• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

The St. Louis Blues on Monday signed goaltender Brian Elliott to a three-year contract extension. According to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the contract is worth $7.5 million. Elliott would have become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

The move also means goaltender Ryan Miller, acquired Feb. 28, will not return to the team. Miller will become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

"Brian will team up with Jake Allen next season to form our goaltending tandem," Blues general manager Doug Armstrong said.

Elliott, 29, was 18-6-2 in 31 games this season while ranking second in the NHL with a 1.96 goals-against average and 11th in save percentage (.922) and shutouts (four).

He has spent the past three seasons with the Blues, including 2011-12 when he set single-season franchise records in GAA (1.56), save percentage (.940), and shutouts (nine) en route to sharing the 2012 Jennings Trophy with Jaroslav Halak.

In the past three seasons Elliott ranks second among goalies with at least 50 games played with a .680 win percentage (55-24-7), while his 16 shutouts not only lead the League but are tied for second in Blues franchise history.

Elliott has a career record of 116-77-23 in 235 games with the Ottawa SenatorsColorado Avalancheand Blues, with a 2.48 GAA, .910 save percentage and 25 shutouts in 235 games.

Miller was acquired from the Buffalo Sabres along with forward Steve Ott in exchange for goaltenderJaroslav Halak, forward Chris Stewart, forward prospect William Carrier and conditional draft picks. Among those selections is the Blues' 2014 first-round pick, which St. Louis holds onto as long as it does not trade Miller's rights prior to make its first pick.

In 19 games with the Blues Miller went 10-8-1 with a 2.47 GAA and .903 save percentage. And in six Stanley Cup Playoff games against the Chicago Blackhawks he went 2-4-0 with a 2.70 GAA and .897 save percentage.

I won't be surprised to see the Ducks make a pitch at Miller. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#2 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

No s***... Talk about a roller coaster

Edited by Rivalred, 19 May 2014 - 11:49 AM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#3 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

The Ducks are loaded in goal, and Gibson is a fantastic prospect. They would be near the bottom of teams I'd expect to pitch for Miller.

#4 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

Wow.  Trade all that for Miller and Ott then let Miller walk.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#5 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

The Ducks are loaded in goal, and Gibson is a fantastic prospect. They would be near the bottom of teams I'd expect to pitch for Miller.

They won't be as loaded next season. Fasth is in Edmonton now, and Hiller will likely look for another gig after having being relegated to back up for two rookies in the playoffs. Gibson is definitely their future in goal, but is only 20 and has only half an AHL season of work under his belt. He also wasn't as sharp as they had hoped in games 5-7 against LA. He'll likely get a couple more years in the AHL before getting the full time gig in Anaheim.

Miller actually seems like a good fit for Anaheim. It's speculated that he wants to go to CA since his wife is an actress, and he can be a veteran stop gap backed by Anderson, while Gibson develops. The Ducks also give the same opportunity to compete for a Cup that the Blues afforded him.

San Jose is another possible destination. Still in CA, and the Sharks are looking to make changes. Stalock in a pending UFA and might go elsewhere, and Niemi struggled in the playoffs.

Ott could walk too...

#6 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

Miller has been overrated most of his career.  His greatest team successes came when Buffalo was scoring a ton of goals in front of him.  At this point, he's a washed up player, like he showed in the playoffs.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#7 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

They won't be as loaded next season. Fasth is in Edmonton now, and Hiller will likely look for another gig after having being relegated to back up for two rookies in the playoffs. Gibson is definitely their future in goal, but is only 20 and has only half an AHL season of work under his belt. He also wasn't as sharp as they had hoped in games 5-7 against LA. He'll likely get a couple more years in the AHL before getting the full time gig in Anaheim.

Miller actually seems like a good fit for Anaheim. It's speculated that he wants to go to CA since his wife is an actress, and he can be a veteran stop gap backed by Anderson, while Gibson develops. The Ducks also give the same opportunity to compete for a Cup that the Blues afforded him.

San Jose is another possible destination. Still in CA, and the Sharks are looking to make changes. Stalock in a pending UFA and might go elsewhere, and Niemi struggled in the playoffs.

Ott could walk too...

But they also have Frederik Anderson locked up for another year who was getting playing time over Hiller late in the season.  I don't see the Ducks being in the Miller business at all in the off season.

#8 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

But they also have Frederik Anderson locked up for another year who was getting playing time over Hiller late in the season.  I don't see the Ducks being in the Miller business at all in the off season.

Andersen is actually locked up for two more seasons. The only reason he got the starts late in the season was because Hiller dropped the ball pretty hard after the trade deadline and having been solid from December on. Had Hillers play trailed off before the deadline, Anaheim would've definitely been in the Miller sweepstakes.

I doubt Bryan Murray would be comfortable going with Andersen as starter for next season. He's only been in NA for two years, and hasn't yet played a full NHL season. He also wasn't exactly solid in the playoffs, twice getting yanked against the Stars. Fasth looked almost ready for a starter role last season, but the Ducks kept Hiller around and Fasth struggled before getting injured and eventually traded.

Miller wants to go to CA, and the Ducks will have the cap space to bring him in. Even if Andersen is capable of starting, it certainly won't hurt having two goalies capable of starting. The can battle it out in a 1A/1B type deal, while Gibson polishes his game in the AHL for a couple of years.

I would be genuinely surprised if the Ducks don't get into the bidding for Miller.

#9 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

I could totally see Holland biting on this in replacement of Monster. People on here used to talk about how badly this guy wanted to play for us and with his brother.

Not saying it'd necessarily be the best move. We all know how much Holland loves players who are mildly past their prime.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#10 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

i would take him for the right price

that way howard and him can split the season

#11 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

San Jose and Pittsburgh are definitely going to be in on Miller.

#12 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

Miller isn't going to sign for a 50/50 timeshare. Besides, that is a ton of money tied up in goalies. The Red Wings have far bigger issues to address. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#13 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:58 PM

He certainly wasn't the reason why the Blues lost but didn't help either I don't think the Ducks are going to be too high on him, Sharks are making a lot sense and Vancouver could certainly need a veteran goaltender

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#14 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,735 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

Miller >>>> Jimmy....do the deal.

Hiller >>>> Jimmy....get rid of Jimmy

Edited by LeftWinger, 19 May 2014 - 07:46 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#15 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,019 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

It's a lot to give up but by letting Miller walk they hang on to a 1st round pick they would've lost if they re-signed him. 

#16 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,735 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

I should have said it this way.... I think both Miller and Hiller would be huge upgrades over Jimmy.  I still think they should trade Jimmy and go le gangbusters on one of those two guys.  This is my opinion and don't expect many to agree with me...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#17 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

Miller is going to somewhere to be #1, and he is not an upgrade over Howard and is older. Most of Howard's issues were due to his knee bothering him on and off all year.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#18 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

The Hiller that couldn't even keep a starting job on one of the best teams in hockey?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#19 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

I can understand your argument to an extent about Miller, but Hiller is moderately further below Howard on my list of NHL goaltenders.

He's been barely clinging onto a starting job in Anaheim for a few seasons now, Fasth outplayed him and took a lot of starts, 20 year old Gibson took over for him during playoffs because of Hillers inconsistency. 

Hiller in for Howard as the starting goalie here would spell more problems going forward, i'm confident in that statement. I also feel like Miller is on par, if not a very minor upgrade over Howard at this stage of his career and it wouldn't be worth the effort of moving Howard and bringing in Miller for the potential small benefit.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#20 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,386 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

No, no, no to Miller!