So what do we have to trade?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 haulinbass

haulinbass

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

You guys are claiming that we need a puck moving defense-men, which obviously is accurate.... But a lot of you guys are willing to part with are most mobile offensive defense-men on our roster in Smith? How does this make any sense? Smith is one of the best skaters on our entire roster including forwards. The only D that we have that was able to skate the puck up ice and break entry into the O-zone against Boston was Smith. He did it often with a very high success rate that likely the only person on our roster better in that aspect was Datsyuk. Smith was absolutely phenomenal in the playoffs. I honestly question whether any of you guys actually pay attention to the games while you have it playing on your Tv screen. Smith has very high trade value, much higher than Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, and Helm. It's for a good reason, because any team would kill to pick up an upcoming D of his caliber. Smith played with Kronwall on the top pairing the majority of the playoffs. a number two or three D is what Smith is to this team right now. He does nothing but progress and has shown no signs of slowing down. Period. You do NOT trade a guy that does nothing but improve and has the talent that he does. No team will give up a young and upcoming D and we won't part with him. The only available D are the ones who are UFA's. If you want to trade for a good D you better be ready to give up way more than any of you guys are putting on the table. Almost every team in the league needs a good D. Most of the top teams have great forwards and are lite on D. Teams who are able to give up more firepower up front in return for a D than us. If we make a trade for a D it is a vet has been 3rd D who is likely more of a 4th man than anything at this point of his career. No thanks, Kronwall, Smith, Ericcson, DeKeyser, with quickly upcoming Sproul and Quellet is the answer.

As far as forwards... Why do you think Babcocks out watching Mantha's game? Because they have hope that this kid could make our roster out of camp and make an impact by at least the time playoffs role around. They are trying to determine if bringing in Mantha is a fees-able option before the draft and free agency hits. Because if hes not they will be trying to bring in a Forward. That's what is going on right now. Our right handed D you guys have been hearing Holland talk about past few days is in Grand Rapids right now.

#22 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

In a word, Winnipeg.

I see reimer going there eventually
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#23 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

You guys are claiming that we need a puck moving defense-men, which obviously is accurate.... But a lot of you guys are willing to part with are most mobile offensive defense-men on our roster in Smith? How does this make any sense? Smith is one of the best skaters on our entire roster including forwards. The only D that we have that was able to skate the puck up ice and break entry into the O-zone against Boston was Smith. He did it often with a very high success rate that likely the only person on our roster better in that aspect was Datsyuk. Smith was absolutely phenomenal in the playoffs. I honestly question whether any of you guys actually pay attention to the games while you have it playing on your Tv screen. Smith has very high trade value, much higher than Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, and Helm. It's for a good reason, because any team would kill to pick up an upcoming D of his caliber. Smith played with Kronwall on the top pairing the majority of the playoffs. a number two or three D is what Smith is to this team right now. He does nothing but progress and has shown no signs of slowing down. Period. You do NOT trade a guy that does nothing but improve and has the talent that he does. No team will give up a young and upcoming D and we won't part with him. The only available D are the ones who are UFA's. If you want to trade for a good D you better be ready to give up way more than any of you guys are putting on the table. Almost every team in the league needs a good D. Most of the top teams have great forwards and are lite on D. Teams who are able to give up more firepower up front in return for a D than us. If we make a trade for a D it is a vet has been 3rd D who is likely more of a 4th man than anything at this point of his career. No thanks, Kronwall, Smith, Ericcson, DeKeyser, with quickly upcoming Sproul and Quellet is the answer.

As far as forwards... Why do you think Babcocks out watching Mantha's game? Because they have hope that this kid could make our roster out of camp and make an impact by at least the time playoffs role around. They are trying to determine if bringing in Mantha is a fees-able option before the draft and free agency hits. Because if hes not they will be trying to bring in a Forward. That's what is going on right now. Our right handed D you guys have been hearing Holland talk about past few days is in Grand Rapids right now.

Yeah but how do you feel about Brendan Smith?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#24 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

There are a ton of tradable assets, just not many most fans want to see go. Hence the Miller+Almquist+Ferraro for a good player suggestions.

Define 'good player'?

Not trying to be a smart ass - just bloody honest that this team has very little that would interest other GM's into trading what we'd consider a  'valuable' return.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#25 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:16 PM

There are a ton of tradable assets, just not many most fans want to see go. Hence the Miller+Almquist+Ferraro for a good player suggestions.

Define 'good player'?

Not trying to be a smart ass - just bloody honest that this team has very little that would interest other GM's into trading what we'd consider a  'valuable' return.

Smith Dekeyser Sproul Ouellet Marchenko Blackman Mrazek Helm Nyquist Tatar Jurco Mantha even guys like Kindl Pulkinen and Athanasiou have good trade value.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#26 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

I see reimer going there eventually

I see him going there this summer, actually. (Provided they buy out Pavelec.)

Yeah but how do you feel about Brendan Smith?

Well, he's right about Smith being one of our better puck movers on the back end and one of our more promising young players. At the same time, we could really, really, really use a proven top-four defenseman. Kronwall isn't an ideal #1, Ericsson is a #3 or #4, DeKeyser is a #3, Smith is, at present, probably a #4. The talent on the farm means the future of our D corps looks bright, but I'd like to at least try to win another Cup with Datsyuk.

Smith Dekeyser Sproul Ouellet Marchenko Blackman Mrazek Helm Nyquist Tatar Jurco Mantha even guys like Kindl Pulkinen and Athanasiou have good trade value.

Right. (Not sarcasm.) We have plenty of attractive pieces.

It's also largely about the possible trade partner. The Flyers, for example, might like Lashoff or Kindl or Almqvist, and certainly they'd love one (or two!) of Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, Backman. Wayne Simmonds - exactly the kind of guy we need in the top six - probably isn't going anywhere, but I feel like we might have a better shot at him than one might think. (It goes without saying that one of Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco would be gone, but you have to give to get.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#27 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

The questions with Smith are two fold. 1. He is poor defensively. 2. he is another lefty. Now one can be fixed, the other can't be. As I mentioned before, if I am putting together a trade for a guy like Carlson-6-3/215 RHed, year younger than smith, great shot blocker, and better offensively than Smith, then hell yes we do it! Same if we are packaging him for a guy like Lucic. No don't trade him for picks. That would be dumb. But to get quality you have to give up quality.

#28 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:25 AM

In a word, Winnipeg.

100% correct.  Winnipeg's biggest ??? is Pavelec.  That guy is a Vezina candidate for like 5 games a year and then a team deflator the other 77.  Howard would be a big upgrade.  Then again, Mrazek likely would be too.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#29 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

100% correct.  Winnipeg's biggest ??? is Pavelec.  That guy is a Vezina candidate for like 5 games a year and then a team deflator the other 77.  Howard would be a big upgrade.  Then again, Mrazek likely would be too.

Correct. This is were as an example a smith+mrazek=bogo. Just as an example.

#30 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

Ideally you should always try to trade from a position of strength to fill a position of weakness. 

Our strengths?  Good young D prospects, and good young wingers (of the skilled but undersized variety).  We have SEVEN young D-men knocking on the door right now for maybe 2 spots in the next 5 years.  There isn't room for all of them, so we may as well flip them for something better.  Same at wing, unless we buy out Franzen and Weiss, and Alfie retires, and Mantha is a bust, there is just no place for Pulkinnen.

Our biggest weakness is a top-4 RHD.  There's a really interesting thread on HFBoards right now around trade proposals for a RHD to Detroit - unusually for HFBoards, its populated by sane fans of other teams making rational, reasoned proposals instead of the usual "Nyquist + Mantha + 1st for Edler" that wrecks the place.  Some examples:

Cody Franson for 3rd
Tatar + Ouellet for B. Schenn + L. Schenn
Pulkkinen + Ouellet for L. Schenn
Tatar + Ouellet + pick for Bogosian
Wideman for 3rd + Jensen
Wideman for 3rd + Nestasil
Byfuglin for Tatar + Ouellet
Byfuglin for Tatar + 1st
Niskanens rights for 3rd
Gardiner for Tatar + Frk
Shattenkirk for Nyquist
Jensen for 2nd
Wideman + 2nd for Mitch Callahan + 1st

None of these break the bank and upgrade the team.  To give one example - Tatar + Oullet for Byfuglin.  The loss of Tatar is easily replaced by Jurco and Mantha.  Losing Oullet only leaves us with Almquist, Backman, Marchenko, Sproul and Jensen - I mean, how will we cope with such a pitiful group of D prospects :rolleyes:

That one trade leaves us with something like

Jurco - Datsyuk - Alfie

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Franzen

Abdelkader - Sheahan - Mantha

Miller - Helm - Glendening

Weiss

Kronwall - Smith

DeKeyser - Byfuglin

Ericsson - Marchenko/Backman

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#31 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

I think Helm, Franzen and Howard could definitely get us some decent returns. I'm not a huge fan of Howard and I feel that if he couldn't get us out of the 2nd round with the likes of Raf, Lids, Stuart and Kronwall in his prime, he certainly isn't gonna do it with whomever we move forward with regarding our defense. I like Helm but I'll know we have a solid team if he plays mainly on our 4th line and our pk as usual. Franzen has worn out his welcome here. I'll never hate Mule cause we wouldn't have got our Cup without him but the Wings are going a different direction then where he is headed. Hope is not lost and I'll take a consistent goalie and a solid defenseman and some gritty, scoring wingers to make us tougher if these possibilities arise.

Edited by GoWings!, 08 May 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#32 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

the name of the thread can also be read as " What do we HAVE to trade?"  Like, what do we have to trade in order to have enough roster spots for the players we have and aren't sending down and the players we need.

I think we HAVE to trade Andersson and Kindl at least. They aren't going to get us anything but a low draft pick or future considerations, but they have to go to make room.  Ferraro, Callahan and Almqvist also need to be dealt with or dealt.  I am not sure any of them clear waivers if they don't make the club.

We need upgrade's at Forward, D and G.  Pretty much all around.  The kids aren't going anywhere, so that means that 4-5 roster spots are taken.  Jurco, Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan and Dekeyser will all be here next season and beyond.  So the upgrade is going to have to come via trade, there aren't any UFA's out there that really are going to make this team overnight contenders... I hear what you are all saying about Moulson and Vanek, but I the money they are going to get is going to be too high for what all we need to accomplish.  I am a fan of Stastny, but he already makes a ton and will get more.  I think the trade route is the way to go. I think Kesler will be pursued.  Pricey though.  I still the the best upgrade we could ask for is Kesler and Edler via the trade market.

Goalie is a hair pulling dilemma.  I agree that Howard is 99% here to stay (at least until Mrazek shows he is ready to take over.)  But it would be nice to have the option to pursue Halak, Hiller or Miller.  I also agree that is Howard couldn't get us out of the 2nd with Lids, Rafi and Stu, he is not going to get us out of the 1st on his own any time soon. There are no Lids, Rafi's or Stu's out there to sign, and even upgrading to Edler and Niskanen isn't going to allow Howard to make his mistakes and still let us advance.  I am a firm believer we need an upgrade in that position, but if we are stuck with him, we need to upgrade the #2 guy with a player who is going to really push Howard to be better, if that is possible. I would take Vokoun, Naby or Bryz as a backup.  Also Brian Elliot has become expendable in St. Louis, that is if Miller re-signs there.

UFA's - You all got to go.  The only one I would like to see back is Legwand, but with the logjam up front and the need to upgrade the scoring, there just isn't room.  If Weiss comes back 100% and returns to form, he should be just as effective centering Franzen and Nyquist as Legwand was.  I would still welcome Legwand back though.  Who knows, if a trade goes down, there just may be some room for him afterall.  The rest, you all need to go.  Sammy, Bert, Cleary, Alfie, Quincey and Monster....thanks, but enjoy the rest of your lives.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#33 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

UFA's - You all got to go.  The only one I would like to see back is Legwand, but with the logjam up front and the need to upgrade the scoring, there just isn't room.  If Weiss comes back 100% and returns to form, he should be just as effective centering Franzen and Nyquist as Legwand was.  I would still welcome Legwand back though.  Who knows, if a trade goes down, there just may be some room for him afterall.  The rest, you all need to go.  Sammy, Bert, Cleary, Alfie, Quincey and Monster....thanks, but enjoy the rest of your lives.

Unless we sign a bonafide top 6er, I'd like to see Alfie back. He had a good year and could have an even better one if our team is somewhat healthy.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#34 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

We all can and do have long lists of players that we would love to have playing for the RW's. Holland and Babcock have both talked about adding "top 6 forward" and a "RHed top 4 Dman". That of course is the easy part. The much harder part is figuring out who we can trade away, without completely gutting the team and our future.

So who can be used in trades?

The following can't be do to NTC/NMC: Datsyuk, Weiss, Kronwall, Ericsson, and Howard.

can't be moved do to sentimental reasons: Zetterberg.

UFA's and no value: bertuzzi, Sammy, Cleary, Legwand, Quincy, Alfie, and gus.

Now we can begin.

Forwards with some value: Helm, Abby, Miller, Nyquist, tatar, Sheahan, Franzen, Jurco, Glendening, Andersson, Pulkkinan, TooToo, Callahan, and ferraro.

Dmen with some value: Dekeyser, Smith, lashoff, Kindl, Ouellet, Sproul, marchenko, and backman.

G with value: Mrasek

minor/junior players: long list.

Now the debate begins. You need 14 forwards, 7 Dmen, and 2 G's on the NHL team. You need a few NHL ready prospects in the AHL in the event of injuries. 2-3 F 2 Dmen and a G in GR that can be called up should be enough-we hope.

So the extras;

helm and Glendening. Physically they are twins. both about 5-11/195. On the ice they are very similar. Helm a little faster, Glendening a little grittier. Both play the same position: checking line C. Glendening is 2 years younger and about 1.5 million cheaper. I would keep Glendening and use Helm in a trade to fill our 2 major holes.

Tatar and Pulkkinen. Again very similar players. both in the 5-10/190 range. Both are snipers. Same age. the only real difference is, Pulkkinen is Rhed and tatar is a lefty. Neither is big, both need to improve defensively, and both a good shooters. between the 2, tatar has more trade value because he has done it at the NHL level, Pulk still in the minors. keep Pulk and use tatar in a trade.

kindl. he struggled this year but has played better in the past. We have a ton of good young Dmen right on the verge of being ready. use him in trade, but this is a selling low year with Kindl.

Smith. Does he stay or go? I am fine with either. But you have to provide some value to get some value. In the right deal there isn't anything lost. if we are going after say Carlson to be the RHed Dman, then moving Smith is fine. after all Carlson is Rhed, proven, and a year younger than Smith. With Ouellet and backman a year or so away, this isn't a big risk in the right move.....

Mrasek. yes he looks like a guy that could be very good at the NHL level in a couple of years. But that also makes him a very valuable trade piece. We have a very good NHL G in Howard-who is signed long term. We have another good looking prospect behind Mrasek in Paterson. This means if we have to, in the right deal, we can in fact move him. In the grand scheme of things, what is more important to the team right now? A great G prospect or a great Dmen or Power forward?

Those 5 are our primary pieces that we can move in a trade without causing more holes to appear. yes the 2014 1st round pick can be added to the list, making 6 major trade pieces. we still then have filler like Callahan, Ferraro, Almqvist. That should be enough to make 2 nice deals.

Mrazek is our next goalie.

#35 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:38 PM

Mrazek may be our next goalie, but that is 3 years or more down the road. I doubt Holland does much of anything. Which means another 3-5 years fighting to make the PO's and losing in the first.

#36 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

I don't think Howard will be here in 3 years

#37 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

Mrazek may be our next goalie, but that is 3 years or more down the road. I doubt Holland does much of anything. Which means another 3-5 years fighting to make the PO's and losing in the first.

I believe that will be sooner rather than later.

#38 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,946 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:05 PM

Mrazek got lit up a bit tonight in Texas in game one of round 2.

5-2 final. 

No big deal just FYI. 

Edited by rick zombo, 08 May 2014 - 10:06 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#39 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:17 PM

I'd say Franzen's value is that of a bag of pucks but....

#40 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:27 PM

I would add Ericsson on the trade list also.

Smith is a good fit for Kronwall.
E is supposed to be physical... but he isn't.

Buff/Niskanen with DeKe, add a veteran physical def (à la Yemelin) to play with Marchenko and add someone like Matt Greene as a 7th def and that's a pretty much better DEF.

Forwards:
Z - Dats - Kassian/Wilson type (big, forechecking animal)
Franzen - Weiss - Nyquist
Jurco - She - Tatar (if not traded for Buff) Pulks
Abdelakader - Helm - Martin/Gazdic type

Callahan/LG
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan