• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Holland Holding on to Jeff Blashill

Rate this topic

What isn't Holland comfortable with? Need something more concrete LOL

That's like opening a fortune cookie that states "go out and meet new people, it will enrich your spirit"

If I were to wager a guess, he's not happy with;

A: under-achieving free agent signings

B: under-achieving veteran players

C: injuries

D: early playoff exits

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE no one mention Hossa, for God's sakes we get it

Guest DeGraa55

The guy brings up some great points of why Babcock may not be happy.

But his family is here...someone said his daughter is going to graduate. And as bad as Detroit is....Toronto is worse right now lol.

If Babs were interested in leaving, any time soon, he would not be taking time out of his life to go to Val D'Or and watch Mantha live in the QMJHL finals tonight (during which Mantha had a 2 goals and an assist) The Toronto media are fools. One of the reasons Shanny left Detroit was he and Babs didn't see eye to eye, so why is Babs going to want to go to a ridiculously media driven market working for a guy he didn't get along with? It's a pipe dream by the media who just want something to talk about since Carlyle's immediate firing never came about. (Though I imagine he still gets canned soon)

I like blashill lets not forget he failed as an assistant. Trust me that does not preclude any coaching ability. He could be a guy who thrives as a head coach not an assistant like the inverse of Adam oates

If Babs were interested in leaving, any time soon, he would not be taking time out of his life to go to Val D'Or and watch Mantha live in the QMJHL finals tonight (during which Mantha had a 2 goals and an assist) The Toronto media are fools. One of the reasons Shanny left Detroit was he and Babs didn't see eye to eye, so why is Babs going to want to go to a ridiculously media driven market working for a guy he didn't get along with? It's a pipe dream by the media who just want something to talk about since Carlyle's immediate firing never came about. (Though I imagine he still gets canned soon)

Babs is a pro. Even if he was leaving he would scout Mantha. He does his job.

I think if Babcock leaves after next season it will be to replace Berenson in Ann Arbor while Blashill takes over in Detroit

As much as I'm fine with it, I'd hate to lose Babs during the middle of the reloading process. Whole team needs a steady transition over the next few years

If Babcock does leave after next season there is no way he replaces Red Berenson to coach the Wolverines, he was 100% joking when he said that. He would have 20 other NHL teams offering him a position within an hour of the announcement. I definitely don't like the idea of losing Babs to another team, because I believe he can make any team that much better. However, Blashill is basically a carbon copy of Babcock, so I don't think it would effect our us too much, it may even be a good thing getting a new face behind the bench. Babcock has said himself on several occasions that 10 years is the shelf life of any coach at the NHL level, after that the message starts to get a little stale.

I think Babcock might in fact be interested in the Michigan job. He'd be able to stay in the area and would have absolute job security, something no pro coach ever has, and less of a travel grind. He has coached at the university level before, in Canada. I could see him seeing it as a fun challenge.

One of, if not the best coach in the game today, one of the most intense and competitive guys the sport has ever seen, is not going to just step down from the best league in the world to coach university hockey. It just isn't going to happen, especially not at the young age of 52. The man has accomplished a lot in his coaching career but still has a lot of years left before he's done.

If Babcock does leave after next season there is no way he replaces Red Berenson to coach the Wolverines, he was 100% joking when he said that. He would have 20 other NHL teams offering him a position within an hour of the announcement. I definitely don't like the idea of losing Babs to another team, because I believe he can make any team that much better. However, Blashill is basically a carbon copy of Babcock, so I don't think it would effect our us too much, it may even be a good thing getting a new face behind the bench. Babcock has said himself on several occasions that 10 years is the shelf life of any coach at the NHL level, after that the message starts to get a little stale.

he wasn't joking

Babcock has no reason to leave. There's a great deal of player turnover, and he has an opportunity to rebuild a storied franchise right here in Detroit.

I mean, coaches like a challenge and they like to leave their mark. He can do that here, even though he's already been here so long, without needing to go to a bottom feeder with dysfunctional management. There's just not a lot of reason for Babcock to leave. The team is so different than when he started here it's like going to a different team already.

I think some are underestimating Babcock's willingness to march to his own drummer. I'm not saying he is definitely going to Michigan, but I believe he would consider it a legitimate option, especially if he feels he has reached the end of his shelf life in Detroit. He could still coach in the Olympics and world championships, and his move would ratchet up the profile of college hockey in a major way.

I find it hilarious that people actually believe that Babcock would step down from the NHL to coach university / college hockey. You actually think someone as competitive as Mike Babcock would want to take a step back in his career as a coach? Not a chance. "He seems to like college kids", I'd love to know where you get this... I don't doubt he enjoys coaching kids but he does love coaching veterans as well. No question, he'd do well at the college level but I'm sure he sees much more satisfaction in doing well at the most elite level. Just my opinion...

He has already done as well as it is possible to do at every elite level -- NHL, Olympics, world championships. He may not feel he has anything left to prove.

He could make a lot of money at Michigan, get job security that is unimaginable in pro hockey, live in his current house and face an entirely new set of challenges. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility in the least.