• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#41 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

When you lose three game 7's at home in the last 5 years, you should be fired.  Blowing two 3-1 series leads in that time doesn't help.

What I find funny is the rumors I heard on NHLN yesterday that ownership feels like the primes of their two best players are being wasted and that the team is too soft and lets other teams get away with too much.  I instantly thought of our team, and wished we had the Pens supporting players and toughness.   :lol:

To each his own, I guess.  

I heard that rumor too.  Babcock would be a good fit for the Pens and he needs a fresh start.  

Don't know where the Wings would then look, with Laviolette already being hired elsewhere.  Not too many proven winners around.

Trotz in Detroit?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#42 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

probably the first time ever someone has went from "GM of the year" to fired, eh?   :clap:

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#43 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

Shero out, Bylsma safe until new GM makes decision ok future of coaching staff

http://www.nhl.com/i...d=M_DL|NHL|home

Edited by Rivalred, 16 May 2014 - 10:57 AM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#44 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

Shero out, Bylsma safe until new GM makes decision ok future of coaching staff

http://www.nhl.com/i...d=M_DL|NHL|home

And that right there could be the end of Bylsma's tenure in Pittsburgh.

Edited by F.Michael, 16 May 2014 - 11:02 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#45 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

probably the first time ever someone has went from "GM of the year" to fired, eh?   :clap:

Yeah this is what confuses me. Did he make some catastrophic moves this year?

#46 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

Yeah this is what confuses me. Did he make some catastrophic moves this year?

You mean like when he trades all his prospects and picks every year for rentals. No he did nothing like that... He is a gm who is fortunate enough to have 3 of the league's most highly touted players, and he has been cruising on that for a while

#47 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

You mean like when he trades all his prospects and picks every year for rentals. No he did nothing like that... He is a gm who is fortunate enough to have 3 of the league's most highly touted players, and he has been cruising on that for a while

You're over simplifying.  Shero isn't the league's best GM, don't get me wrong.  But for the last two years, Pittsburgh had defensive prospects as deep as we do now.  He traded a few of them, for guys like Morrow and Iginla in an attempt to win the Cup.  It didn't work, so everybody makes it seems like he gutted their team, but in reality he didn't.  Ask yourself this, if Holland were trying to make a Cup run, and traded Quellet and Backman (in packages of course) for Iginla and Morrow, but managed to keep Sproul, Marchenko, and Jensen...how pissed would everyone be?  Sure it's not the best move, but it's not the worst either. The rub, of course, depends on if you win the Cup or not. 

The reality is, Shero kept Maata, Pouliot, Despres, and D'Agostino, so it's not like they're terribly hard up for defense prospects...even with the trades. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#48 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

Anyone else think Bylsma's last name when reading quickly reads "Balsamic"?

I for one would not want a head coach who reminds me of a salad dressing

Edited by Rivalred, 16 May 2014 - 11:42 AM.

#49 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

Blysma NOT fired. Shero is fired

This screams Linden Tortarella Bylsma is for sure gone troops

Sheri to Vancouver would make a lot of sense

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#50 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:53 AM

Bylsma might keep his job?!

Oh please oh please oh please oh please...

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#51 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

Bylsma probably won't keep his job.  They want to bring in a new GM and let him decide if Bylsma's the right man for the job.  I honestly don't see how that can be.  Apparently Crosby and Bylsma have been having shouting matches on the bench and he "lost the locker room".  If that's true, I don't see how he could possibly stay.  Having said that, who would they get instead?  I don't think Trotz is right for them.  Also, he could end up where Shero ends up which could be someplace that needs both a GM and coach like Washington.  Babcock isn't going to Pittsburgh.  At least not this year.  John Tortorella... HA!  Jacques Martin is probably the choice they'll end up with.  Knows the team, defensive minded, already an assistant.

#52 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

Bylsma probably won't keep his job.  They want to bring in a new GM and let him decide if Bylsma's the right man for the job.  I honestly don't see how that can be.  Apparently Crosby and Bylsma have been having shouting matches on the bench and he "lost the locker room".  If that's true, I don't see how he could possibly stay.  Having said that, who would they get instead?  I don't think Trotz is right for them.  Also, he could end up where Shero ends up which could be someplace that needs both a GM and coach like Washington.  Babcock isn't going to Pittsburgh.  At least not this year.  John Tortorella... HA!  Jacques Martin is probably the choice they'll end up with.  Knows the team, defensive minded, already an assistant.

The very same Martin that consistently underperformed in the playoffs over his entire coaching career?  Yeah, that would totally be an improvement over Blysma lol.

But you're right, it probably will be Martin.

Edited by kipwinger, 16 May 2014 - 01:11 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#53 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

You're over simplifying.  Shero isn't the league's best GM, don't get me wrong.  But for the last two years, Pittsburgh had defensive prospects as deep as we do now.  He traded a few of them, for guys like Morrow and Iginla in an attempt to win the Cup.  It didn't work, so everybody makes it seems like he gutted their team, but in reality he didn't.  Ask yourself this, if Holland were trying to make a Cup run, and traded Quellet and Backman (in packages of course) for Iginla and Morrow, but managed to keep Sproul, Marchenko, and Jensen...how pissed would everyone be?  Sure it's not the best move, but it's not the worst either. The rub, of course, depends on if you win the Cup or not. 

The reality is, Shero kept Maata, Pouliot, Despres, and D'Agostino, so it's not like they're terribly hard up for defense prospects...even with the trades. 

Serioulsy? People here would lose their minds.

See: Jarnkrok, Calle

Edited by rick zombo, 16 May 2014 - 02:30 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#54 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

Serioulsy? People here would lose their minds.

See: Jarnkrok, Calle

I get your point, but losing Jarnkrok would probably be a little more tolerable to most people if it had been for Iginla and not Legwand. 

#55 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

Shero's downfall:

- Morrow for Morrow

- connecting his own future with Bylsma's i.e not firing him last year

- not able to find a Winger for sid the kid since forever

- gave up on all the toughness the Pens once had i.e sending BigMac down then on waivers so no protection for Sid and Malkin

- trading away the future for over the hill or injury prone players

- no buying out Fleury

All that aside I'm willing to bet the guy has already other VPs lining up to sign him.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#56 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

Might they try to hire Babcock as GM? If they did, I assume he'd be interested in that job and the Wings would not hold him back as it would be considered a promotion.

#57 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

Might they try to hire Babcock as GM? If they did, I assume he'd be interested in that job and the Wings would not hold him back as it would be considered a promotion.

I don't know the answer to that.  But I do know that if Babcock leaves then about 2,000,000 people, from George Malik all the way down to members of this forum, are going to have to eat a lot of crow.  People have invested so much into this "Babcock doesn't want to leave" business that it's become a part of their symbolic selves.  If he left, they'd be forced to reconsider everything.  Many would convert to Islam.  Some would begin exercising more.  Others would build large totems.  Such would the loss of Babs undermine our psychic well being. 

#58 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

I don't know the answer to that.  But I do know that if Babcock leaves then about 2,000,000 people, from George Malik all the way down to members of this forum, are going to have to eat a lot of crow.  People have invested so much into this "Babcock doesn't want to leave" business that it's become a part of their symbolic selves.  If he left, they'd be forced to reconsider everything.  Many would convert to Islam.  Some would begin exercising more.  Others would build large totems.  Such would the loss of Babs undermine our psychic well being. 

Personally I don't think the team or Babcock have any interest in each other after this season. Its been a decade with him as the coach, its time for both sides to move on.

When Holland refused to let people interview Blashill it all but confirmed he's our next head coach. Maybe Babcock just wants to wait until his daughter has graduated before moving on to his next challenge and Holland is showing him the same loyalty he's showed everyone else in the organization.

#59 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

Personally I don't think the team or Babcock have any interest in each other after this season. Its been a decade with him as the coach, its time for both sides to move on.

When Holland refused to let people interview Blashill it all but confirmed he's our next head coach. Maybe Babcock just wants to wait until his daughter has graduated before moving on to his next challenge and Holland is showing him the same loyalty he's showed everyone else in the organization.

Don't say that too loud, everyone will have a panic attack and then tell you how absurd and silly the notion is, right up until they hyperventilate and pass out. 

#60 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

nhl.com puts positive spin on Shero and a timeline

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=719595