• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

Was flipping through the latest THN, and they had the list of the top 5 most overpaid players per point.

#1 Stephen Weiss - 4.9 mil cap hit, 4pts

= $1.23 mil per point

#2 Mikael Samuelsson - 3 mil cap hit, 3pts

= $1 mil per point

And in case you were wondering about the rest:

#3 Jim Slater, 2pts, $800,000 per point

#4 Jared Boll, 2pts, $525,00 per point

#5 David Clarkson, 11pts, $477,273 per point

#2 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:59 PM

Does it factor in points per game played or just takes a salary number and figures their point total for a season they may or may not have played more than a few games in?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#3 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

Criteria they used was players who played at least 25 games this season, with a base salary of more than $1mil.

Otherwise Colton Orr would have won it at a $925,00 cap hit with a whopping zero points. 

#4 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

Ya but Weiss was injured all year, even while he was playing. Sammy was just a terrible contract from the beginning, everyone but Holland knew that
  • Nev likes this

#5 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

It's an unfair assessment of Weiss who played injured for all his games as a Red Wing and was injured the rest of the season. I consider the fact that this was published a bit ridiculous. Clarkson was healthy for the games he wasn't suspended and put up 11 points. If Weiss played the same amount of games while injured he still would have put up more points going by averages. Considering how many people wanted Clarkson to sign here last offseason, he is by far the most over payed for his overall production. 

Not going by averages and just saying "minimum 25 games played", you can sit here and say Franzen had a much better season than Datsyuk because he scored 4 more points than him last season, but not take into account total games played. It makes it look much worse when put into this perspective. 

Let's see some healthy games for more than one quarter of an injured season out of Weiss before declaring him the worst contract in the NHL. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#6 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

This is from the latest THN, "The List Issue", where its just a fun issue full of various "Top X whatever" lists.

Obviously Weiss was injured, and well, Sammy just sucks these days.

#7 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

Ya but Weiss was injured all year, even while he was playing. Sammy was just a terrible contract from the beginning, everyone but Holland knew that

I gave the shin pad assassin the benefit of the doubt when holland first signed him. A little pricey but had chemistry with the wings in the past. Then he was injured all season. Ok, could return to form yet, has playing experience with Weiss. Then he pooped the bed this season, so I'll eat the crow on that one. Terrible signing.

Im a huge Whalers fan and always loved Weiss. I'm praying he doesn't turn out exactly like Sammy right now.

#8 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:32 AM

So, basically if you dont produce points you are overpaid? Pretty lame if you ask me. Orr is not signed to produce points. By the same standard someone like Glendening would also be overpaid had he made more than a million a year. I would expect more in depth analysis from THN in an article on this topic.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#9 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:34 AM

So, basically if you dont produce points you are overpaid? Pretty lame if you ask me. Orr is not signed to produce points. By the same standard someone like Glendening would also be overpaid had he made more than a million a year. I would expect more in depth analysis from THN in an article on this topic.

That would be expecting a miracle. They pop out a top list every two minutes of something or other. None are really thought out, you would think espn made the articles

#10 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:43 AM

Well not much to add it is true, Weiss - despite the injury problems - has had what 3 goals for a 5 million capht, only Leino with zero goals could make a case to challenge him for the title. but the list itself is ok

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#11 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:13 AM

Sammy we knew from Day 1 was just a waste of 3 million. Weiss has been a mess, he's got some work ahead to redeem himself. Playing injured or not, next year there won't be any excuses. 

#12 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,199 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:31 AM

Orr does suck at hockey, though. It's been scientifically proven.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#13 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

I gave the shin pad assassin the benefit of the doubt when holland first signed him. A little pricey but had chemistry with the wings in the past. Then he was injured all season. Ok, could return to form yet, has playing experience with Weiss. Then he pooped the bed this season, so I'll eat the crow on that one. Terrible signing.

I could have forgiven the Sammy contract if it was just for 1 year.  A cheapish veteran stopgap.  But 2 years was just brutal.

Same with Bert.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#14 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

The Sammy contract will go down as one of the biggest KH blunders ever. There was no excuse for it, and this board saw it the moment it happened.

Weiss? I still blame the training and conditioning staff...and it seems like there might have been a scouting mistake as well. Even when healthy, he didn't fit on this particular team.

#15 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

Orr does suck at hockey, though. It's been scientifically proven.

Not true.  He's really good at "an integral part of the game", as fight fans will tell you ad nauseam.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#16 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

Not true.  He's really good at "an integral part of the game", as fight fans will tell you ad nauseam.

I'm a fan of enforcers and even I'll say it, he sucks at hockey. We've had plenty of our own enforcers over the years, bit they could also chip in offensively from time to time.

#17 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,298 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

I could have forgiven the Sammy contract if it was just for 1 year.  A cheapish veteran stopgap.  But 2 years was just brutal.

Same with Bert.

2 years, with a pay raise and a NTC. 

brutal, brutal, brutal. 

Also, Tootoo likely would've made the top ten.  $1.9 million for 1 point.

#18 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

Same with Bert.

2 years, with a pay raise and a NTC. 

brutal, brutal, brutal. 

Also, Tootoo likely would've made the top ten.  $1.9 million for 1 point.

Krupp was worse, but the fact that those are his worst mistakes in that many years speaks to how good he is.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#19 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

orr > samuelsson
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#20 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

I really think all the anit Weiss talk is a little premature. I get a lot of WIngs fans were not too thrilled with the signing to begin with. But let this guy get healthy and give him an honest chance. This signing can go both ways if you ask me. This isn't like the Franzen deal where we have had a few years to digest and make a choice if we like him or not. I think Weiss can be a very good asset to this team but he has to be healthy and get an honest chance next season.