• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

Shero & Bylsma Fired

Rate this topic

You're over simplifying. Shero isn't the league's best GM, don't get me wrong. But for the last two years, Pittsburgh had defensive prospects as deep as we do now. He traded a few of them, for guys like Morrow and Iginla in an attempt to win the Cup. It didn't work, so everybody makes it seems like he gutted their team, but in reality he didn't. Ask yourself this, if Holland were trying to make a Cup run, and traded Quellet and Backman (in packages of course) for Iginla and Morrow, but managed to keep Sproul, Marchenko, and Jensen...how pissed would everyone be? Sure it's not the best move, but it's not the worst either. The rub, of course, depends on if you win the Cup or not.

The reality is, Shero kept Maata, Pouliot, Despres, and D'Agostino, so it's not like they're terribly hard up for defense prospects...even with the trades.

Serioulsy? People here would lose their minds.

See: Jarnkrok, Calle

Edited by rick zombo

Shero's downfall:

- Morrow for Morrow

- connecting his own future with Bylsma's i.e not firing him last year

- not able to find a Winger for sid the kid since forever

- gave up on all the toughness the Pens once had i.e sending BigMac down then on waivers so no protection for Sid and Malkin

- trading away the future for over the hill or injury prone players

- no buying out Fleury

All that aside I'm willing to bet the guy has already other VPs lining up to sign him.

Might they try to hire Babcock as GM? If they did, I assume he'd be interested in that job and the Wings would not hold him back as it would be considered a promotion.

I don't know the answer to that. But I do know that if Babcock leaves then about 2,000,000 people, from George Malik all the way down to members of this forum, are going to have to eat a lot of crow. People have invested so much into this "Babcock doesn't want to leave" business that it's become a part of their symbolic selves. If he left, they'd be forced to reconsider everything. Many would convert to Islam. Some would begin exercising more. Others would build large totems. Such would the loss of Babs undermine our psychic well being.

I don't know the answer to that. But I do know that if Babcock leaves then about 2,000,000 people, from George Malik all the way down to members of this forum, are going to have to eat a lot of crow. People have invested so much into this "Babcock doesn't want to leave" business that it's become a part of their symbolic selves. If he left, they'd be forced to reconsider everything. Many would convert to Islam. Some would begin exercising more. Others would build large totems. Such would the loss of Babs undermine our psychic well being.

Personally I don't think the team or Babcock have any interest in each other after this season. Its been a decade with him as the coach, its time for both sides to move on.

When Holland refused to let people interview Blashill it all but confirmed he's our next head coach. Maybe Babcock just wants to wait until his daughter has graduated before moving on to his next challenge and Holland is showing him the same loyalty he's showed everyone else in the organization.

Personally I don't think the team or Babcock have any interest in each other after this season. Its been a decade with him as the coach, its time for both sides to move on.

When Holland refused to let people interview Blashill it all but confirmed he's our next head coach. Maybe Babcock just wants to wait until his daughter has graduated before moving on to his next challenge and Holland is showing him the same loyalty he's showed everyone else in the organization.

Don't say that too loud, everyone will have a panic attack and then tell you how absurd and silly the notion is, right up until they hyperventilate and pass out.

Some forget that this was where we once were. Back in the early 90's we were one of the best regular season teams year after year. Yet we couldn't win the Cup. In comes Bowman, still didn't win it. Made a few moves, then we won. it took the correct balance of players, coaches, and management to win. Winning a cup is not something that is easy to do. But it is easier to fire a GM and coach than it is to fire 23 players.......

Here is a very interview with Lemieux and Burkle http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevic/2014/05/16/exclusive-interview-mario-lemieux-ron-burkle/

Well Lemieux the Penguins lacked grit because your GM send one of the absolute best guys down and then on waivers, nobody would be looking at Crosby or Malkin with MacIntyre in the lineup. Pittsburgh - like most teams - really needs some a big bodied powerforward someone to create room for their stars and can drop the gloves.

Edited by frankgrimes

I feel like next year is gonna be the Babcock sweepstakes, and half the teams in the league are going to be slinging offers. Babs will sign with a team and there will be a scramble for all the other coaches. It might actually be a really interesting offseason next year.

I feel like next year is gonna be the Babcock sweepstakes, and half the teams in the league are going to be slinging offers. Babs will sign with a team and there will be a scramble for all the other coaches. It might actually be a really interesting offseason next year.

I'd like to see that happen, and then he actually ends up at Michigan. YOU CAN'T HAVE OUR BABCOCK!!

Some forget that this was where we once were. Back in the early 90's we were one of the best regular season teams year after year. Yet we couldn't win the Cup. In comes Bowman, still didn't win it. Made a few moves, then we won. it took the correct balance of players, coaches, and management to win. Winning a cup is not something that is easy to do. But it is easier to fire a GM and coach than it is to fire 23 players.......

Even with the Cup they won, they beat a crippled Wings team where even Lidstrom was missing games and nearly every star was playing with significant injuries. And it still took game 7 and some very favorable calls from the refs to get there.

I'd like to see that happen, and then he actually ends up at Michigan. YOU CAN'T HAVE OUR BABCOCK!!

Future headline: U of M Babcockblocks the Penguins

I think he takes a year off coaching and relaxes.

I really think the Pens did Bylsma a disservice. They should have just canned him instead of keeping him on as coach because the new GM is going to can him no question about it.

I really think the Pens did Bylsma a disservice. They should have just canned him instead of keeping him on as coach because the new GM is going to can him no question about it.

Agreed new GMs often like to sweep it clean, there is no way Bylsma will coach Pittsburgh next season so why not can him and let him explore other offers, as long asa they are open?

Agreed new GMs often like to sweep it clean, there is no way Bylsma will coach Pittsburgh next season so why not can him and let him explore other offers, as long asa they are open?

Like I said, maybe Botterill wants to keep him, and his future depends on him getting the full time gig.