• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sleepwalker

Wings have the #1 & #2 most overpaid players (per point) in the NH

Rate this topic

Was flipping through the latest THN, and they had the list of the top 5 most overpaid players per point.

#1 Stephen Weiss - 4.9 mil cap hit, 4pts

= $1.23 mil per point

#2 Mikael Samuelsson - 3 mil cap hit, 3pts

= $1 mil per point

And in case you were wondering about the rest:

#3 Jim Slater, 2pts, $800,000 per point

#4 Jared Boll, 2pts, $525,00 per point

#5 David Clarkson, 11pts, $477,273 per point

It's an unfair assessment of Weiss who played injured for all his games as a Red Wing and was injured the rest of the season. I consider the fact that this was published a bit ridiculous. Clarkson was healthy for the games he wasn't suspended and put up 11 points. If Weiss played the same amount of games while injured he still would have put up more points going by averages. Considering how many people wanted Clarkson to sign here last offseason, he is by far the most over payed for his overall production.

Not going by averages and just saying "minimum 25 games played", you can sit here and say Franzen had a much better season than Datsyuk because he scored 4 more points than him last season, but not take into account total games played. It makes it look much worse when put into this perspective.

Let's see some healthy games for more than one quarter of an injured season out of Weiss before declaring him the worst contract in the NHL.

Ya but Weiss was injured all year, even while he was playing. Sammy was just a terrible contract from the beginning, everyone but Holland knew that

I gave the shin pad assassin the benefit of the doubt when holland first signed him. A little pricey but had chemistry with the wings in the past. Then he was injured all season. Ok, could return to form yet, has playing experience with Weiss. Then he pooped the bed this season, so I'll eat the crow on that one. Terrible signing.

Im a huge Whalers fan and always loved Weiss. I'm praying he doesn't turn out exactly like Sammy right now.

So, basically if you dont produce points you are overpaid? Pretty lame if you ask me. Orr is not signed to produce points. By the same standard someone like Glendening would also be overpaid had he made more than a million a year. I would expect more in depth analysis from THN in an article on this topic.

So, basically if you dont produce points you are overpaid? Pretty lame if you ask me. Orr is not signed to produce points. By the same standard someone like Glendening would also be overpaid had he made more than a million a year. I would expect more in depth analysis from THN in an article on this topic.

That would be expecting a miracle. They pop out a top list every two minutes of something or other. None are really thought out, you would think espn made the articles

Orr does suck at hockey, though. It's been scientifically proven.

I gave the shin pad assassin the benefit of the doubt when holland first signed him. A little pricey but had chemistry with the wings in the past. Then he was injured all season. Ok, could return to form yet, has playing experience with Weiss. Then he pooped the bed this season, so I'll eat the crow on that one. Terrible signing.

I could have forgiven the Sammy contract if it was just for 1 year. A cheapish veteran stopgap. But 2 years was just brutal.

Same with Bert.

The Sammy contract will go down as one of the biggest KH blunders ever. There was no excuse for it, and this board saw it the moment it happened.

Weiss? I still blame the training and conditioning staff...and it seems like there might have been a scouting mistake as well. Even when healthy, he didn't fit on this particular team.

Not true. He's really good at "an integral part of the game", as fight fans will tell you ad nauseam.

I'm a fan of enforcers and even I'll say it, he sucks at hockey. We've had plenty of our own enforcers over the years, bit they could also chip in offensively from time to time.

I could have forgiven the Sammy contract if it was just for 1 year. A cheapish veteran stopgap. But 2 years was just brutal.

Same with Bert.

2 years, with a pay raise and a NTC.

brutal, brutal, brutal.

Also, Tootoo likely would've made the top ten. $1.9 million for 1 point.

Same with Bert.

2 years, with a pay raise and a NTC.

brutal, brutal, brutal.

Also, Tootoo likely would've made the top ten. $1.9 million for 1 point.

Krupp was worse, but the fact that those are his worst mistakes in that many years speaks to how good he is.

I really think all the anit Weiss talk is a little premature. I get a lot of WIngs fans were not too thrilled with the signing to begin with. But let this guy get healthy and give him an honest chance. This signing can go both ways if you ask me. This isn't like the Franzen deal where we have had a few years to digest and make a choice if we like him or not. I think Weiss can be a very good asset to this team but he has to be healthy and get an honest chance next season.

The thing is, his mistakes are starting to pile up in recent years.

Bertuzzi

Cleary

Cleary over Nyquist

Colaiacovo

Ericsson's six-year extension

Franzen's lifetime contract

Howard's six-year extension

Legwand

Quincey

Samuelsson

Tootoo

Weiss (?)

It certainly hasn't been all bad, and I do think we're still lucky to have him at the helm. But he's been slipping.