• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
decorideas

Meltdowns in 3rd period for 2013-2014

Rate this topic

The Wings gave up 58 goals in the 1st period over the 2013-2014 season and 67 goals in the 2nd period. Both of those totals were pretty good relative to everyone else in the NHL. Unfortunately, the Wings gave up 90 goals in the 3rd period over the season resulting in several lost games that should have gone into the Win column. They were almost dead last in the NHL in 3rd period goals allowed (Toronto gave up the most).

Question is......why? What caused it? Poor conditioning? Bad strategy and coaching? Too many penalties?

Whatever it was, if they fix that problem it should help tremendously going forward to next season.

Edited by decorideas

Good breakdown. I didn't realize it was that bad. It certainly was very frustrating though.

I would say our D collapsed under pressure in the 3rd most of the time (Kindl/Lashoff/Quincey). Also, when we got beat early our team would give up and lose games big it seems.

It would be interesting to see the playing times for the various D-men in each of the periods. But I kinda think there's something more to it. Did we play our top 4 guys mostly in the 1st & 2nd period and then turn the 3rd period over to the Kindl/Lashoff/Quincy boys? Something tells me no.

When other teams were trying to come back against us and iced their best offensive guys, we still had to ice players like Quincey, Kindl, Lashoff, Glendening, Abdelkader, Bertuzzi etc.

When you have a healthy Z and Dats on seperate lines, and 2 solid d-pairings you can protect leads, we couldn't this year because we didn't have either of those things. Too many kids, weak defense, iffy goaltending.

This needs to change next season, we lost so many points in 3rd periods this year.

It was a pretty ugly season no matter which part of the roster or game we examine. The highlights (Tatar, Nyquist, end of season push to playoffs) simply couldn't overcome an immense amount of injuries, goaltending that was absent for long periods, and a hollow defensive corps.

Our offense had old players that shouldn't have been there. And our defense had young guys that clearly need work and time (Smith, to me, shows he is improving).

We were in a weird spot in needing the old players because the young ones aren't ready yet to take over.

Like Babcock says, we are rebuilding on the fly. We can tank five straight years and rack up picks like CHI and PIT did but the organziation doesn't want to do that to the fans and the business. Our approach may take longer but we also are somewhat competitive as we do it.

Epic collapses will be a part of this as the kids have to learn. And learn the hard, brutal way.

It was a pretty ugly season no matter which part of the roster or game we examine. The highlights (Tatar, Nyquist, end of season push to playoffs) simply couldn't overcome an immense amount of injuries, goaltending that was absent for long periods, and a hollow defensive corps.

Our offense had old players that shouldn't have been there. And our defense had young guys that clearly need work and time (Smith, to me, shows he is improving).

We were in a weird spot in needing the old players because the young ones aren't ready yet to take over.

Like Babcock says, we are rebuilding on the fly. We can tank five straight years and rack up picks like CHI and PIT did but the organziation doesn't want to do that to the fans and the business. Our approach may take longer but we also are somewhat competitive as we do it.

Epic collapses will be a part of this as the kids have to learn. And learn the hard, brutal way.

I'm more concerned with the identity crisis our team is in, everyone seems to be confused out there as to what they are supposed to do. Then there are glimpses, in which we watch them play and it almost looks like 2002 again, but then they lose 5 games in a row, so you know, at least we aren't leaf fans.