• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

Shero & Bylsma Fired

Rate this topic

While I would think that hilarious to see Shero and Bylsma out the door, I'm secretly wishing they stay. It's become blatantly obvious that they won't win with those two at the helm, so why shouldn't we hope they keep their jobs?

I swear to holy hell, I was just thinking this exact thing.

The weird thing is that their biggest shortcoming - drafting/development/depth - was a major strength of theirs back when they were legitimately contending for the Cup (e.g. Staal centering the third line). I don't know why Shero allowed himself to get away from that.

As for Bylsma, I really like him as a person. (Not that I've met him, of course.) But you do have to wonder if his meteoric rise wasn't largely just a matter of those teams being really deep and the young core guys being over-the-moon for this hip, young, upstart coach who was pretty much the total opposite of Michele Therrien.

My gut says Barry Trotz gets the gig. Maybe.

I think Jacques Martin would make sense, though.

I just pray it's not Blashill.

Bylsma can't adjust his strategy it's obvious happened with the Penguins and team USA before

Sheri traded away a lot of the Pens future and if the rumors are true Crosby is fed up with Bylsma do that screams firing. I am sure the Capitals and Canucks would be all over him

Trotz would be a good choice for the Pens but they also need s team commitment to defense

Edited by frankgrimes

yeah I suck, I'll be out of here real soon. Last midnight might have been the last feeding I gave Cindy :-) Listening to a Pittsburgh sports talk show as I write this, three guesses who they are talking about as a replacement for me ? Last name begins with B and ends with K

yeah I suck, I'll be out of here real soon. Last midnight might have been the last feeding I gave Cindy :-) Listening to a Pittsburgh sports talk show as I write this, three guesses who they are talking about as a replacement for me ? Last name begins with B and ends with K

Belichick?

Is it just me or would I be more than willing to take Bylsma as an assistant, that guy would work wonders with the PP, familiar with Babcock...

As for the USA thing, he didn't win gold but come on they faced Canada in the semi's and lost 1-0, that game could have gone either way... also the Finland game, sure it's always embarrassing not to medal but when you come to a tournament avenging a silver and then realize the best you can win is bronze, it's tough for anyone to be motivated

Shero on the other hand should definitely go

Wasn't Shero just last year being touted as one of the best if not the best gm?

Just like Holland is touted as one of the best if not the best gm. Some people will beg to differ here on this forum.

As for Bylsma, I don't believe he should be fired unless they have someone better to replace him with. Who are you going to bring in? Barry Trotz? I don't think Barry is an upgrade over Bylsma.

I also think the Pens need some minor changes as well. James Neal was ineffective in the playoffs for instance.

Not by me. Their philosophy of trade all your prospects and picks to win a cup now hasn't worked for them and I never believed that it would

I still consider him one of the best but he really traded away a ton of their future last year, Morrow for Morrow was bad back then and it still is but the guy got Iginla for basically nothing it is not Shero's fault that Bylsma absolutely used him on the wrong side. I think they are giving him another year if Shero fails again, he will be gone next year.

Trotz is exactly what Pittsburgh needs and the guy commands respect from everyone, he is a no bs type of guy.

The Pens are a victim of having too much money invested in too few players, and being Captained by a nut punching d-bag. That's not on Bylsma. I doubt he'd take an assistant job though. I expect him to take a year off then have his pick of jobs.

Yeah I didn't mean I agreed with it. I just found it funny that he was so hyped up last year by some of the media and suddenly we're talking about him being fired.

I knew what you meant. The media eats up anything Crosby and they love it

Would Trotz even know what to do with Crosby and Malkin? Wonder what their game would look like under his system

Considering Fleury's shortcomings (although he looked decent this year), it might do the team some good to have a strong defense-oriented system in place.

Considering Fleury's shortcomings (although he looked decent this year), it might do the team some good to have a strong defense-oriented system in place.

Trotz would be a good thing for their team in regards of defense, as for offense, think Geno and Cid wouldn't know how handle the transition

Trotz would be a good thing for their team in regards of defense, as for offense, think Geno and Cid wouldn't know how handle the transition

My guess is Trotz has no issue with offense and simply felt that if the Preds were going to become a winning team with the forwards Poile was giving him, they had to be all about defense.

I think Shero needs to go, but I'm suprised Pens fans want him gone too. He's made some good moves like trading for Neal and signing Vokoun, but he's made just as many bad moves trading Joe Morrow for a rental, signing Letang to a big deal when you already have very little cap space, not acquiring a veteran back up for Fleury (for this year) after he fell apart in numerous playoffs already. Re-signing Scuderi, trading away Michalek, one of the few defensive d-men on the team. Pens fans get so excited when he signs or re-signs someone to a big contract or makes a big trade and rave about how he's "all in" and he's a "gamblin man!" and now that its all backfired on him, they want his head. Its like when the home crowd urges their team to go for it on 4th and 1 and then when it doesn't work says, "well that was stupid! what were you thinking?!"

Trotz is a great coach and has a history with Shero, so maybe Shero stays as a way to lure him to Pittsburgh, but I don't think things will get better for them this way. Trotz did well in Nashville because he essentially had a bunch of nobodies that listened to everything he said and played his system to a tee. The Penguins are the opposite of that. A new coach won't improve their salary cap situation nor will it prevent Shero from taking risky moves.

NHL Radio yesterday had a local Pittsburgh Post Gazette hockey writer on the show to debrief after being eliminated. Can't recall his name. Anyway, he said that Mario and the ownership are in "love" with Babcock, and if they did get rid of Bylsma, ownership would 100% no doubt want to talk to Babs about the position. A few other tidbits...this writer claimed that Babs not signing a long term deal with us was a sign to Mario that they could potentially lure him away from Detroit. Writer said if this did happen, he wouldn't be surprised if Babs was given some GM type power over the teams construction/personnel decisions as well. Lastly, the writer said that he thought....(wait for it, wait for it).... Babs would "salivate" at the opportunity to coach Crosby and Malkin. This last tidbit made me laugh as the writer obviously has drank a swimming pool of the Crosby is God cool-aid. It came off as pretty arrogant.

When you lose three game 7's at home in the last 5 years, you should be fired. Blowing two 3-1 series leads in that time doesn't help.

What I find funny is the rumors I heard on NHLN yesterday that ownership feels like the primes of their two best players are being wasted and that the team is too soft and lets other teams get away with too much. I instantly thought of our team, and wished we had the Pens supporting players and toughness. :lol:

To each his own, I guess.

NHL Radio yesterday had a local Pittsburgh Post Gazette hockey writer on the show to debrief after being eliminated. Can't recall his name. Anyway, he said that Mario and the ownership are in "love" with Babcock, and if they did get rid of Bylsma, ownership would 100% no doubt want to talk to Babs about the position. A few other tidbits...this writer claimed that Babs not signing a long term deal with us was a sign to Mario that they could potentially lure him away from Detroit. Writer said if this did happen, he wouldn't be surprised if Babs was given some GM type power over the teams construction/personnel decisions as well. Lastly, the writer said that he thought....(wait for it, wait for it).... Babs would "salivate" at the opportunity to coach Crosby and Malkin. This last tidbit made me laugh as the writer obviously has drank a swimming pool of the Crosby is God cool-aid. It came off as pretty arrogant.

I heard that rumor too. Babcock would be a good fit for the Pens and he needs a fresh start.

Don't know where the Wings would then look, with Laviolette already being hired elsewhere. Not too many proven winners around.