• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#21 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

Considering Fleury's shortcomings (although he looked decent this year), it might do the team some good to have a strong defense-oriented system in place.

Trotz would be a good thing for their team in regards of defense, as for offense, think Geno and Cid wouldn't know how handle the transition
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#22 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,127 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

Trotz would be a good thing for their team in regards of defense, as for offense, think Geno and Cid wouldn't know how handle the transition

My guess is Trotz has no issue with offense and simply felt that if the Preds were going to become a winning team with the forwards Poile was giving him, they had to be all about defense.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#23 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:16 PM

I think Shero needs to go, but I'm suprised Pens fans want him gone too.  He's made some good moves like trading for Neal and signing Vokoun, but he's made just as many bad moves trading Joe Morrow for a rental, signing Letang to a big deal when you already have very little cap space, not acquiring a veteran back up for Fleury (for this year) after he fell apart in numerous playoffs already.  Re-signing Scuderi, trading away Michalek, one of the few defensive d-men on the team.  Pens fans get so excited when he signs or re-signs someone to a big contract or makes a big trade and rave about how he's "all in" and he's a "gamblin man!" and now that its all backfired on him, they want his head.  Its like when the home crowd urges their team to go for it on 4th and 1 and then when it doesn't work says, "well that was stupid!  what were you thinking?!"  

Trotz is a great coach and has a history with Shero, so maybe Shero stays as a way to lure him to Pittsburgh, but I don't think things will get better for them this way.  Trotz did well in Nashville because he essentially had a bunch of nobodies that listened to everything he said and played his system to a tee.  The Penguins are the opposite of that.  A new coach won't improve their salary cap situation nor will it prevent Shero from taking risky moves.  

#24 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

NHL Radio yesterday had a local Pittsburgh Post Gazette hockey writer on the show to debrief after being eliminated.  Can't recall his name.  Anyway, he said that Mario and the ownership are in "love" with Babcock, and if they did get rid of Bylsma, ownership would 100% no doubt want to talk to Babs about the position.  A few other tidbits...this writer claimed that Babs not signing a long term deal with us was a sign to Mario that they could potentially lure him away from Detroit.  Writer said if this did happen, he wouldn't be surprised if Babs was given some GM type power over the teams construction/personnel decisions as well.  Lastly, the writer said that he thought....(wait for it, wait for it).... Babs would "salivate" at the opportunity to coach Crosby and Malkin.    This last tidbit made me laugh as the writer obviously has drank a swimming pool of the Crosby is God cool-aid.  It came off as pretty arrogant.

ENJOY THE RIDE

#25 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,956 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

When you lose three game 7's at home in the last 5 years, you should be fired.  Blowing two 3-1 series leads in that time doesn't help.

What I find funny is the rumors I heard on NHLN yesterday that ownership feels like the primes of their two best players are being wasted and that the team is too soft and lets other teams get away with too much.  I instantly thought of our team, and wished we had the Pens supporting players and toughness.   :lol:

To each his own, I guess.  

NHL Radio yesterday had a local Pittsburgh Post Gazette hockey writer on the show to debrief after being eliminated.  Can't recall his name.  Anyway, he said that Mario and the ownership are in "love" with Babcock, and if they did get rid of Bylsma, ownership would 100% no doubt want to talk to Babs about the position.  A few other tidbits...this writer claimed that Babs not signing a long term deal with us was a sign to Mario that they could potentially lure him away from Detroit.  Writer said if this did happen, he wouldn't be surprised if Babs was given some GM type power over the teams construction/personnel decisions as well.  Lastly, the writer said that he thought....(wait for it, wait for it).... Babs would "salivate" at the opportunity to coach Crosby and Malkin.    This last tidbit made me laugh as the writer obviously has drank a swimming pool of the Crosby is God cool-aid.  It came off as pretty arrogant.

I heard that rumor too.  Babcock would be a good fit for the Pens and he needs a fresh start.  

Don't know where the Wings would then look, with Laviolette already being hired elsewhere.  Not too many proven winners around.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#26 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

If the want Babcock or Blashill, they need to wait another year since they're both under contract till next summer.

As for what Babcock can do with Crosby, just look at how he got him to sacrifice his offensive game for another Olympic gold

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#27 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,286 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

I heard that rumor too.  Babcock would be a good fit for the Pens and he needs a fresh start.  

Don't know where the Wings would then look, with Laviolette already being hired elsewhere.  Not too many proven winners around.

We'll just take Tippett or someone like that, already on contract. Apparently according to Pittsburgh and Toronto meida you can do that.

Coach has one year left in his deal? s*** bro no prahblem, he'll just rip that s*** up for an opprotunity to coach the Leafs or Penguins.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#28 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

Babcock to the Penguins ? Well sadly that would make too much sense just look at what he did with a bunch of superstars - including Sid the kid - everyone of them commited to a defensive system and was willing to sacrifice their own points for that. If Babs can do that in Pittsburgh watch out :(

Also I would totally understand it if Babs is looking elsewhere, the guy is as competitive as it gets he wants another cup and knows full well that the Wings are a few years away from being a contender again.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#29 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

We'll just take Tippett or someone like that, already on contract. Apparently according to Pittsburgh and Toronto meida you can do that.

Coach has one year left in his deal? s*** bro no prahblem, he'll just rip that s*** up for an opprotunity to coach the Leafs or Penguins.

I may be mistaken but I thought this year was an "optional" year

#30 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,127 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:49 AM

Babcock to the Penguins ? Well sadly that would make too much sense just look at what he did with a bunch of superstars - including Sid the kid - everyone of them commited to a defensive system and was willing to sacrifice their own points for that. If Babs can do that in Pittsburgh watch out :(

Also I would totally understand it if Babs is looking elsewhere, the guy is as competitive as it gets he wants another cup and knows full well that the Wings are a few years away from being a contender again.

Oh, please.

(As in "Give me a break." Not "Please let this happen.")

Don't Toews me, bro!

#31 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:26 AM

I'm betting part of the problem is with ownership too. Bylsma clearly didn't have the power to rein in Crosby and I'm betting if he tried, he would have gotten more than a few phone calls from Mario - look at the occasions during the postseason when we saw Crosby mouthing off to Bylsma on the bench like a petulant child. Total power struggle and Crosby will win that every single time due to the hierarchy of that organization.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#32 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:48 AM

PIT will announce this morning GM Ray Shero and head coach Dan Bylsma have been fired. #TSN

And let the Babcock rumors gain more traction. 

I think their biggest problems is in net and Sid getting shutting down in big games. But even Babs could not get Sid going in the Olympics. 

Edited by Smite, 16 May 2014 - 08:49 AM.

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#33 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

I'm really glad our superstars don't act like spoiled brats. It's bad for morale to mouth off to your coach during a game. Especially coming from your captain. Be a man and have a private sit down after the game if you have a beef.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#34 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

Both are gone. I like Bylsma-Michigan boy. He will bounce back.

Neither can complain much. The players have to play better than they did. Sometimes a new voice is what is needed. I blame MAF but we shall see.....

#35 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:22 AM

Rumor is Shero is heading to Washington.

Interesting

#36 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

Rumor is Shero is heading to Washington.

Interesting

Good, maybe he will trade us Carlson!

BTW, don't feel to bad for Dan. He gets to spend the rest of his summer sitting on the beach in Grand Haven shining his SC ring and counting his millions. Don't be surprised if he lands a high profile job somewhere close to home.......

#37 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

Bylsma strikes me as the kind of guy who would be better as an assistant coach. Not ure if he'd be willing to take anything but a head coaching gig but I wouldn't mind having him as someone who could handle the young players until Blashill takes over.

#38 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

Blysma keeps his job...at least for today. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#39 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

And let the Babcock rumors gain more traction. 

I think their biggest problems is in net and Sid getting shutting down in big games. But even Babs could not get Sid going in the Olympics. 

Gary Bettman's site is reporting the same, press conference to be held

Edited the link as looks like NHL.com changed the article... See latest post / sorry

Edited by Rivalred, 16 May 2014 - 10:59 AM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#40 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

Blysma NOT fired. Shero is fired

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke