• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shaman

Regner: Next year could be Babcock's last

Rate this topic

I was kinda surprised that Kenny wouldn't just come out and call him the best coach in the league. It was like, "Well, I respect what he does and the work he puts in. (I guess.) He's pretty good, y'know. But change is good. I think if you made a list of the best coaches in the league, he would probably be on it. (But then, I haven't really thought about it, so, I dunno.) Certainly he's, like, top-30. Yeah, I like Mike. I guess."

Personally, I'm ready for Blashill. He's going to be the next Babcock for us, or he's going to be the next Babcock for someone else. That's the issue here, from the organization's perspective. It's lose Blashill and, soon enough, Babcock, or lose Babcock.

I wonder if Franzen responds to a new coach. Maybe "more joy" was a euphemism for "less Babcock."

I think it will work out perfectly replacing Babcock with Blashill. I love Babs and think he's a great coach but this is a new era of Red Wings. Hopefully no more unexplained man crushes develop because it was starting to get a little weird there

I think it will work out perfectly replacing Babcock with Blashill. I love Babs and think he's a great coach but this is a new era of Red Wings. Hopefully no more unexplained man crushes develop because it was starting to get a little weird there

Wow, it just hit me: Glendening has replaced Cleary in Babs's heart of hearts. All of Babs's talk about the old guys never getting their jobs back, that was his way of saying Cleary broke his heart and now he's never gonna let him in again.

This s*** cuts DEEP.

Wow, it just hit me: Glendening has replaced Cleary in Babs's heart of hearts. All of Babs's talk about the old guys never getting their jobs back, that was his way of saying Cleary broke his heart and now he's never gonna let him in again.

This s*** cuts DEEP.

I like glendening so it's ok with me

Ya I never had a problem with Glendening. He'll only get better as an agitator. My problem with Babs lines most of the time is that he just goes with Size/Grit-Playmaker-Shooter for every line and forces it down our throat even when it doesn't work for 5+ games. Sometimes players just play well with others and its not about having a formula. So we end up with one guy on each line that appears to be playing well and dragging around some dead weight so all our lines are ineffective instead of at least having 1 or 2 lines really competing

good.

I know he is a good coach, but I grow tired of his lineup decisions. Remember, he only played the kids because he was forced to due to injury. If Cleary hadn't been injured, he damn sure would have been in the lineup. Look how Bertuzzi kept getting in, even though the kids were outplaying him.

bring in Larionov.

Word around Toronto is that Carlyle is being brought back because the Leafs think there is a chance they can get Babcock after next season, and they don't want to sign an inferior coach long term while that door is still open.

I know Babs says he wants to stay in the Detroit area because of his daughter but 4 hours away in Toronto probably isn't out of the question considering the money they'll probably throw at him.

good.

I know he is a good coach, but I grow tired of his lineup decisions. Remember, he only played the kids because he was forced to due to injury. If Cleary hadn't been injured, he damn sure would have been in the lineup. Look how Bertuzzi kept getting in, even though the kids were outplaying him.

bring in Larionov.

That's not true. Cleary was scratched before he was injured. Bertuzzi only got in 1 playoff game when no one was looking effective. He was playing before late in the season because we were missing pretty much everyone and the kids were still in the lineup so he wasn't taking their spots.

Beware of the grass on the other side.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

As good a job as Blashill has done with the Griffins, there is no evidence he will be a good NHL head coach. Look at Dallas Eakins -- everyone's darling a year ago coming out of the AHL, then had a lousy season were the Oilers appeared to regress. The assumption some have that Blashill is just gonna walk into Babcock's job a year from now and be as good a coach and we all live happily ever after strikes me as folly in the extreme. We have the best coach in hockey, by far IMO, and we should be trying to re-up him for several more years. The idea that his shelf life is coming to an end might have some validity, but all the roster turnover we have had and that is still coming would seem to mitigate that.

As good a job as Blashill has done with the Griffins, there is no evidence he will be a good NHL head coach. Look at Dallas Eakins -- everyone's darling a year ago coming out of the AHL, then had a lousy season were the Oilers appeared to regress. The assumption some have that Blashill is just gonna walk into Babcock's job a year from now and be as good a coach and we all live happily ever after strikes me as folly in the extreme. We have the best coach in hockey, by far IMO, and we should be trying to re-up him for several more years. The idea that his shelf life is coming to an end might have some validity, but all the roster turnover we have had and that is still coming would seem to mitigate that.

You don't think Blash has the requisite level of astuteness to ride Nyquist into the playoffs, then change up all the lines and render his offense without teeth, and then lose in five games?

I hope you're right.

I agree with this. I hope Blashill is a solid head coach in the NHL, but we really have no clue whether he'll be phenomenal or a total bust until he's been behind the bench. What makes me optimistic is that several coaches who have worked alongside Babcock have gone on to have successful coaching gigs elsewhere, and Holland and co decided to retain Blashill, which may speak to his potential. He has also had amazing (and surprisingly immediate) success at the college level, and in the AHL. He already coaches a similar style to the Wings' system, as evidenced by how successful our call-ups have been. Everyone was expecting Nyqvist to shine, but probably not as brightly as he did. I wasn't expecting Jurco and certainly not Sheahan to steal spots this year, and Glendening also came out of nowhere. I think their success at the NHL level is partly due to how they were coached in the years leading up to this.

Anyway, I guess if and when the time comes that Babcock moves on from his current position, unless Trotz or Tippet are available, I would be comfortable taking a chance on Blashill. He's certainly done everything he can do to at least earn the opportunity to be a head coach.

This year could be Regner's last

I think a few years bac k Stevie Y in Tampa had a genious coach that is now unemployed... Wasn't he the coach who had them play the rope a dope trap in that his team wouldn't leave the neutral zone and just waited for the other team? It was ridiculous

Is it really so hard to believe that Babs could be gone at the end of this year? I mean, regardless of who you blame, he hasn't made it past the second round since 2009. If the Wings totally s*** the bed in the playoffs next year wouldn't you be tempted to let Babs walk and bring in your superstar AHL coach if you were Holland?

Everyone keeps looking at this like it's Babs' decision and he wants to stay, but maybe it isn't. Maybe the organization isn't too thrilled with being bounced early and might want to go a different direction. Lord knows the coach always gets the axe before the GM. Maybe they're waiting to see what he can do with a (hopefully) healthy roster next year before deciding to commit to him.

Is it really so hard to believe that Babs could be gone at the end of this year? I mean, regardless of who you blame, he hasn't made it past the second round since 2009. If the Wings totally s*** the bed in the playoffs next year wouldn't you be tempted to let Babs walk and bring in your superstar AHL coach if you were Holland?

Everyone keeps looking at this like it's Babs' decision and he wants to stay, but maybe it isn't. Maybe the organization isn't too thrilled with being bounced early and might want to go a different direction. Lord knows the coach always gets the axe before the GM. Maybe they're waiting to see what he can do with a (hopefully) healthy roster next year before deciding to commit to him.

The guy has been dealing with enough injuries and expired players the past few seasons that even if they didn't make the play offs he still really could not have been to blame. Babcock is a wizard and has proven that many times over... if Babs decides to move it will be a sad sad day in Detroit. As sad of a day as when Scotty retired. Give Babs a healthy team (even this past years team) and we are as dangerous as the next.

The guy has been dealing with enough injuries and expired players the past few seasons that even if they didn't make the play offs he still really could not have been to blame. Babcock is a wizard and has proven that many times over... if Babs decides to move it will be a sad sad day in Detroit. As sad of a day as when Scotty retired. Give Babs a healthy team (even this past years team) and we are as dangerous as the next.

I don't really have any interest in bashing or defending Babs as a coach. My feelings on the topic are well known. My point was to suggest that it's entirely possible that Babs doesn't return next year, not because he chooses to walk away, but rather because the organization doesn't want him back. Any professional sport is a "what have you done for me lately" sort of business. And our team isn't competing for Cups. So far its been easy enough to blame injuries and roster turnover for our fall from Cup contention. But if the team struggles to make the playoffs or loses badly before the conference finals next year, and we stay largely healthy, I don't think it's unrealistic to imagine organization going in a different direction.

You've got to figure they're not hanging onto Blashill just for the hell of it.

If Babcock isn't re-signed, IMO being in tough to make the playoffs will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. The put-of-town media will ask about and report on his pending free agency at every game on the road, and it will become a massive distraction. That's what happens when the guy widely recognizes as the best in the business heads towards free agency -- and why very few top-drawer coaches in any sport have been allowed to "play out their option year." If the org does not extend him this summer, we will be in for a season of distraction and uncertainty.

If Babcock isn't re-signed, IMO being in tough to make the playoffs will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. The put-of-town media will ask about and report on his pending free agency at every game on the road, and it will become a massive distraction. That's what happens when the guy widely recognizes as the best in the business heads towards free agency -- and why very few top-drawer coaches in any sport have been allowed to "play out their option year." If the org does not extend him this summer, we will be in for a season of distraction and uncertainty.

Totally agree. It will be a distraction. But if he's not re-signed the culpable party is the more interesting point of information. If he's offered a contract but doesn't balks at negotiating, then you know Babs wants out. If he's not offered anything, you know Holland is hedging his bets...likely becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy in itself.

I don't really have any interest in bashing or defending Babs as a coach. My feelings on the topic are well known. My point was to suggest that it's entirely possible that Babs doesn't return next year, not because he chooses to walk away, but rather because the organization doesn't want him back. Any professional sport is a "what have you done for me lately" sort of business. And our team isn't competing for Cups. So far its been easy enough to blame injuries and roster turnover for our fall from Cup contention. But if the team struggles to make the playoffs or loses badly before the conference finals next year, and we stay largely healthy, I don't think it's unrealistic to imagine organization going in a different direction.

You've got to figure they're not hanging onto Blashill just for the hell of it.

I think there is reason enough to keep him just in the fact that he seems to be doing a great job in helping to develop our prospects. And also the way he has implemented structure that allows call-ups to make the jump to the NHL pretty seamlessly. Without considering the future, that would be something that we wouldn't want to put in Jeopardy next year - especially when we will have important prospects in GR (Mantha? Sproul? Marchecko? Oulette?, etc) I think it was an integral part of the team's Rebuild/Transition strategy to have a strong coach in GR that has served alongside Babcock for a year.