• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shaman

Regner: Next year could be Babcock's last

Rate this topic

Mike Babcock will coach the Detroit Red Wings through the end of next season. That's a certainty.

But beyond next year, it's really up to Babcock. When the Wings gathered to take their team picture and clean out their lockers a little over a week ago, Babcock made his intentions perfectly clear. For now, he'll continue to coach in Detroit in some capacity because his daughter will be a senior in high school. Babcock jokingly said that if he wasn't the Wings coach next season, he'd be Red Berenson's assistant at Michigan.
And then he said, "Look, I can get a job."
After the 2014-15 season -- Babcock's last under contract -- he will have been Detroit's coach for 10 seasons.
It's a common belief that, regardless of how effective a coach is, the message becomes stale after a decade, making a change of scenery beneficial for the team and often the outgoing coach.

http://msn.foxsports.com/detroit/story/regner-next-season-could-be-finale-for-red-wings-coach-babcock-050914

Interesting speculation, could there be any truth to this?

I think its been expected that Babs will be considering moving on next season. It has nothing to do with the team or the city, I think were lucky that he stuck around for as long as he did just because of his multiple statements regarding sticking around a certain team for too long.

Its going to be a rough adjustment period when it does happen because his coaching is underrated. Although his lineups are beyond frustrating, his systems and strategies are unparalleled

I hate articles like this. They're increasingly common.

Regner is clearly reaching for conclusions. Nothing here indicates next year will be his last.

What Babcock has stated in other interviews as well is that he can get a job anywhere, so he's not concerned with getting some long term big-money deal. Only people who worry about the future of their careers do that. He just wants to take it year by year. That means he could be here another 10, or he could be gone next year.

Either way, nothing here supports Babcock's leaning one way or the other. But hey, page hits, I guess.

I wrote this in another thread, but the whole coach getting stale thing doesn't really apply to Babcock anymore. There's such a huge turnover in players that next year's team and the one after that will be almost entirely different than the ones during most of his tenure. So it's like getting a fresh start.

Plus, Babcock loves coaching young guys and building their game. He can do that in Detroit just as easily as anywhere else. At least here he has competent management to work with.

Babs could stay, it really depends on how the team performs next season. If they bomb, or exit quickly like this year, then the press should talk about him possibly leaving. Articles like this are simply premature by an entire calendar year.

This speculation is yesterday's news. Like dating back to last week even. Just because Regner's trolling his own readership this is now thread worthy?

Edit:

I'm posting this article written by a loser at the Toronto star and published on Tuesday, May 6th

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2014/05/06/maple_leafs_should_go_big_with_babcock_feschuk.html

For the unindustrious, it basically speculates that the Leafs should go after Babcock because he only has a year left in Detroit and assumes that Babcock wants to move on, even going as far as to imply he has no say in what goes on in Detroit. Just pulp sensationalism really.

Of course all this was followed quickly by a two year Carlyle extension.

THIS is the currency of pot-stirring speculative journalism.

Regner now has all the credibilty of a writer for the Toronto Star. Way to go Art!!!!!!

Edited by rick zombo

Its definately not a certainty that he will be here beyond next season, he's certainly keeping his options open in interviews, but as I posted in another thread, he said the other day - before you leave "you better make sure the grass is greener on the other side". So, if there's a vacancy at a realgud but underachieving team (Pittsburgh I'm looking in your direction) I could see him moving on.

I hate articles like this. They're increasingly common.

Regner is clearly reaching for conclusions. Nothing here indicates next year will be his last.

What Babcock has stated in other interviews as well is that he can get a job anywhere, so he's not concerned with getting some long term big-money deal. Only people who worry about the future of their careers do that. He just wants to take it year by year. That means he could be here another 10, or he could be gone next year.

Either way, nothing here supports Babcock's leaning one way or the other. But hey, page hits, I guess.

I wrote this in another thread, but the whole coach getting stale thing doesn't really apply to Babcock anymore. There's such a huge turnover in players that next year's team and the one after that will be almost entirely different than the ones during most of his tenure. So it's like getting a fresh start.

Plus, Babcock loves coaching young guys and building their game. He can do that in Detroit just as easily as anywhere else. At least here he has competent management to work with.

Actually, everything revolving the situation indicates next year will be his last. He has one year left. Blashill has one year left. Holland is not allowing other teams to talk to Blash. Babs said he doesn't want to talk about an extension this summer. It's also Babs' philosophy a coach can only be effective for 9 years. I fully expect Babs to move on after next year and Blash to take the reigns. Not that I think Babs is bad or his time is up, but IMO the writing is on the wall. Change is not always bad and Blash is Babs 2.0.

I think we're looking too deeply into the Babcock/Blashill situation. It could be a coincidence. It could be that we just want another year of Blashill coaching our kids and that he's not even in line to be coach.

It could be that Babcock only wanted to do one year extensions and obviously they knew this early on, and to hedge their bets they are keeping Blashill just in case. A business, insurance-type move and nothing more. I mean, none of what we know leans one way or the other. It's entirely in the hands of the reader to determine what they think, and so articles like Regner's are silly.

I think we're looking too deeply into the Babcock/Blashill situation. It could be a coincidence. It could be that we just want another year of Blashill coaching our kids and that he's not even in line to be coach.

It could be that Babcock only wanted to do one year extensions and obviously they knew this early on, and to hedge their bets they are keeping Blashill just in case. A business, insurance-type move and nothing more. I mean, none of what we know leans one way or the other. It's entirely in the hands of the reader to determine what they think, and so articles like Regner's are silly.

This. There's some posturing on both sides - Babcock is fighting for money/personal preferences, and Holland doesn't want to make Babs bigger than the team, IMO. Obviously they have a good relationship, but business is business. Babcock says he can get a job anywhere, Holland says "well we've got a pretty good future coach in the AHL if need be."

There was also a radio interview done by Babcock where he basically said that he loves it here, has no reason to leave, he's excited about the kids, etc. If anything, he sound more excited than usual (when he was mentioning getting stale, the whole Charlie Brown tuning out thing). Not sure if anyone else has heard it, but it runs against a lot of the stuff in Regner's article.

Edited by Jesusberg

Remember when Datsyuk was going back to Russia after this season, and Zetterberg would never play hockey again. Reporters stir up rumors they know nothing of just to get some publicity.

This. There's some posturing on both sides - Babcock is fighting for money/personal preferences, and Holland doesn't want to make Babs bigger than the team, IMO. Obviously they have a good relationship, but business is business. Babcock says he can get a job anywhere, Holland says "well we've got a pretty good future coach in the AHL if need be."

There was also a radio interview done by Babcock where he basically said that he loves it here, has no reason to leave, he's excited about the kids, etc. If anything, he sound more excited than usual (when he was mentioning getting stale, the whole Charlie Brown tuning out thing). Not sure if anyone else has heard it, but it runs against a lot of the stuff in Regner's article.

I doubt it's money related. He is one of, if not, the highest paid coach in the league

Remember when Datsyuk was going back to Russia after this season, and Zetterberg would never play hockey again. Reporters stir up rumors they know nothing of just to get some publicity.

I doubt it's money related. He is one of, if not, the highest paid coach in the league

I guess more accurately, he's just trying to make sure he's not undervalued.

Yeah, that's some horrible journalism. People are just building up speculation to push paper (what's the modern internet equivalent - get clicks?)

Here's Babcock's response:

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2014/05/07/mike-babcock-on-toronto-rumours/

He says after talking about his great situation in Detroit (Paraphrase) "Why would I want to leave."

It really sounds like only reason he would leave is if Holland wanted a change.

P.S. In the interview there's good bit on Mantha where he says: (Paraphrase)"We'll see if he needs a half year in Grand Rapids." which makes it sound like he'll be on the team at some point next year. Also, On defensemen, when talking about the players next year becoming a puck moving D core again, he mentions Backman with other rosters players. I hadn't thought he would be a possibility for the roster next year. Hmmm

Guest Playmaker

Next year might be Babcock's last...........or it might not be. It's basically, it's the offseason and there's not much else to talk about, so let's get some conversation going.

Next year might be Babcock's last...........or it might not be. It's basically, it's the offseason and there's not much else to talk about, so let's get some conversation going.

We don't have conversations here. We have a bunch of spoiled brats with agendas trying to cram thier opinions down other people's chutes. :tounge2:

If no changes are made to make this team competitive I would move on also, Babs has been very polite and respectful regarding the situation, he is all class and will be missed if he moves on... Hollands needs to be aggressive and not a pacifist, if not step down and let someone else take the reigns who will be aggressive and put a solid product out on the ice; he owes it to Pavel, Z, Kronner, and Babs...

I may catch flack for my post, but how I feel

As long as Babcock is entering the final year of his contract, this speculation is going to ramp up and get louder. He's the best coach in hockey and he's heading towards free agency -- of course journalists are going to speculate. If the org really wants him to stay, and doesn't want this to be Topic 1 at every road game next year, it should put an end to the speculation.

Guest Playmaker

I wouldn't really care if Tom Renney goes, I'd actually rather he did leave. He was brought in specifically to improve the PP and hasn't done that. I think bringing in new assistants has kept things fresh and brought new ideas.

What has Renney ever done for our PP ? It seems like it gets worse every year, he is a serious step back from McLellan sad but true.

Yeah it may be Babcocks last year but that's already old stuff. Seems like the media is hunting for some articles.

If he leaves I hope he ends up with a contender and can win another cup soon, best coach in hockey by far.

The media are gonna report on this all season if Babcock is not re-signed and heads towards free agency. Does anyone think that would be good for the Wings? I think it would become a huge and chances-damaging distraction if it got to that. Which is why I want it addressed by the team well before the season starts. Either re-sign him, or both parties come out once and say there will be no contract talks during the season and there will be no discussion about it. (Not that I think the latter would have a chance of working -- reporters would still speculate constantly about where he's going).