• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

I dunno.....I don't think anything will happen - it's just how Holland is.

IMHO - if the Wings want some size, and toughness - why not spend more time scouting the WHL/OHL/QMJHL?

Instead of drafting some kid in the 3rd round who's 5'10" 160 lbs soaking wet from the Czech Republic - why not take take the kid from Edmonton, Alberta who's 6'4" 215 lbs with a penchant for gritty play? 

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#42 BamaWing

BamaWing

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:38 PM

I just wish Holland would one day realize that each year we get knocked out of the playoffs, it's not because some team has more european forwards with good speed and great skill. It's the north american guys over 6'2" that use their size and beat us in the tough areas on the ice.

We need to get some diversity on this team

Posted Image

#43 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

Agreed guys. Holland used to talk about needing 1 big forward per line. That was why he brought Bert back the second time. he knew what was needed, and that was while we were still a team in the west. Now in the more rugged east it might be 2 big F's per line. Yes he has started drafting bigger F's the past few years, but most of them have been Euro's: Tvardon, nestrasil, Jurco, etc..... Last year he finally grabbed mantha-more sniper than gritty and nastasiuk who is fairly gritty. But those guys are still down the road a bit.

#44 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

F Michael and Bama I sorta disagree with u. I think Holland has tried to draft a new core over the last years... Going after guys like Goose, Tatar, Pulkinen, Almqvist, ironhook, Etc. But once he got those guys he started peppering in size and grit more and more. AKA Bodin, Hudon, Callahan, McKee, Glendening, Mcnulty, Bertuzzi, Wheaton, etc. Sheehan and Jurco are bit gritty and big themselves as well. Holland knows these future Grindy types will compliment his up and coming core.

Of course we will always favor soft euros, it's where our best scouts are, but holland isn't dumb. He's not taking them only and he's taking them less now that he has a lot of them.

Agreed guys. Holland used to talk about needing 1 big forward per line. That was why he brought Bert back the second time. he knew what was needed, and that was while we were still a team in the west. Now in the more rugged east it might be 2 big F's per line. Yes he has started drafting bigger F's the past few years, but most of them have been Euro's: Tvardon, nestrasil, Jurco, etc..... Last year he finally grabbed mantha-more sniper than gritty and nastasiuk who is fairly gritty. But those guys are still down the road a bit.

Ok, completely ignore every large or gritty player He's drafted. He's done a lot more than draft those 5 in the grit and size department

#45 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:35 PM

I dunno.....I don't think anything will happen - it's just how Holland is.

IMHO - if the Wings want some size, and toughness - why not spend more time scouting the WHL/OHL/QMJHL?

Instead of drafting some kid in the 3rd round who's 5'10" 160 lbs soaking wet from the Czech Republic - why not take take the kid from Edmonton, Alberta who's 6'4" 215 lbs with a penchant for gritty play? 

2013:

ANTHONY MANTHA R CAN 6' 3" 190 QMJHL VAL D'OR 

ZACH NASTASIUK R CAN 6' 1" 190 OHL OWEN SOUND

TYLER BERTUZZI L CAN 6' 0" 178 OHL GUELPH

MATTIAS JANMARK C SWE 6' 1" 189 SWEDEN AIK

DAVID POPE L CAN 6' 2" 187 BCHL WEST KELOWNA

MITCH WHEATON D CAN 6' 4" 228 WHL KELOWNA

MARC MCNULTY D CAN 6' 5" 185 WHL PRINCE GEORGE 

HAMPUS MELEN R SWE 6' 2" 165 SWE JR TINGSRYD

Show me the undersized "soft euro"

Mitch Wheaton almost fits your demands almost exactly except that he's 13 pounds heavier and he's from Sherwood Park, Alberta. 

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk, 04 May 2014 - 10:37 PM.

#46 BamaWing

BamaWing

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:44 PM

Number 9, you know I will take back what I said with Mantha and a few prospects the previous years. The size of the prospects do seem a little bit bigger than previous years. I guess I just wish we'd see this philosophy go over into his trading/free agency practices.

Trade for the gritty 3rd liner that will not put up but maybe 20 points in the season but will be huge contributors in the playoffs.(Bickell)

I just want more balance and to be more complete of a team. I do love where young guys are at right now as far as Sheahan, Nyquist, Jurco, etc as well as our Griffins. I just feel as though we are a little bit of time and maybe one big trade or FA signing from being cup contenders again.

Can't rely on FA and no cap these days. Have to build through draft which does make me feel good watching our griffins play.

Posted Image

#47 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:01 PM

Number 9, you know I will take back what I said with Mantha and a few prospects the previous years. The size of the prospects do seem a little bit bigger than previous years. I guess I just wish we'd see this philosophy go over into his trading/free agency practices.

Trade for the gritty 3rd liner that will not put up but maybe 20 points in the season but will be huge contributors in the playoffs.(Bickell)

I just want more balance and to be more complete of a team. I do love where young guys are at right now as far as Sheahan, Nyquist, Jurco, etc as well as our Griffins. I just feel as though we are a little bit of time and maybe one big trade or FA signing from being cup contenders again.

Can't rely on FA and no cap these days. Have to build through draft which does make me feel good watching our griffins play.

That's the thing. Holland has a very conservative FA and Trade philosophy... Which I personally agree with. Draft is the way to go. He's not going to get our next big piece through FA our Trade, unless a Hossa or Rafi express interest. He's going to build through our deep prospect pool

Edited by number9, 04 May 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#48 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:01 PM

I'd like if we could acquire Matt Martin. I'm not sure the Isles want to part ways with him, though.

Steve Downie is a free agent. He'd be a good physical presence for the 3rd line. He's a pain to play against and he can chip in offensively.

Ryan Callahan would be another guy I'd like to see us go after.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#49 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:07 PM

I'd like if we could acquire Matt Martin. I'm not sure the Isles want to part ways with him, though.

Steve Downie is a free agent. He'd be a good physical presence for the 3rd line. He's a pain to play against and he can chip in offensively.

I wouldn't count on Callahan or Martin being anywhere near available. Downie might be, though I personally dislike him. Barely made the lineup in Philly and he of all players fits their mold. He'd be the next Tootoo here.

#50 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:57 PM

Callahan is who I want the most of any FA I think.

But sadly I don't think he will be here :(

#51 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:36 AM

Callahan is who I want the most of any FA I think.

But sadly I don't think he will be here :(

I think he'll price himself away from a lot of teams.

On a side note, Toronto could buy David Clarkson out. If that happens, sign him to a short, much cheaper deal and put him on the 3rd or 4th line and see what he can do. He's obviously not top line material, but he could be very useful in the forechecking and general physicality department.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 05 May 2014 - 12:45 AM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#52 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:42 AM

I made a list of RHed Dmen we should be taken a long look at and trying to get. So now I will do gritty forwards. None of these guys are goons. They a big guys that can skate, hit, and even score. Guys that play 10+ mins a game, some in the 15mins range. All are under 30, all make less than 4 million per season, and none are going to break the bank to pick up. So here are the guys I would take a long hard look at:

RW's:

Brouwer Wash 6-3/215

Setoguchi Win 6-0/200

Jones CGY 6-2/210

Kassian Van 6-3/215

Smith-Pelly Ana 6-0/225

LW's:

Martin NYI 6-3/210

Greening Ott 6-3/210

Bollig Chi 6-2/225

Clifford LAK 6-2/215

Kulemin Tor 6-1/225

Maroon Ana 6-3/230

C's:

Wingels SJ 6-0/200

Jenner CBL 6-2/205

Hanzel Phx 6-6/240

Smith Ott 6-2/215

Eller Mon 6-2/215

Nolan LAK 6-3/225

Setoguchi and Kulemin are UFA's, so we could just sign them. The others need to be traded for. I would LOVE to see us grab 2 guys off of this list, or find 2 guys that play the same type of game as these guys. Guys that skate, hit, play hard every shift and could net 10+ goals. We need the grit and size, as Boston clearly showed us.....

Franzen for Troy Brouwer.  Washington is the perfect fit for Franzen.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#53 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

Drafting bigger was needed I also like the fact that the Wings are drafting less soft euros and more hardnosed NA guys. If we now apply this strategy to Ufa, trade deadline days the team would benefit greatly. That being said Callahan is looking at mid to north of million long-term and I don't think he is worth it.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#54 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:40 AM

2013:
ANTHONY MANTHA R CAN 6' 3" 190 QMJHL VAL D'OR 
ZACH NASTASIUK R CAN 6' 1" 190 OHL OWEN SOUND
TYLER BERTUZZI L CAN 6' 0" 178 OHL GUELPH
MATTIAS JANMARK C SWE 6' 1" 189 SWEDEN AIK
DAVID POPE L CAN 6' 2" 187 BCHL WEST KELOWNA
MITCH WHEATON D CAN 6' 4" 228 WHL KELOWNA
MARC MCNULTY D CAN 6' 5" 185 WHL PRINCE GEORGE 
HAMPUS MELEN R SWE 6' 2" 165 SWE JR TINGSRYD

Show me the undersized "soft euro"

Mitch Wheaton almost fits your demands almost exactly except that he's 13 pounds heavier and he's from Sherwood Park, Alberta. 

Who can lose when you have the Pope ok your team
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#55 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

Who can lose when you have the Pope ok your team

soa_damon_pope_a_l.jpg

#56 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

Some need to slow down and read. We are talking about gritty forwards. talking about the D men that Holland has finally started to pick up the last few years doesn't help your point. Adding in Bodin, melen, janmark adds to my euro point.

#57 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

Tootoo was supposed to be our gritty forward that no team likes to play against but Babcock didn`t use him. We need to add a lot more size and snarl on the D. The Wings are way too easy to play against and it starts in our end. We need some Chelios, Stuart, Macoun types.

#58 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

i would prefer scoring forwards and real defensemen

My wish: A healthy roster

#59 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

Some need to slow down and read. We are talking about gritty forwards. talking about the D men that Holland has finally started to pick up the last few years doesn't help your point. Adding in Bodin, melen, janmark adds to my euro point.

In his defense, Janmark was supposed to be one of the more skilled forwards in that draft.  If that's the case, then draft him, but if it's a middle of the road dime-a-dozen forward that's undersized, no thanks.  If you're taking a smallish guy, look at Max Domi types.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#60 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

In his defense, Janmark was supposed to be one of the more skilled forwards in that draft.  If that's the case, then draft him, but if it's a middle of the road dime-a-dozen forward that's undersized, no thanks.  If you're taking a smallish guy, look at Max Domi types.

Janmark's also 6'-1". Hardly an imp.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"