• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#161 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

Personally I believe Babcock is the type of guy who badly wants to win every year and he absolutely hates the stand still. Even after the back to back losses against the Sharks or against the predators he pointed out the record and said :"we are not going in the right direction here "and this was a few years ago - seems like forever - when the wings still had Lidstrom plus a fairly young Z... Babs saw the decline coming hence why he was so pissed that the wings missed out on Burns. If Mario offers him equal money - which the pens for sure will - he gets to coach two superstars in their prime, a guaranteed playoff berth every year and the chance to compete for Lord Stanley.. This opportunity doesn't come very often and I wouldn't hold it against him if he grabs it.

Another example are the Blues if Hitchcock doesn't get the job done this season he will be sacked and Babcock could coach one of the toughest teams in the league with superstars like Backes, Pietrangelo (23 years!) , Statsny some of them not even in their prime. It might be a tough pull to swallow as a wings fan but teams like the mentioned ones are offering a much better mid term perspective.

At some point Babcock will be fed up with getting no help while teams like the Bolts and Stars are making things happen. Teams would probably start a bidding war for his services and let's be honest some top teams have more to offer in terms of superstar quality and ufa attraction. Whatever he decides to do he is the best coach in ice hockey and had nothing left to prove.

Edited by frankgrimes, 17 September 2014 - 11:37 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#162 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:41 PM

If we are a playoff caliber team, Babcock should be able to elevate us to being a Stanley Cup contender - top coach plus playoff-caliber team should at least be in that discussion, right? If Babcock can only squeak us into the playoffs, the roster isn't playoff caliber. A playoff caliber team, in my mind, controls their own destiny and doesn't need a couple 'breaks' or puck bounces to eek into the 6-7-8 spot. Depending on which season preview you read, we're not even picked to finish that well...

I can't imagine an NHL coach under contract saying much different than what Babs does? I mean, he can't really tell the media that his job stinks and expect to keep it for very long (ask Torts). And I won't argue over the 'value' of juniors, but 'just fine' isn't how I'd look at Babs junior coaching career there. He did finish 1st a couple of times with Spokane, but never won an WHL championship or a Memorial Cup and while a couple kids may have gotten drafted, he didn't develop anyone into an NHLer (maybe you could credit him with Ryan Smythe from his days in Moose Jaw?). He can 'say' he likes working with the kids, but his performance says he's better and more comfortable working with veterans.

Your coaching staff is a part of your "team". When I say we are a playoff caliber "team", I am referring to players and coaches. The topic wasn't if we were a playoff caliber roster.

If the conversation is are we a playoff contending roster, I still say yes IF we are healthy. Also, people forget how much parity there is in the NHL 2014, look at Colorado, they went from 15th seed to 2nd seed in one year without really many roster changes. Having a bunch of young kids all start to gel and play at the next level at the same time can change everything. I have faith in our kids, its too bad so many fans do not. But hey.....hopefully they prove people wrong, actions speak louder then words.

#163 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:36 AM

Babcock is smart, not dumb. As a smart man he knows what he's going to get from the Wings/Holland. That's a playoff chance each and every year. Some better than others. He likes his manager and the system that caters to him. By leaving he runs a huge risk. He walks into a system that may be hot now, but might not be hot tmrw or in 3 years. He might have to deal with big headed players he doesn't like. Big headed managers he doesn't like. Other problems unbeknownst to him.

The Wings offer a very stable system, where he knows he's gonna good young talent every year, even if the trade pipelines don't workout.

Doubt he leaves. That's a coaching paradise. Crosby may be good, But he has only one cup bc there has been a disaster of problems around him. If I'm babcock I don't want to handcuff myself to that system. I also want my legacy to be reconized because I was awesome. Not because Crosby and Malkin were, aka GlenSather

I get what you're saying. I don't entirely disagree, but I think you could say a bit or more of what you're saying about the Wings when Babcock joined us. We were a strong team, a legitimate contender, but we had our fair share of minor issues to resolve before we were ready to win the Cup a few years later. And we were hot for awhile, and I don't think it's reasonable to suggest we're so hot now. We're not terrible, we've kept making the playoffs, but two years in a row, it was hardly a given, and it's not going to get easier as Dats and Z age. I like our kids, but unless Mantha really lives up to the hype, we don't have anyone in the pipeline that is going to be able to fill those holes, and we've seen how well Holland does filling holes in free agency. It is very, very hard to fill those big holes, now more than ever, and it's likely only to happen through the draft, and for that to happen for us, we're going to have to be a whole lot more "not hot" first... 

And if Babcock went anywhere, he'd be going to a team with a system that would immediately begin to cater to him. Why else do you go after the top coach in the league, especially one like Babcock? Everyone knows the guy has his system and his ways. I don't think there's a chance he moves unless he has a lot of sway in how the team is run, and I think anyone who'd seriously pursue him and stand a chance of getting him knows this, is fine with it, and in fact very much wants it. Again, why else do you pursue a coach like Babcock?

Generally though, I do think he likes it here, and I think he'd likely prefer to stay here. I want to think that at least. And I honestly do think he'll stick it out past this contract at least for another year or two. But if he leaves, there's enough reasons and enough oddities that I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd still be incredibly disappointed.

Your coaching staff is a part of your "team". When I say we are a playoff caliber "team", I am referring to players and coaches. The topic wasn't if we were a playoff caliber roster.

If the conversation is are we a playoff contending roster, I still say yes IF we are healthy. Also, people forget how much parity there is in the NHL 2014, look at Colorado, they went from 15th seed to 2nd seed in one year without really many roster changes. Having a bunch of young kids all start to gel and play at the next level at the same time can change everything. I have faith in our kids, its too bad so many fans do not. But hey.....hopefully they prove people wrong, actions speak louder then words.

I have faith that half of them will be NHLers still in a couple of years. That faith isn't based on pessimism, just basic logic. How many players just on this team have we seen have promising starts only to sputter and disappear? It's the nature of the game. I certainly am hoping for the best and clearly we have a lot of promising players, but just as teams and players can rise up and go from bad to great almost overnight, the opposite happens as well, and unfortunately, it has a tendency of being a more normal occurrence. 

-Elliot

#164 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:58 PM

I personally think this is babcocks last year in detroit ... I'd be shocked to see him back

#165 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:56 AM

I personally think this is babcocks last year in detroit ... I'd be shocked to see him back

Same here I've just listened to Blashill and it's unreal the guy sounds 100 % like Babcock, even his phrasing is the same amazing.

kftx.jpg

#166 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:28 AM

Here is an article about the situation:

http://www.clickonde...e-here/28140818

Quote from Babcock

"I think they want me to be here. I want to be here. We'll find a way to work something out," said Babcock. "Right now, you might find this hard to believe, we have other things to worry about besides Mike Babcock."

The guy wants to be here, if he didn't he would simply say he doesn't want to discuss the situation.

#167 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:16 AM

Quote from Babcock

"I think they want me to be here. I want to be here. We'll find a way to work something out," said Babcock. "Right now, you might find this hard to believe, we have other things to worry about besides Mike Babcock."

The guy wants to be here, if he didn't he would simply say he doesn't want to discuss the situation.

NO. He's leaving. We suck and he's leaving.

#168 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:24 AM

Datsyuk already went back to Russia early now Babcock wants out too

#169 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:39 AM

I think this year and how successful we are, season wise and in the playoffs, will determine what Babs will do

Mantha injury really doesn't help matters as I think Babs was hoping to roll out more complete lines
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#170 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,174 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

I think this year and how successful we are, season wise and in the playoffs, will determine what Babs will do

Mantha injury really doesn't help matters as I think Babs was hoping to roll out more complete lines

The injury is 6-8 weeks. Its not like he'll be out all season. He may miss the first two weeks of the regular season and then start in grand rapids, if he is dominating he'll get a trial run in the nhl.

#171 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:13 AM

I'm already sooooooo sick of this story.  Until he signs a contract this is going to be one long, speculative, pain in the ass.  Not because of Holland.  Not because of Babcock.  Because of media goobers who see the value of rabble rousing. 

Prepare yourselves LGW, this will get worse before it gets better.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#172 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:00 AM

I'm already sooooooo sick of this story.  Until he signs a contract this is going to be one long, speculative, pain in the ass.  Not because of Holland.  Not because of Babcock.  Because of media goobers who see the value of rabble rousing. 

Prepare yourselves LGW, this will get worse before it gets better.

This story will be over come october, Babs already said he will not be talking about it by then and just go to the next question. I'm very sure Holland will do the exact same thing.

kftx.jpg

#173 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

This story will be over come october, Babs already said he will not be talking about it by then and just go to the next question. I'm very sure Holland will do the exact same thing.

Which will only lead to more media speculation, since nothing was finalized.  Which was my point. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#174 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:16 PM

Quote from Babcock

Babcock to Toronto. (e5).

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#175 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,174 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

Datsyuk already went back to Russia early now Babcock wants out too

I heard a rumour that babcock was planning to go to russia after his contract was done so he could coach datsyuk and kovalchuck on the same team... he said ебать Детройт сук... which is something bad in russian

#176 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

I heard a rumour that babcock was planning to go to russia after his contract was done so he could coach datsyuk and kovalchuck on the same team... he said ебать Детройт сук... which is something bad in russian

I keep hoping that'll still happen but you know here...in Detroit. If kovalchuk comes back he would be a FA right? Or would he be forced to go to New Jersey?

#177 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:18 PM

I keep hoping that'll still happen but you know here...in Detroit. If kovalchuk comes back he would be a FA right? Or would he be forced to go to New Jersey?

New Jersey released him unconditionally so he would be a FA.