• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Smite

TSN POY: Hertl vs Gustav Nyquist

Rate this topic

We did it last year to get Datsyuk the win.

We should be doing it again...I can't remember who wrote the script though.

It wouldn't be as exciting but it should just be one vote per account per matchup. Then people who have to at least go through the trouble of making multiple accounts and keep the competition somewhat fair.

Anyone else think it's ridiculous that these two goals are going at it at the very start of the bracket? Put them on opposite ends and there's a real possibility they end up in the final, maybe with Hemsky's goal the only other challenger.

Nyquist's is way better though. Nathan Gerbe did the same thing as Hertl did on a better goalie in a game that wasn't 7-2.

The Hertl goal is impressive, but not as impressive as people seem to think. 97% of the forwards in the league could pull it off (even goons are way more skilled than they're perceived to be), just as 97% of the goalies in the league could hit an empty net at the opposite of the rink. If you had everyone trying "the Hertl," you'd have at least one on NHL Tonight's nightly highlight reel for a couple months straight, and then goalies would catch on and it'd die out and no one would really miss it, cuz it's an unoriginal shootout move (lest we forget, Hertl wasn't the first to do it). If you had every goalie trying "the Brodeur," you'd have at least one on NHL Tonight's nightly highlight reel for a couple months straight, and then the novelty would wear off.

Nyquist's goal is something else. How many times have we seen "the Nyquist" before? How many times will we see it again? Sure, it's largely luck, but 1) he earns that luck, and 2) so what? (There's a little bit of "luck" in every goal.) For me, it's just a classic hockey play. Not a nifty little shootout move that, with enough practice, anyone could pull off. Determination, sheer force of will, and then a one-in-a-hundred oh-why-not swing for the fences, since he's battled so hard for it anyway (and that's a hell of a battle, btw) - and he connects, and he knocks it out of the park. And that goalie he beats? One of the best in the league this season. (As we now know, he was the Lightning's season. They're not the same team without him. Just saying.)

The other thing about the Hertl goal - the game was already decided. I think it's much easier to pull that off when the opposing team has laid down and died. It's "Good for you, have a cookie" territory. It's awesome that it was his fourth or fifth of the night, but, well, sorta case in point.

what is maclennen talking about? that move is innovative? That move had been washed up 4 years ago. It was a clear breakaway goal on a terrible goalie in a blowout game

Great goals are against great players and where the player makes quick instinct moves. not something every player has been practicing since peewee

The one where datsyuk did the same thing was far more impressive even though he didn't score. It was against the coyotes in the playoffs and datsyuk was flying full speed with a couple guys hanging off him and he was able to do the between the legs move because that was the only play that would allow him to get a shot off. it was saved but somebody potted the rebound

We did it last year to get Datsyuk the win.

We should be doing it again...I can't remember who wrote the script though.

I'm fairly certain I wrote that script (my brother helped as well). Although, in the end the best way to vote didn't require a script, just some inside knowledge. No way we were going to let Dats lose to Jake Effin Allen.

Edited by rrasco

Who's this Goostof Newquist cat? He's pretty good.

Awesome, that's almost as bad as when Mickey tries to say T.J. Galiardi's last name. "That's a real nice hit by Googlimoogli, who's always a ball of energy playing for his hometown Calgary Flames".

Tatar's turn vs Spezza

http://poy.tsn.ca/1-nhl2014/match/20-spezza-vs-tatar

Man the TSN commentators do not like the Wings or something. I know I am biased but Spezza goes around one defense, Tatar goes through 3. Easy call for me

That's a bit biased. Tatar only really 'goes through' 1, who proceeds to take out another. I think this is a close call, Spezza's is smooth as heck. Tatar has a big lead early but I wouldn't be surprised to see that disappear.