• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shaman

Regner: Next year could be Babcock's last

Rate this topic

I think there is reason enough to keep him just in the fact that he seems to be doing a great job in helping to develop our prospects. And also the way he has implemented structure that allows call-ups to make the jump to the NHL pretty seamlessly. Without considering the future, that would be something that we wouldn't want to put in Jeopardy next year - especially when we will have important prospects in GR (Mantha? Sproul? Marchecko? Oulette?, etc) I think it was an integral part of the team's Rebuild/Transition strategy to have a strong coach in GR that has served alongside Babcock for a year.

I totally agree, but when you hear KH talk about "not wanting to be a developmental team for league management" you've got to think there's more to it than just wanting to wait until after the rebuild. Then again, that's speculation, so what do I know? My whole point was just to say that if Babs getting extended was a done deal from both sides, then why isn't it a done deal?

I totally agree, but when you hear KH talk about "not wanting to be a developmental team for league management" you've got to think there's more to it than just wanting to wait until after the rebuild. Then again, that's speculation, so what do I know? My whole point was just to say that if Babs getting extended was a done deal from both sides, then why isn't it a done deal?

Likely because it is not an important decision for any of them at this moment. Babcock has spelled it out pretty clearly:

1. If they are happy (which I would bet they are) then he is happy.

2. If he is happy then he is perfectly comfortable with the ownership and the management and the direction the team is heading.

3. If they are not happy, he will not be happy but he is also not worried because he would have another job within minute of that information becoming public.

4. Scotty Bowman went year to year.

Someone else also pointed out that if you are worried about your future you lock down the longest fattest deal you can as fast as you can. Babcock has way too much of a pedigree ( and a winning pedigree.. most winning pedigree in Detroit history if I am not mistaken) to sweat that kind of stuff

PS. Yes I know I am a Babock homer! Rightfully so. We don't want another "don't know what you got till it's gone" song to play out.... I'm looking at you mouthless David Lewis

Edited by The Secret

Also, it is not really in Babcock's interest to sign an extension because a multi-year deal would raise the possibility of being fired, which would stain his record. Going year by year he can just move on after whatever year.

If it's anything like players contracts he might make more money not asking for a multi-year deal. Okay, now I've thought about it too much...,but hey, it's the off-season.

Likely because it is not an important decision for any of them at this moment. Babcock has spelled it out pretty clearly:

1. If they are happy (which I would bet they are) then he is happy.

2. If he is happy then he is perfectly comfortable with the ownership and the management and the direction the team is heading.

3. If they are not happy, he will not be happy but he is also not worried because he would have another job within minute of that information becoming public.

4. Scotty Bowman went year to year.

Someone else also pointed out that if you are worried about your future you lock down the longest fattest deal you can as fast as you can. Babcock has way too much of a pedigree ( and a winning pedigree.. most winning pedigree in Detroit history if I am not mistaken) to sweat that kind of stuff

PS. Yes I know I am a Babock homer! Rightfully so. We don't want another "don't know what you got till it's gone" song to play out.... I'm looking at you mouthless David Lewis

This is a great post.

Also, it is not really in Babcock's interest to sign an extension because a multi-year deal would raise the possibility of being fired, which would stain his record. Going year by year he can just move on after whatever year.

If it's anything like players contracts he might make more money not asking for a multi-year deal. Okay, now I've thought about it too much...,but hey, it's the off-season.

That is a great point, Babcock and every other GM in this league knows exactly how things are:

Twitter Babcock is available --> his phone rinks nonstop

I also believe he wants to see where this team is going, before deciding his future. I mean think about it, he is the winningest coach in the history of this great franchise, nothing left to proof if he one day decides to go to a contender fine and right now nobody knows how Blashill will do in the NHL *couch* Eakins *cough*

Rob Rossi, Penguins beat reporter with a Pittsburgh paper, just reported on TSN Radio 1050 that Babcock would be interested in the Pens' coaching job if it is open a year from now. This is the trouble -- every decent coaching job (either contending team like Pittsburgh or big-money team like Toronto) is going to be speculated on as a good fit for Babcock as long as he is heading towards free agency. A year of this talk will do the Wings no good and a lot of harm. IMO the org needs to offer him an extension that ensures he's the best-paid coach in hockey. If he refuses to sign, then cut him loose and move on rather than go through a year of death by a thousand cuts.

Rob Rossi, Penguins beat reporter with a Pittsburgh paper, just reported on TSN Radio 1050 that Babcock would be interested in the Pens' coaching job if it is open a year from now. This is the trouble -- every decent coaching job (either contending team like Pittsburgh or big-money team like Toronto) is going to be speculated on as a good fit for Babcock as long as he is heading towards free agency. A year of this talk will do the Wings no good and a lot of harm. IMO the org needs to offer him an extension that ensures he's the best-paid coach in hockey. If he refuses to sign, then cut him loose and move on rather than go through a year of death by a thousand cuts.

Didn't hurt Bowman. The players won't care unless Babcock us acting like he has a foot out the door, and panic from the chicken little fans won't affect the team either.

Didn't hurt Bowman. The players won't care unless Babcock us acting like he has a foot out the door, and panic from the chicken little fans won't affect the team either.

Point taken, but surely you'd agree that Bowman's team full of veteran Hall of Famers was FAR less likely to be distracted by anything at all than Babcock's team full of rookies, no?

The fact that it didn't have a negative impact in one instance says very little about whether it will in the other.

Point taken, but surely you'd agree that Bowman's team full of veteran Hall of Famers was FAR less likely to be distracted by anything at all than Babcock's team full of rookies, no?

The fact that it didn't have a negative impact in one instance says very little about whether it will in the other.

Maybe it will, but I doubt it. Even tjwnyounger guys are still professional hockey players. Some posts about it act like it's a certainty to hurt the team.

I think Bowman was a much different case. He was a lot older and there was no reason to believe he would ever coach anywhere else. He was perceived as close to retirement for most of his tenure in Detroit. And he was not seen as the favourite candidate in every city with a vacancy or potential vacancy the way Babcock is.

If he ends up "playing out his option" with the Wings next season, without any statement from him or the team to quash suggestions he could leave of his own accord after the season, I believe it will become a major distraction and will not in any way help the Wings get back to Cup contention next season. I would love to be proven wrong but I would love a lot more to have the whole issue go away once and for all by getting him to sign an extension.

It won't be a distraction. Babcock cuts to the chase pretty roughly. If a rumor starts he will simply say that he has one job to do and so do his players and leave it at that. It's not like he will bolt mid-season and cause chaos.

It won't be a distraction. Babcock cuts to the chase pretty roughly. If a rumor starts he will simply say that he has one job to do and so do his players and leave it at that. It's not like he will bolt mid-season and cause chaos.

But surely you'd agree that with a team full of young guys it would be better to have stability and assurance. I mean, on a veteran team who really cares? They're professionals. But I'd imagine it would be tough for all the youngsters...

...except Brendan Smith. He'd salivate thinking of a team with no Babs, he'd never have to be bothered to play defense again. (Sorry, had to).

But surely you'd agree that with a team full of young guys it would be better to have stability and assurance. I mean, on a veteran team who really cares? They're professionals. But I'd imagine it would be tough for all the youngsters...

...except Brendan Smith. He'd salivate thinking of a team with no Babs, he'd never have to be bothered to play defense again. (Sorry, had to).

I doubt it. It's a business and they should be mature enough to deal with someone leaving especially a coach.

I doubt it. It's a business and they should be mature enough to deal with someone leaving especially a coach.

Well I wasn't suggesting that they were going to break down and sob. I was, however, suggesting that their inexperience and relative lack of "professionalism" might mean they'd be more easily distracted by protracted management instability. But you "doubt it". So that's that.

He wants to go to a team that actually has some talent in their prime. He wants to go to a team that, coached right, could actually go far. Can you blame him? Obviously sick of the gross mismanagement by Holland. It's sad that our top two players next year will be 36 and 35 respectively.

But don't worry guys, I'm sure Franzen will totally bounce back.

Yes, Holland is incompetent. Total nincompoop. He's so bad, he took over as GM, won a Cup after losing one of the most important pieces of his team to a limo accident, oversaw the transition from one core of players to another, won another Cup, and is currently overseeing another core change all without missing the playoffs or having a bunch o top 10 picks. Total idiot.

This speculation is yesterday's news. Like dating back to last week even. Just because Regner's trolling his own readership this is now thread worthy?

Edit:

I'm posting this article written by a loser at the Toronto star and published on Tuesday, May 6th

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2014/05/06/maple_leafs_should_go_big_with_babcock_feschuk.html

For the unindustrious, it basically speculates that the Leafs should go after Babcock because he only has a year left in Detroit and assumes that Babcock wants to move on, even going as far as to imply he has no say in what goes on in Detroit. Just pulp sensationalism really.

Of course all this was followed quickly by a two year Carlyle extension.

THIS is the currency of pot-stirring speculative journalism.

Regner now has all the credibilty of a writer for the Toronto Star. Way to go Art!!!!!!

Typical Toronto to think everyone wants to be a Maple Leaf. The reality is, no one wants to play in Toronto. I've met Wojtek Wolski's Dad. A friend of mine told him he should tell his son to sign with the Maple Leafs. His Dad said, "No one wants to play in Toronto"

He wants to go to a team that actually has some talent in their prime. He wants to go to a team that, coached right, could actually go far. Can you blame him? Obviously sick of the gross mismanagement by Holland. It's sad that our top two players next year will be 36 and 35 respectively.

But don't worry guys, I'm sure Franzen will totally bounce back.

I guess you haven't heard of Nyquist and Tatar?

Well I wasn't suggesting that they were going to break down and sob. I was, however, suggesting that their inexperience and relative lack of "professionalism" might mean they'd be more easily distracted by protracted management instability. But you "doubt it". So that's that.

All speculation. Lots of veterans in the locker room will make sure things don't get out of hand.

Typical Toronto to think everyone wants to be a Maple Leaf. The reality is, no one wants to play in Toronto. I've met Wojtek Wolski's Dad. A friend of mine told him he should tell his son to sign with the Maple Leafs. His Dad said, "No one wants to play in Toronto"

I guess you haven't heard of Nyquist and Tatar?

Think so. Aren't they those guys who didn't get a single point in the playoffs, despite it being their second run?

Guest Playmaker

Blashill has won one Calder Cup and now everyone wants him to replace Babcock? Yeah, what's Mikey won lately? Some of this speculation is so ridiculous, its hard to comprehend.

I remember Quenneville having issues in the playoffs year after year, then he landed in Chicago, then Bowman was added into the fold... 2 cups later

Chicago has a lot of talent....

Babs has done the best he could with what was given him, more or less...

Not that I want Babs to leave at all, but I do think this will be his last season. Ten years is an eternity with one organization in today's world and Babs has always talked about how the message gets stale after awhile.

If Babs is done, I want Blashill to take over. Groomed in Grand Rapids and most of those players will be with the Red Wings already or close to making it. Clearly is effective at player development with the success Grand Rapids has put together the past two seasons.

If the Wings could get Tippett out of Phoenix, that would be the only external choice I would prefer over Blashill. He coaches every team up and would have far more to work with in Detroit than that terrible situation in Phoenix.

Of course it's speculation, 90% of the posts on this forum are. What gave it away? The part where I said it "might" be a distraction. Glad you got to the bottom of that one Columbo.

Babs, at one point or another, was given Yzerman, Shanahan, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Schneider, Lang, Franzen, Stuart, Hossa, Alfredsson, Legwand, and Nyquist.

He wasn't exactly coaching a bunch of fourth liners.

You can't put all those names together to make it sound like he coached them all at the same time. Ya he had some good teams but he didn't have the 01/02 wings that bowman had, and some of those guys were far past their prime when he got them.