176 replies to this topic

#21 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

http://m.freep.com/S...05090136&f=1233

While Babcock is staying at least for another year, Holland has given permission to teams to talk to our associate coaches, so we may see a bit of a coaching change afterall.

#22 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

http://m.freep.com/S...05090136&f=1233

While Babcock is staying at least for another year, Holland has given permission to teams to talk to our associate coaches, so we may see a bit of a coaching change afterall.

Tom Renney probably wants to be a head coach again.

#23 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

I wouldn't really care if Tom Renney goes, I'd actually rather he did leave.    He was brought in specifically to improve the PP and hasn't done that.  I think bringing in new assistants has kept things fresh and brought new ideas. 

#24 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:47 AM

What has Renney ever done for our PP ? It seems like it gets worse every year, he is a serious step back from McLellan sad but true. Yeah it may be Babcocks last year but that's already old stuff. Seems like the media is hunting for some articles. If he leaves I hope he ends up with a contender and can win another cup soon, best coach in hockey by far.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#25 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:18 AM

The media are gonna report on this all season if Babcock is not re-signed and heads towards free agency. Does anyone think that would be good for the Wings? I think it would become a huge and chances-damaging distraction if it got to that. Which is why I want it addressed by the team well before the season starts. Either re-sign him, or both parties come out once and say there will be no contract talks during the season and there will be no discussion about it. (Not that I think the latter would have a chance of working -- reporters would still speculate constantly about where he's going).

#26 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,117 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

I was kinda surprised that Kenny wouldn't just come out and call him the best coach in the league. It was like, "Well, I respect what he does and the work he puts in. (I guess.) He's pretty good, y'know. But change is good. I think if you made a list of the best coaches in the league, he would probably be on it. (But then, I haven't really thought about it, so, I dunno.) Certainly he's, like, top-30. Yeah, I like Mike. I guess."

Don't Toews me, bro!

#27 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,117 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

Personally, I'm ready for Blashill. He's going to be the next Babcock for us, or he's going to be the next Babcock for someone else. That's the issue here, from the organization's perspective. It's lose Blashill and, soon enough, Babcock, or lose Babcock.

I wonder if Franzen responds to a new coach. Maybe "more joy" was a euphemism for "less Babcock."

Don't Toews me, bro!

#28 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

I think it will work out perfectly replacing Babcock with Blashill. I love Babs and think he's a great coach but this is a new era of Red Wings. Hopefully no more unexplained man crushes develop because it was starting to get a little weird there

#29 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,117 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

I think it will work out perfectly replacing Babcock with Blashill. I love Babs and think he's a great coach but this is a new era of Red Wings. Hopefully no more unexplained man crushes develop because it was starting to get a little weird there

Wow, it just hit me: Glendening has replaced Cleary in Babs's heart of hearts. All of Babs's talk about the old guys never getting their jobs back, that was his way of saying Cleary broke his heart and now he's never gonna let him in again.

This s*** cuts DEEP.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#30 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

Wow, it just hit me: Glendening has replaced Cleary in Babs's heart of hearts. All of Babs's talk about the old guys never getting their jobs back, that was his way of saying Cleary broke his heart and now he's never gonna let him in again.

This s*** cuts DEEP.

I like glendening so it's ok with me

#31 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

Ya I never had a problem with Glendening. He'll only get better as an agitator. My problem with Babs lines most of the time is that he just goes with Size/Grit-Playmaker-Shooter for every line and forces it down our throat even when it doesn't work for 5+ games. Sometimes players just play well with others and its not about having a formula. So we end up with one guy on each line that appears to be playing well and dragging around some dead weight so all our lines are ineffective instead of at least having 1 or 2 lines really competing

#32 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,117 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

I like glendening so it's ok with me

Same. Every team needs a good shutdown centerman. Crosby hates the Glendenings and Dubinskys of the world.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#33 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,816 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

good.

I know he is a good coach, but I grow tired of his lineup decisions. Remember, he only played the kids because he was forced to due to injury. If Cleary hadn't been injured, he damn sure would have been in the lineup. Look how Bertuzzi kept getting in, even though the kids were outplaying him.

bring in Larionov.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#34 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

Word around Toronto is that Carlyle is being brought back because the Leafs think there is a chance they can get Babcock after next season, and they don't want to sign an inferior coach long term while that door is still open.

I know Babs says he wants to stay in the Detroit area because of his daughter but 4 hours away in Toronto probably isn't out of the question considering the money they'll probably throw at him.

#35 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:56 PM

good.

I know he is a good coach, but I grow tired of his lineup decisions. Remember, he only played the kids because he was forced to due to injury. If Cleary hadn't been injured, he damn sure would have been in the lineup. Look how Bertuzzi kept getting in, even though the kids were outplaying him.

bring in Larionov.

That's not true. Cleary was scratched before he was injured. Bertuzzi only got in 1 playoff game when no one was looking effective. He was playing before late in the season because we were missing pretty much everyone and the kids were still in the lineup so he wasn't taking their spots.

Beware of the grass on the other side.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk, 10 May 2014 - 07:57 PM.

#36 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

I believe we'll learn a lot more about this...next summer.

-Elliot

#37 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

I believe we'll learn a lot more about this...next summer.

Interesting theory.

#38 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:17 PM

I think it's a good thing ... part on good terms, no one gets fired.  Give room for Blashill.  

Babs can pick any role he wants in the management team.  

#39 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:26 PM

Babs as the new General Manager....
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#40 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:07 AM

Babs as the new General Manager....

Ahh yes. Here's to a team full of Cleary's and Glendening's.