• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Spezza?

Rate this topic

There is lots of smoke about Ott moving him. Thoughts?

1. Ott is cash strapped so i think he will get moved.

2. Spezza is 31 this summer, 6-3/220 RHed, C, great play maker, good scorer, and great at puck poss. He is not a banger. But he does use his size and strength to move through the D.

3. First glance, I thought no. But the more I think about it, he is the type of player I think Holland would go for. Fits our system well and brings more size and O to our team.

4. Think of a top 6 with Datsyuk, Z, Spezza, Nyquist, with Jurco, Mantha, Sheahan, and tatar fighting for spots. Not to mention Weiss and Franzen.

5. This is his last year-scheduled to be a UFA next summer. This will drive down the cost of trading for him. The rumor mongers are saying: NHL player, prospect and a 1st to get him.

6. Ott sucked on D last year. We have some pieces that we could move to make this happen. NHL player, 1 of: Tatar or Helm; Prospect: Ouellet or Mrazek; Draft pick: 2014 1st.

7. if we pick him up, then of course sign him to a 4 year extension. Takes him through the year he turns 36.

Ok flame away.......

I'm never a big fan of trading, but if the Wings make a trade this offseason , I want it to be for a top 3 defensman with an offensive upside. Spezza might be nice, though I personally wouldn't trade any assets for him this offseason.

Really? Shanahan, Hasek, Chelios, Maltby, Draper, Murphy, and a host of other greats were all picked up by trade at one point or another. Trading is as important, maybe more so than drafting. Trick of course is to never overpay and try to underpay.

Really? Shanahan, Hasek, Chelios, Maltby, Draper, Murphy, and a host of other greats were all picked up by trade at one point or another. Trading is as important, maybe more so than drafting. Trick of course is to never overpay and try to underpay.

I guess I should rephrase to: since the salary cap has been implemented, out of all the ways to acquire a player (free agency, draft, trading), trading (for me personally) is the least desirable. This is the only form of getting a player which requires a team to sacrifice assets. Although I do agree that sometimes I think its necessary.

Might as well sign Legwand without trading any assets. Spezza produces slightly more offense but the physical upgrade is not great.

Spezza produces about 25% more points per year on average than legwand. Younger as well.

I guess I should rephrase to: since the salary cap has been implemented, out of all the ways to acquire a player (free agency, draft, trading), trading (for me personally) is the least desirable. This is the only form of getting a player which requires a team to sacrifice assets. Although I do agree that sometimes I think its necessary.

UFA is what has become a joke. Everyone gets resigned before it starts, then there is one or two good players available. You have to draft and you have to trade to build a team.

I don't think people understand how much offense will be gained with a better D corps.

No we all understand that it will improve. But and this is key: there are no major upgrades even rumored to be available as of today-that will change of course, and 2. To get one of those type of Dmen we will have to pay twice the amount of a guy like Spezza. If Spezza can be had for say tatar, ouellet and a 1st, imagine what a guy like Carlson will cost: tatar, Nyquist, Ouellet, Mrazek and a 1st just to start.

No thanks, we don't need another center, we've got about 200 of them as it stands, and unlike Nyquist, Franzen, Abby, etc. etc., Spezza has never played on the wing as a professional. I'd rather not give Babs another guy to stick in an unnatural position on a line that doesn't matter.

I really like Spezza great player, great center put into an absolute horrible situation (taking over from the best player this franchise ever had) and dealing with an owner who doesn't want to spend in order to improve the team. Anyway, I really hope we are staying away from him the Wigns are more than a Spezza awayfrom competing for the cup and it would for sure cost one of Mantha, Nyquist, Tatar for a guy who will be UFA after this year.

Cowen on the other hand yes please :-)

I expect us to make a very strong push for him when he hits the market.

Also I don't see any team trading a defenseman who could fit into our top 4.

Broken record, but I just don't understand this mindset. There are players out there who would be upgrades over what we have (Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser, Smith) and who wouldn't cost the farm, and we're deep in attractive young assets and complementary pieces.

I really like Spezza great player, great center put into an absolute horrible situation (taking over from the best player this franchise ever had) and dealing with an owner who doesn't want to spend in order to improve the team. Anyway, I really hope we are staying away from him the Wigns are more than a Spezza awayfrom competing for the cup and it would for sure cost one of Mantha, Nyquist, Tatar for a guy who will be UFA after this year.

Cowen on the other hand yes please :-)

I'd trade for Cowen only to tie him to an exercise machine of some sort, and let Datsyuk elbow him in the chin until his eyelashes fell out.

No thanks, we don't need another center, we've got about 200 of them as it stands

Datsyuk (5'11, LH) will be gone soon. Ideally, Z (5'11, LH) plays wing, as it's easier on his body and allows him to be a bigger scoring threat. (Wing isn't an especially difficult position to play. If you're a top-end forward, you can play wing just fine. Case in point: Babs generally prefers to play young centers on the wing.) Weiss (5'11, LH) isn't quite on Spezza's level, and that's when he isn't a zombie. Helm (5'11, LH) is a third-liner with no hands. Sheahan may become a good 2C. We have no one on the farm.

So, while we don't need an elite center...

Datsyuk (5'11, LH) will be gone soon. Ideally, Z (5'11, LH) plays wing, as it's easier on his body and allows him to be a bigger scoring threat. (Wing isn't an especially difficult position to play. If you're a top-end forward, you can play wing just fine. Case in point: Babs generally prefers to play young centers on the wing.) Weiss (5'11, LH) isn't quite on Spezza's level, and that's when he isn't a zombie. Helm (5'11, LH) is a third-liner with no hands. Sheahan may become a good 2C. We have no one on the farm.

So, while we don't need an elite center...

I get it. I'd just rather spend the money/assets on a top line winger. I feel comfortable going into the season with Dats, Weiss, Sheahan, Helm, and Glendening. Bringing on another center just bumps everyone down a notch and moves one of Helm or Sheahan onto a wing...when we could/should have just acquired a wing to begin with.

We would be fools to trade for anything other than a defenseman. IMO we're only 2 good defenseman away from going from a playoff contender, to a Stanley Cup contender. I like Spezza, but we have more than enough capable forwards. Our biggest weakness by far is our defense (or lack thereof).

Spezza produces about 25% more points per year on average than legwand. Younger as well.

Yes, no doubt Spezza would be an upgrade but we are talking about maybe 15-20 points and 3 years younger for a guy that can only be aquired through trade. Had Spezza been known to crash the net and make more use of his size, then I wouldnt hesitate one bit, but if you are looking for production Legwand offers very similar qualities for a fraction of the price imo.

For those in favor of trading for Spezza, can I ask why you'd rather have him than Kesler? I'll give you a quick rundown of why Kesler makes WAY more sense than Spezza.

1. He plays the wing as well as he plays center

2. He's faster and more physical.

3. He's demanded a trade, so chances are MUCH higher that he moves. Spezza is purely speculation.

4. He's cheaper.

5. He's already said he'd wave his NTC to come here.

6. It would take fewer assets to get him because he's demanding a trade.

7. He's under contract longer than Spezza.

8. He's better defensively.

9. He's younger.

I wanted to come up with another reason to make it an even ten, but I couldn't. Still, it makes WAY more sense to go after Kesler IF you're going to trade for a forward. But if you do that you HAVE to sign your top four defenseman or promote from within. Can't trade for both a top four dman and top six forward...even with our deep talent pool that's too big of a blow. One or the other but not both.

Edit: Ha ha! Reason 10.) Ottawa likely doesn't want to deal a star player to a division rival. Kesler would be moving from one conference to another.

Edited by kipwinger

Yes, no doubt Spezza would be an upgrade but we are talking about maybe 15-20 points and 3 years younger for a guy that can only be aquired through trade. Had Spezza been known to crash the net and make more use of his size, then I wouldnt hesitate one bit, but if you are looking for production Legwand offers very similar qualities for a fraction of the price imo.

Not even close. Legwand for his career is a .59 points per game guys and makes 5 million. Spezza is a 1 point per game guy and makes 7 million. 41% more points per game/season. He is a primer offensive guy. Solid defender as well. Legwand isn't that good on O.

For those in favor of trading for Spezza, can I ask why you'd rather have him than Kesler? I'll give you a quick rundown of why Kesler makes WAY more sense than Spezza.

1. He plays the wing as well as he plays center

2. He's faster and more physical.

3. He's demanded a trade, so chances are MUCH higher that he moves. Spezza is purely speculation.

4. He's cheaper.

5. He's already said he'd wave his NTC to come here.

6. It would take fewer assets to get him because he's demanding a trade.

7. He's under contract longer than Spezza.

8. He's better defensively.

9. He's younger.

I wanted to come up with another reason to make it an even ten, but I couldn't. Still, it makes WAY more sense to go after Kesler IF you're going to trade for a forward. But if you do that you HAVE to sign your top four defenseman or promote from within. Can't trade for both a top four dman and top six forward...even with our deep talent pool that's too big of a blow. One or the other but not both.

This is the first I'm hearing this. Where did you hear about #5 on your list?

This is the first I'm hearing this. Where did you hear about #5 on your list?

At the trade deadline there was much talk of it. Supposedly he had a list of places he'd accept a trade to, and Detroit was on that list, with Pittsburgh and Anahiem purportedly offering the best packages.

Here's at least one reputable source, but there were others at the time...http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/03/30-thoughts-canucks-brass-must-resist-panic.html?

Edit: And another: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=445193

Edited by kipwinger