• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DSM

Jaroslav Halak's negotiating rights traded to Islanders.

Rate this topic

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24547615/islanders-acquire-rights-to-jaroslav-halak-from-capitals

Snow flips the Caps a 4th rounder he got from dumping Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Peter Regin to the Hawks earlier this season.

I haven't really looked, but there are apparently tweets out there stating that Snow has already had chats with Halak's agent and that there is mutual interest.

Doubt Halak was anywhere on the Wings radar, but not a bad deal for the Isles... If he truly does sign.

Ryan Millers agent is probably happy since it leaves Jonas Hiller as his clients only real competition in this summers UFA market.

Read somewhere else that they may keep Nabokov as backup if they can get a decent starter.

Apparently they will be moving on from Poulin and Nilsson, who never materialized as starter material as they had hoped.

Nabokov would likely be their top choice for a backup if they can get Halak signed up.

If Nabokov hits the market, would he want to come to Detroit this time? My thinking is that he'd either retire, go back to the KHL or sign on as a backup with a team that has a legitimate shot at a Cup. A la Vokoun with the Pens.

Read somewhere else that they may keep Nabokov as backup if they can get a decent starter.

Apparently they will be moving on from Poulin and Nilsson, who never materialized as starter material as they had hoped.

Nabokov would likely be their top choice for a backup if they can get Halak signed up.

If Nabokov hits the market, would he want to come to Detroit this time? My thinking is that he'd either retire, go back to the KHL or sign on as a backup with a team that has a legitimate shot at a Cup. A la Vokoun with the Pens.

Unless Holland outbids everyone. He has the cap space to do it.

Snow being Snow could have waited and ask him for nothing. Why would Halak play for that team? The owner is as cheap as it gets and the GM has a shoestring cap to work with

That's exactly why, IMHO.

If I'm Snow, I'm trying to get to players early.

That's exactly why, IMHO.

If I'm Snow, I'm trying to get to players early.

Ah thanks that makes a bit more sense that way but if I'm Halak I'd be looking at a starting job somewhere else (Canucks could be looking for a veteran). It pains me to say I really like JT, Bailey, Okposo, Grabner aso. but with their current ownership/GM structure they are going nowhere and of course the fans deserve MUCH better. Goes to show you, how it all starts at the top.

Halak signs 4 year deal with NYI

The New York Islanders have reached agreement with goaltender Jaroslav Halak on a four-year contract.

Newsday's Arthur Staple reports the contract is worth $18 million.

Halak was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent July 1. The Islanders acquired his rights from the Washington Capitals on May 1 in a trade for a fourth-round pick in the 2014 NHL Draft.

FANTASY SPIN
HALAK_672_052214.jpg Isles upgrade in big way with Halak By Pete Jensen - NHL.com Fantasy Insider

The New York Islanders locked up Jaroslav Halak with a four-year contract, meaning the team has a fantasy-relevant starting goalie for the first time in years. READ MORE ›

"I'm thrilled," Halak told the Islanders website. "It's a big opportunity for me. It's a young team. There are some really good hockey players on the team and that was the biggest factor. Plus I know [defenseman] Lubomir Visnovsky. He's a really good guy and a good friend of mine."

Halak won 29 games this season. He was fourth in the NHL with five shutouts and eighth with a 2.25 goals-against average.

Halak was traded twice within a span of five days, going from the St. Louis Blues to theBuffalo Sabres on March 1 then to the Capitals on March 5. He did not play in a game for the Sabres.

In 272 NHL games with the Montreal Canadiens, St. Louis and Washington, Halak has a 144-85-29 record with a 2.38 GAA, .918 save percentage and 30 shutouts. He has appeared in 23 Stanley Cup Playoff games with Montreal and St. Louis, with a 10-11 record, 2.42 GAA and .942 save percentage.

Halak's career highlights include helping the Canadiens reach the Eastern Conference Final in 2010 and winning the Jennings Trophy in 2011-12, when with St. Louis he and Brian Elliott allowed the fewest goals in the League.

"I'm 29 years old and I know what it takes to be a No. 1," Halak said. "I want to prove myself to everyone that I can be a No. 1."

Halak was a ninth-round pick (No. 271) of the Canadiens in 2003.

"We're excited to have Jaro join the organization," Islanders general manager Garth Snow said. "He's someone we targeted when the season ended and we're happy he's made this commitment as we continue to make our team stronger this offseason."

Edited by Hockeytown0001

Unless the Isles somehow upgrade on D, Halak's numbers aren't going to be what they're expecting.

2009-10 Habs had no business being in the Conference Final. He's one of those goalies that does well when getting a lot of shots, like Bernier.

2009-10 Habs had no business being in the Conference Final. He's one of those goalies that does well when getting a lot of shots, like Bernier.

True, and while I think he is/was a goaltender capable of carrying a team, I don't think the revolving door of goaltenders for the Islanders has been due to the goalies themselves. I will give them credit for finally locking down a solid goaltender, but they have a lot of other pieces missing now.

I do think there's a good chance this completely breaks Halak. He clearly wants to prove he can be an elite goalie in this league and maybe even challenge for the Vezina. And he's going to try to prove that...as an Islander.

LUBO: "Seeya, pal!"

JARO: "Where are you going?"

LUBO: "Into retirement!"

JARO: "YOU SAID WE WERE IN THIS TOGETHER!"

LUBO: "Garth promised he would give me $40 if I helped to convince you to sign. To his credit, he was true to his word. And so I spent that money on this parachute! Farewell, my friend!"

[LUBO jumps out plane, parachute doesn't open, he crash lands in Rexall Place]