• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

I think some are underestimating Babcock's willingness to march to his own drummer. I'm not saying he is definitely going to Michigan, but I believe he would consider it a legitimate option, especially if he feels he has reached the end of his shelf life in Detroit. He could still coach in the Olympics and world championships, and his move would ratchet up the profile of college hockey in a major way.

#42 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

That and he seems to like college kids. I think he'd do well at Michigan, and there's a lot less stress and travel for a college hockey coach.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#43 krsmith17

krsmith17

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

I find it hilarious that people actually believe that Babcock would step down from the NHL to coach university / college hockey. You actually think someone as competitive as Mike Babcock would want to take a step back in his career as a coach? Not a chance. "He seems to like college kids", I'd love to know where you get this... I don't doubt he enjoys coaching kids but he does love coaching veterans as well. No question, he'd do well at the college level but I'm sure he sees much more satisfaction in doing well at the most elite level. Just my opinion...

#44 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

He has already done as well as it is possible to do at every elite level -- NHL, Olympics, world championships. He may not feel he has anything left to prove.

He could make a lot of money at Michigan, get job security that is unimaginable in pro hockey, live in his current house and face an entirely new set of challenges. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility in the least.