• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2014 SCF : (2) The Big Apple vs. (3) Hollywood

Rate this topic

Who takes home Lord Stanley?   

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They aren't done. Wait till their kids get some seasons under them. The Kings will be better than this.

They could have picked Williams, Kopitar, Gabs, Doughty or Carter and not have picked wrong. It's simpley insane. But great fun to watch and be around.

It's surprising how young some of that roster is based on how they play. Pearson is 21, Toffoli is 22. Those two combined for 26 points in the playoffs and were great with Carter on "That 70s Line." Pearson now has played as many postseason NHL games as he has regular season (25). And this was Toffoli's first full season.

On the blueline Muzzin is 25, Voynov 23, and it's hard to believe it with all the hockey he's played but Doughty is only 24.

Chemistry on a team is far more important that skill of each individual player.

I think that's kind of a false dichotomy. A Cup-winning team is loaded with individual talent that's put together to play a system and style that suits the sum of the parts. The individuals are mixed and matched with certain other individuals for various reasons, and the lines and pairings are always changing. You hope "chemistry" develops, and you're always looking for it, but, ultimately, it's skill, talent, ability and strong goaltending that's going to carry you. "Chemistry" - if it can be quantified at all - just helps the cause, a lot.

Look at the Olympics. Canada's always an all-star team, whereas some of the lesser teams are really close-knit but not nearly as talented. Look at the '02 Wings - no one was picking them because of any perceived team chemistry. They were just obscenely deep.

Guys, I tried.

I just can't manage to give two rabbit farts when it's not us lifting the cup.

Best part of these playoffs for me was that neither the Pens or the Hawks got to the big show, so there's that...

If the Wings go down, then this is all that matters to me :lol: f*** those bangwagons and their whiny ass captains.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/final-thoughts-from-the-stanley-cup-final-it-wasnt-even-close/

The Columbus Blue Jackets have to be thinking of what might have been. The number of former Blue Jackets in the final was staggering – Rick Nash, Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett, John Moore and Anton Stralman for the Rangers and Marian Gaborik and Cater for the Kings. It has to sting that they dealt Brassard, Dorsett and Moore to get Gaborik, then got almost nothing from Gaborik before trading him to the Kings for Matt Frattin and a draft pick. But what has to hurt most is that in the 2005 draft, Blue Jackets management and scouts were torn between taking one of two players with the sixth overall selection. Their instincts told them to take Gilbert Brule with that pick. The other player, Anze Kopitar, went to the Kings five picks later.

Ouch.

Guest Playmaker

Not really seeing an issue here. Rick Nash demanded a trade, it isn't like they wanted to trade him. The Rangers gave up on Gaborik, too. The Flyers traded away Carter and Richards. It's a non story. Because player X plays well on one team doesn't mean another team was wrong for trading him. That seems to be lost on fans quite often. There are so many variables involved. Even if the BJ's still had every one of those players, does it mean they're winning the Cup? No. Likely they'd still be a very borderline playoff team. The Wings could have gotten Gaborik at the trade deadline and he could've very well turned out to be a dud. There just is no magic formula. It's often times a total crap shoot and when it works teams look like geniuses and when it doesn't, the fans and media think they would have done differently.

Not really seeing an issue here. Rick Nash demanded a trade, it isn't like they wanted to trade him. The Rangers gave up on Gaborik, too. The Flyers traded away Carter and Richards. It's a non story. Because player X plays well on one team doesn't mean another team was wrong for trading him. That seems to be lost on fans quite often. There are so many variables involved. Even if the BJ's still had every one of those players, does it mean they're winning the Cup? No. Likely they'd still be a very borderline playoff team. The Wings could have gotten Gaborik at the trade deadline and he could've very well turned out to be a dud. There just is no magic formula. It's often times a total crap shoot and when it works teams look like geniuses and when it doesn't, the fans and media think they would have done differently.

I don't agree that player acquisition is a crap shoot, but I do agree that this isn't a story. Lost in this story is the fact that Columbus had their franchise best season this year and were VERY close to knocking off the heavily favored Pens. People tend to overlook the fact that they're building a pretty good team down in Columbus without Nash, Gaborik, or Carter. I definitely wouldn't have wanted to play them in the playoffs. They're fast, big, hit hard, play defense and have a lot of quality talent. It would have been embarrassing if we'd lost to them, and we probably would have if the truth be known.

Thank you CBC for your HNIC presentations; it was a long and great ride and you will be missed!

Yeah, no more CBC HNIC for those in Southeast Michigan :-/

Still, it was very telling how they fracked up Ron Maclean's closing words.... Time to hand it off to someone who can handle a broadcast, maybe.