• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Blues re-sign Elliott, announce Miller won't be back

Rate this topic

The St. Louis Blues on Monday signed goaltender Brian Elliott to a three-year contract extension. According to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the contract is worth $7.5 million. Elliott would have become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

The move also means goaltender Ryan Miller, acquired Feb. 28, will not return to the team. Miller will become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

"Brian will team up with Jake Allen next season to form our goaltending tandem," Blues general manager Doug Armstrong said.

Elliott, 29, was 18-6-2 in 31 games this season while ranking second in the NHL with a 1.96 goals-against average and 11th in save percentage (.922) and shutouts (four).

He has spent the past three seasons with the Blues, including 2011-12 when he set single-season franchise records in GAA (1.56), save percentage (.940), and shutouts (nine) en route to sharing the 2012 Jennings Trophy with Jaroslav Halak.

In the past three seasons Elliott ranks second among goalies with at least 50 games played with a .680 win percentage (55-24-7), while his 16 shutouts not only lead the League but are tied for second in Blues franchise history.

Elliott has a career record of 116-77-23 in 235 games with the Ottawa Senators, Colorado Avalancheand Blues, with a 2.48 GAA, .910 save percentage and 25 shutouts in 235 games.

Miller was acquired from the Buffalo Sabres along with forward Steve Ott in exchange for goaltenderJaroslav Halak, forward Chris Stewart, forward prospect William Carrier and conditional draft picks. Among those selections is the Blues' 2014 first-round pick, which St. Louis holds onto as long as it does not trade Miller's rights prior to make its first pick.

In 19 games with the Blues Miller went 10-8-1 with a 2.47 GAA and .903 save percentage. And in six Stanley Cup Playoff games against the Chicago Blackhawks he went 2-4-0 with a 2.70 GAA and .897 save percentage.

I won't be surprised to see the Ducks make a pitch at Miller.

The Ducks are loaded in goal, and Gibson is a fantastic prospect. They would be near the bottom of teams I'd expect to pitch for Miller.

They won't be as loaded next season. Fasth is in Edmonton now, and Hiller will likely look for another gig after having being relegated to back up for two rookies in the playoffs. Gibson is definitely their future in goal, but is only 20 and has only half an AHL season of work under his belt. He also wasn't as sharp as they had hoped in games 5-7 against LA. He'll likely get a couple more years in the AHL before getting the full time gig in Anaheim.

Miller actually seems like a good fit for Anaheim. It's speculated that he wants to go to CA since his wife is an actress, and he can be a veteran stop gap backed by Anderson, while Gibson develops. The Ducks also give the same opportunity to compete for a Cup that the Blues afforded him.

San Jose is another possible destination. Still in CA, and the Sharks are looking to make changes. Stalock in a pending UFA and might go elsewhere, and Niemi struggled in the playoffs.

Wow. Trade all that for Miller and Ott then let Miller walk.

Ott could walk too...

They won't be as loaded next season. Fasth is in Edmonton now, and Hiller will likely look for another gig after having being relegated to back up for two rookies in the playoffs. Gibson is definitely their future in goal, but is only 20 and has only half an AHL season of work under his belt. He also wasn't as sharp as they had hoped in games 5-7 against LA. He'll likely get a couple more years in the AHL before getting the full time gig in Anaheim.

Miller actually seems like a good fit for Anaheim. It's speculated that he wants to go to CA since his wife is an actress, and he can be a veteran stop gap backed by Anderson, while Gibson develops. The Ducks also give the same opportunity to compete for a Cup that the Blues afforded him.

San Jose is another possible destination. Still in CA, and the Sharks are looking to make changes. Stalock in a pending UFA and might go elsewhere, and Niemi struggled in the playoffs.

Ott could walk too...

But they also have Frederik Anderson locked up for another year who was getting playing time over Hiller late in the season. I don't see the Ducks being in the Miller business at all in the off season.

But they also have Frederik Anderson locked up for another year who was getting playing time over Hiller late in the season. I don't see the Ducks being in the Miller business at all in the off season.

Andersen is actually locked up for two more seasons. The only reason he got the starts late in the season was because Hiller dropped the ball pretty hard after the trade deadline and having been solid from December on. Had Hillers play trailed off before the deadline, Anaheim would've definitely been in the Miller sweepstakes.

I doubt Bryan Murray would be comfortable going with Andersen as starter for next season. He's only been in NA for two years, and hasn't yet played a full NHL season. He also wasn't exactly solid in the playoffs, twice getting yanked against the Stars. Fasth looked almost ready for a starter role last season, but the Ducks kept Hiller around and Fasth struggled before getting injured and eventually traded.

Miller wants to go to CA, and the Ducks will have the cap space to bring him in. Even if Andersen is capable of starting, it certainly won't hurt having two goalies capable of starting. The can battle it out in a 1A/1B type deal, while Gibson polishes his game in the AHL for a couple of years.

I would be genuinely surprised if the Ducks don't get into the bidding for Miller.

I could totally see Holland biting on this in replacement of Monster. People on here used to talk about how badly this guy wanted to play for us and with his brother.

Not saying it'd necessarily be the best move. We all know how much Holland loves players who are mildly past their prime.

I should have said it this way.... I think both Miller and Hiller would be huge upgrades over Jimmy. I still think they should trade Jimmy and go le gangbusters on one of those two guys. This is my opinion and don't expect many to agree with me...

Miller >>>> Jimmy....do the deal.

Hiller >>>> Jimmy....get rid of Jimmy

I can understand your argument to an extent about Miller, but Hiller is moderately further below Howard on my list of NHL goaltenders.

He's been barely clinging onto a starting job in Anaheim for a few seasons now, Fasth outplayed him and took a lot of starts, 20 year old Gibson took over for him during playoffs because of Hillers inconsistency.

Hiller in for Howard as the starting goalie here would spell more problems going forward, i'm confident in that statement. I also feel like Miller is on par, if not a very minor upgrade over Howard at this stage of his career and it wouldn't be worth the effort of moving Howard and bringing in Miller for the potential small benefit.

Guest DeGraa55

I would be surprised if Miller doesn't play at least one season in Detroit before he hangs it up.

Once he buys a walker he will be our backup goalie for a year.