• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#61 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

It won't be a distraction. Babcock cuts to the chase pretty roughly. If a rumor starts he will simply say that he has one job to do and so do his players and leave it at that. It's not like he will bolt mid-season and cause chaos.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#62 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

It won't be a distraction. Babcock cuts to the chase pretty roughly. If a rumor starts he will simply say that he has one job to do and so do his players and leave it at that. It's not like he will bolt mid-season and cause chaos.

But surely you'd agree that with a team full of young guys it would be better to have stability and assurance.  I mean, on a veteran team who really cares?  They're professionals.  But I'd imagine it would be tough for all the youngsters...

...except Brendan Smith.  He'd salivate thinking of a team with no Babs, he'd never have to be bothered to play defense again.  (Sorry, had to).

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#63 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

But surely you'd agree that with a team full of young guys it would be better to have stability and assurance.  I mean, on a veteran team who really cares?  They're professionals.  But I'd imagine it would be tough for all the youngsters...

...except Brendan Smith.  He'd salivate thinking of a team with no Babs, he'd never have to be bothered to play defense again.  (Sorry, had to).

I doubt it. It's a business and they should be mature enough to deal with someone leaving especially a coach.

#64 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

I doubt it. It's a business and they should be mature enough to deal with someone leaving especially a coach.

Well I wasn't suggesting that they were going to break down and sob.  I was, however, suggesting that their inexperience and relative lack of "professionalism" might mean they'd be more easily distracted by protracted management instability.  But you "doubt it".  So that's that.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#65 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:55 AM

He wants to go to a team that actually has some talent in their prime. He wants to go to a team that, coached right, could actually go far. Can you blame him? Obviously sick of the gross mismanagement by Holland. It's sad that our top two players next year will be 36 and 35 respectively. 

But don't worry guys, I'm sure Franzen will totally bounce back. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#66 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:30 AM

Yes, Holland is incompetent.  Total nincompoop.  He's so bad, he took over as GM, won a Cup after losing one of the most important pieces of his team to a limo accident, oversaw the transition from one core of players to another, won another Cup, and is currently overseeing another core change all without missing the playoffs or having a bunch o top 10 picks.  Total idiot.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#67 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

This speculation is yesterday's news. Like dating back to last week even. Just because Regner's trolling his own readership this is now thread worthy?

Edit:

I'm posting this article written by a loser at the Toronto star and published on Tuesday, May 6th

http://www.thestar.c...ck_feschuk.html

For the unindustrious, it basically speculates that the Leafs should go after Babcock because he only has a year left in Detroit and assumes that Babcock wants to move on, even going as far as to imply he has no say in what goes on in Detroit. Just pulp sensationalism really.

Of course all this was followed quickly by a two year Carlyle extension.

THIS is the currency of pot-stirring speculative journalism.

Regner now has all the credibilty of a writer for the Toronto Star. Way to go Art!!!!!!

Typical Toronto to think everyone wants to be a Maple Leaf. The reality is, no one wants to play in Toronto. I've met Wojtek Wolski's Dad. A friend of mine told him he should tell his son to sign with the Maple Leafs. His Dad said, "No one wants to play in Toronto"

He wants to go to a team that actually has some talent in their prime. He wants to go to a team that, coached right, could actually go far. Can you blame him? Obviously sick of the gross mismanagement by Holland. It's sad that our top two players next year will be 36 and 35 respectively. 

But don't worry guys, I'm sure Franzen will totally bounce back. 

I guess you haven't heard of Nyquist and Tatar?

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#68 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

It'd never happen, but it'd be REALLY nice if Kenny took a hike and Babs became GM and we had Blashill coach. I'd be so happy!

#69 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

Well I wasn't suggesting that they were going to break down and sob.  I was, however, suggesting that their inexperience and relative lack of "professionalism" might mean they'd be more easily distracted by protracted management instability.  But you "doubt it".  So that's that.

All speculation. Lots of veterans in the locker room will make sure things don't get out of hand.

#70 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

Typical Toronto to think everyone wants to be a Maple Leaf. The reality is, no one wants to play in Toronto. I've met Wojtek Wolski's Dad. A friend of mine told him he should tell his son to sign with the Maple Leafs. His Dad said, "No one wants to play in Toronto"

I guess you haven't heard of Nyquist and Tatar?

Think so. Aren't they those guys who didn't get a single point in the playoffs, despite it being their second run?

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#71 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

Blashill has won one Calder Cup and now everyone wants him to replace Babcock?  Yeah, what's Mikey won lately?  Some of this speculation is so ridiculous, its hard to comprehend.

#72 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

I remember Quenneville having issues in the playoffs year after year, then he landed in Chicago, then Bowman was added into the fold... 2 cups later

Chicago has a lot of talent....

Babs has done the best he could with what was given him, more or less...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#73 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

It'd never happen, but it'd be REALLY nice if Kenny took a hike and Babs became GM and we had Blashill coach. I'd be so happy!

Good coach does not generally mean good GM.  They are completely different skill sets.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#74 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

Not that I want Babs to leave at all, but I do think this will be his last season. Ten years is an eternity with one organization in today's world and Babs has always talked about how the message gets stale after awhile.

If Babs is done, I want Blashill to take over. Groomed in Grand Rapids and most of those players will be with the Red Wings already or close to making it. Clearly is effective at player development with the success Grand Rapids has put together the past two seasons.

If the Wings could get Tippett out of Phoenix, that would be the only external choice I would prefer over Blashill. He coaches every team up and would have far more to work with in Detroit than that terrible situation in Phoenix.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#75 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

Of course it's speculation, 90% of the posts on this forum are.  What gave it away?  The part where I said it "might" be a distraction.  Glad you got to the bottom of that one Columbo. 

Babs, at one point or another, was given Yzerman, Shanahan, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Schneider, Lang, Franzen, Stuart, Hossa, Alfredsson, Legwand, and Nyquist. 

He wasn't exactly coaching a bunch of fourth liners.

You can't put all those names together to make it sound like he coached them all at the same time. Ya he had some good teams but he didn't have the 01/02 wings that bowman had, and some of those guys were far past their prime when he got them.

#76 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

You can't put all those names together to make it sound like he coached them all at the same time. Ya he had some good teams but he didn't have the 01/02 wings that bowman had, and some of those guys were far past their prime when he got them.

The comparison wasn't with the 02 Wings or to Bowman.  The original comparison was with Quenneville's teams, and Babs has had teams just as good as Quenneville has had.  Also, only Yzerman and Alfie were really past their primes out of the guys on that list. 

Edited by kipwinger, 17 May 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#77 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

The comparison wasn't with the 02 Wings or to Bowman.  The the original comparison was with Quenneville's teams, and Babs has had teams just as good as Quenneville has had.  Also, only Yzerman and Alfie were really past their primes out of the guys on that list. 

Doesn't matter he didn't have all those guys on one team was my point. And none of those guys were top 5 picks in their prime like Pittsburgh has. Babs won us a cup, our team hasn't been as skilled since our last cup, so we haven't had a stacked team in 5 years.

#78 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:35 PM

Doesn't matter he didn't have all those guys on one team was my point. And none of those guys were top 5 picks in their prime like Pittsburgh has. Babs won us a cup, our team hasn't been as skilled since our last cup, so we haven't had a stacked team in 5 years.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.  I was responding to the post below.  Nothing in it referenced draft position at all.  It does, however, heavily insinuate that Quenneville wins because he's got a loaded team, and poor old Babcock has to make due with what he has.  But that blatantly disregards the fact that Babs has had awesome teams full of Hall of Famers, and future Hall of Famers.  In 2005 he had FOUR 80+ point players (something Quenneville has never had) and EIGHT 20+ goal scorers and lost in the first round to Edmonton. 

Babcock is a good coach, but it's demonstrably false to act like he's only won one Cup because the rest of the time his teams were bad or because he wasn't getting top flight players.  He was. 

I remember Quenneville having issues in the playoffs year after year, then he landed in Chicago, then Bowman was added into the fold... 2 cups later

Chicago has a lot of talent....

Babs has done the best he could with what was given him, more or less...

Edited by kipwinger, 17 May 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#79 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

Of course it's speculation, 90% of the posts on this forum are.  What gave it away?  The part where I said it "might" be a distraction.  Glad you got to the bottom of that one Columbo. 

Babs, at one point or another, was given Yzerman, Shanahan, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Schneider, Lang, Franzen, Stuart, Hossa, Alfredsson, Legwand, and Nyquist. 

He wasn't exactly coaching a bunch of fourth liners.

Edit:  Forgot Osgood, Hasek, and Chelios as well.

It has been 5 yrs since he has had most of those players. Talking about present; the last few seasons and the steady decline
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#80 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

It has been 5 yrs since he has had most of those players. Talking about present; the last few seasons and the steady decline

Five years ago Babcock lost in the Cup finals with a team full of stars (and superstars).  I'll concede that the last FOUR years we haven't had the personnel we had in the past.  But that's all.