several unreal saves at key times to keep his team ahead. Basically one thing I can safely say about the King is that he NEVER loses games for his team, whereas Howard does. Like it or not, Howard has had some AWFUL playoffs games where he has costed us. Remember both game 3's against the Sharks, Howard gave up awful goals and we lost both years. That is just one example I have. Yes Howard is not a bad goalie, but he is not close to the clutchness of Lunquivst. Howard or Lunquivst? I take the King every time.

#48 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:14 AM

Lunquivst is light years better then Howard. Like it or not Howard has never gotten us past the 2nd round, even when we still had Lidstrom and Rafalski. Lunquivst has never had the teams in front of him that Howard has (NY's star players always disappear in the playoffs giving him no help). You look at this series against the Pens. Game 1 was all the King. Game 2 the Rangers lost 2-0 due to a late empty net goal, but the King played unreal and really deserved the win. Game 3 he played great again, but got zero goal support from his team again. Game 4 he was above average, but not as good as he can be. Tonight in game 5 he was simply fantastic. 5-1 is misleading in some ways because the King made several unreal saves at key times to keep his team ahead. Basically one thing I can safely say about the King is that he NEVER loses games for his team, whereas Howard does. Like it or not, Howard has had some AWFUL playoffs games where he has costed us. Remember both game 3's against the Sharks, Howard gave up awful goals and we lost both years. That is just one example I have. Yes Howard is not a bad goalie, but he is not close to the clutchness of Lunquivst. Howard or Lunquivst? I take the King every time.

Yeah I remember, even the king has had a couple off years himself, and didn't get past the second round until 7 years in the league as a starter. And he has still only gotten beyond the second round once. Ya Howie had a couple years with lidstrom and a declining rafalski, and Stuart who clearly just wanted to get the he'll out by 2012, he's also had a team worse than the rags the last couple years too. You can't win when your team doesn't score. Howie has been good the last couple playoffs for us. Game 4 May have been a win if he wasn't sick.

#49 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:45 AM

Seriously comparing the King to Howard ? Quick, Rinne, Rask and the King are in a league of their own, then come guys like Price, Miller and between but Howard definately is not one of the top 10 goalies in the league. He is good and can be outstanding, but he lacks consistency. The King is basically bailing the Rangers out every damn year, they wouldn't even make the playoffs without him.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#50 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

Seriously comparing the King to Howard ? Quick, Rinne, Rask and the King are in a league of their own, then come guys like Price, Miller and between but Howard definately is not one of the top 10 goalies in the league.He is good and can be outstanding, but he lacks consistency. The King is basically bailing the Rangers out every damn year, they wouldn't even make the playoffs without him.

It's funny how it's perceived that way when it's the king. When it's Howard it's sorcery or something. Howard is better than Miller and technically going into the 2014/2015 he will be the 13th highest paid goalie so people can stop whining about his cap. I've already acknowledged several times lundqvist is better, my point is that he has done just as much as the rangers as Howie has done with the wings.

#51 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

Sucks that someone had to die for the Rangers to get their s*** together, but, um, better late than never?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#52 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

Last time I checked Howard didn't play for either the Rags or the Pens, so let's keep it on topic, please.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#53 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

One thing that needs to be said: the Pens are no longer a bad defensive team. Quite the opposite. For this, I credit Jacques Martin and the fact that - seemingly unbeknownst to very many intelligent, informed hockey fans - their blue line has gone from somewhat thin to straight-up sick in the span of a season.

Letang

Maatta

Martin

Niskanen

Orpik

Scuderi

Pound for pound, that's one of the better back ends we've seen in the cap era. And I say that as someone who hates the Pens almost as much as I hated the Avs in the '90s.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#54 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

One thing that needs to be said: the Pens are no longer a bad defensive team. Quite the opposite. For this, I credit Jacques Martin and the fact that - seemingly unbeknownst to very many intelligent, informed hockey fans - their blue line has gone from somewhat thin to straight-up sick in the span of a season.

Letang

Maatta

Martin

Niskanen

Orpik

Scuderi

Pound for pound, that's one of the better back ends we've seen in the cap era. And I say that as someone who hates the Pens almost as much as I hated the Avs in the '90s.

wait till next year... they can't afford that team, unless they sign a bunch of bums, they have 7 forwards, 5 dmen, and 2 goalies signed for next year at $55 million, with orpik and niskanin both upcoming ufa's. too much money tied up in 6 players

#55 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

wait till next year... they can't afford that team, unless they sign a bunch of bums, they have 7 forwards, 5 dmen, and 2 goalies signed for next year at $55 million, with orpik and niskanin both upcoming ufa's. too much money tied up in 6 players

I dunno, I feel like we say this kind of thing about them every spring and then nothing ever really comes of it. They just keep trucking along, having their way with most of the Eastern Conference. Weren't we predicting their fiery demise, like, five years ago? That they'd only be able to keep, like, four good players and the rest of the team would have to be scrubs and they'd cease to be relevant? I don't worship at the shrine of Shero, but he's managing to ice to an elite team every season, and it's not all being done on the backs of Crosby and Malkin.

My impression is they're kind of building a "buy-in" culture like the Wings had and I guess still have. Penguins want to be Penguins, want to stay Penguins, and are willing to take hometown discounts to make it so. It's why I see Niskanen and Orpik re-signing. They could make a killing on the open market, but having Sidney Crosby as your BFF and the Conference Finals as a yearly ritual must be pretty nice. Plus, the Metro is a joke. Playing for the Penguins? A man could certainly do a lot worse. I guess.

That seems to be what Babcock is thinking (re: his comment about grass). Maybe he could turn the Leafs around and be treated like a God for the rest of his life. But then, look at what they did to the mighty Brendan Shanahan, NHL Disicpline Czar and Reformed Facepunching Power Forward. He thought extending Randy Carlyle was the right thing to do. Clearly they ate his brain and now he's one of them. A moron.

Mike Babcock knows better.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#56 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:46 PM

I dunno, I feel like we say this kind of thing about them every spring and then nothing ever really comes of it. They just keep trucking along, having their way with most of the Eastern Conference. Weren't we predicting their fiery demise, like, five years ago? That they'd only be able to keep, like, four good players and the rest of the team would have to be scrubs and they'd cease to be relevant? I don't worship at the shrine of Shero, but he's managing to ice to an elite team every season, and it's not all being done on the backs of Crosby and Malkin.

My impression is they're kind of building a "buy-in" culture like the Wings had and I guess still have. Penguins want to be Penguins, want to stay Penguins, and are willing to take hometown discounts to make it so. It's why I see Niskanen and Orpik re-signing. They could make a killing on the open market, but having Sidney Crosby as your BFF and the Conference Finals as a yearly ritual must be pretty nice. Plus, the Metro is a joke. Playing for the Penguins? A man could certainly do a lot worse. I guess.

That seems to be what Babcock is thinking (re: his comment about grass). Maybe he could turn the Leafs around and be treated like a God for the rest of his life. But then, look at what they did to the mighty Brendan Shanahan, NHL Disicpline Czar and Reformed Facepunching Power Forward. He thought extending Randy Carlyle was the right thing to do. Clearly they ate his brain and now he's one of them. A moron.

Mike Babcock knows better.

they have less than $15 million for 8 players... no way they retain niskanin AND Orpiks, unless they shed salary. If they want a 23 man roster they have $15 million for 9 guys

#57 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

Crosby goes after Boyle....riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhht.

#58 wingfan13

wingfan13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

Crosby goes after Boyle....riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhht.

After pulling a Lucic on Moore
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"  Dean Wormer, Animal House

#59 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

The little douches in the box where they belong.

#60 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

Suck it s***tsburgh.  We have a game 7 boys and girls!