• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DSM

Adam Almquist says he’s considering returning to Sweden to avoid AHL

Rate this topic

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/disgruntled-red-wings-prospect-adam-almquist-says-hes-considering-returning

I have to think that Almquist has a pretty high chance of skating in the NHL next season. He could re-sign with the Red Wings, hit camp and if he doesn't make the club, he hits waivers. If that becomes the case, I doubt he'll ever step foot in GR again. Like Quincey six years ago, a rebuilding club or club that has trouble attracting quality UFA's would more than likely have an opening and take a chance on a young guy that was an AHL post season all-star, second (I think) in AHL dmen scoring, and has a Calder Cup under his belt.

Just my thoughts.

If he was faster he might stick. 178 pound defensemen with average speed don't have a high likelihood of being good NHL players. If the Wings don't give him a qualifying offer he might get an UFA deal, but if his goal is NHL or Europe, he'd be better off just signing in Europe.

Too small to become anything at the NHL level too bad because the talent is obviously there. The pick was a gamble some turn out well, others don't sad but it's n ot like the SEL is a bad league in fact they might be number 2 or 3 overall worldwide.

I don't write off people just because of their size. There are plenty of small players that have made it in the NHL that you would think had absolutely no shot.

Almquist might not be 100% ready for the NHL yet. But from the little bit I've seen of him, I would certainly take him over Kindl, Lashoff, and even Smith (although Smith does occasionally look decent at times).

I agree the Almquist deserves time over Kindl and Lashoff who haven't really solidified themselves and almost played themselves off the roster. But Smith is much improved and was probably our most consistent dman against a big strong boston team in the playoffs. Smith just needed to feel like babcock trusted him.

Almquist might not be 100% ready for the NHL yet. But from the little bit I've seen of him, I would certainly take him over Kindl, Lashoff, and even Smith (although Smith does occasionally look decent at times).

There's no way Almquist is better than Smith. Maybe Kindl or Lashoff, but if that was the case, then Almquist probably would have gotten more of a shot throughout the season. I don't personally have anything against Almquist, though it's pretty evident by now the Red Wings don't view him as part of the team going forward. Especially with Ouellet, Sproul, Backman and Marchenko all knocking on the door.

I like Almquist's ability to move the puck and offensive potential, but it takes more than that to stick against the best forwards in the world.

Edited by GoWings1905

Smith just needed to feel like babcock trusted him.

Naw...Smith just needed to be gifted top pair minutes rather than having to earn them. Miller would probably look a lot better on Datsyuk's wing too, but it doesn't mean he earned it or that he belongs there.

Too small to become anything at the NHL level too bad because the talent is obviously there. The pick was a gamble some turn out well, others don't sad but it's n ot like the SEL is a bad league in fact they might be number 2 or 3 overall worldwide.

He's played 2 NHL games. And he scored a goal in one of them.

If we let this kid walk while we continue to give icetime to bums like Lashoff and Kindl, I will be very disappointed. Almqvist would help us with two of our biggest problems: puck movement and powerplay.

Unless Holland makes some great moves to significantly upgrade our defense I don't see why Almqvist should just be let go.

Small players can excel in the NHL. It's harder for a defenseman though, and the few that do make it are far better skaters than Almquist is. As it stands now, he'd be overmatched in his own end and offensively he wouldn't be able to win enough puck battles to be effective enough to compensate for the poor defense.

People who are saying he'd be better than anyone the Wings have now, or Sproul, Marchenko, or Ouellet, are the "grass is greener" crowd. The same ones who said that Ericsson was going to be the Swedish Pronger, and every hot prospect was already better than half the roster before they played more than a dozen NHL games, and any given free agent would "obviously" be good here, until that player gets here and we see his flaws. If Almquist was on the roster next year, everyone would be screaming to get rid of him by Thanksgiving.

Kindl is obviously expendable, but those suggesting that Almqvist is more valuable than Smith and Lashoff are guilty, IMO, of overvaluing potential and the unknown. He can't kill penalties, which Lashoff does quite well. By all accounts Almqvist is below at least three other defencemen in Grand Rapids, in terms of NHL potential. If he turns into Rafalski, I will be stunned.

Small players can excel in the NHL. It's harder for a defenseman though, and the few that do make it are far better skaters than Almquist is. As it stands now, he'd be overmatched in his own end and offensively he wouldn't be able to win enough puck battles to be effective enough to compensate for the poor defense.

People who are saying he'd be better than anyone the Wings have now, or Sproul, Marchenko, or Ouellet, are the "grass is greener" crowd. The same ones who said that Ericsson was going to be the Swedish Pronger, and every hot prospect was already better than half the roster before they played more than a dozen NHL games, and any given free agent would "obviously" be good here, until that player gets here and we see his flaws. If Almquist was on the roster next year, everyone would be screaming to get rid of him by Thanksgiving.

Our defense struggles a lot with puck movement, and our PP is dysfunctional largely due to Kronwall being the only one being decent at quarterbacking it. Marchenko seems solid but he's not that gifted offensively. Sproul might have potential, but I get the impression he's not ready for the NHL. Ouellet is safe, but again, more defensively than offensively.

You could be right, that we would want him off the team if he gets the chance. But I feel it's important that he does get that chance. He was impressive in camp last year, in his 2 game call-up he showed a lot of good things. And obviously he's been great in Grand Rapids. Kid deserves a shot.

Guest DeGraa55

Naw...Smith just needed to be gifted top pair minutes rather than having to earn them. Miller would probably look a lot better on Datsyuk's wing too, but it doesn't mean he earned it or that he belongs there.

Except corsi stats showed Smith DID EARN it and was out best 5 on 5 defenseman and kronwall played BETTER WITH SMIT THAN WITH BIG E.

But it's ok some clueless people can keep think he belongs in third line.

Except corsi stats showed Smith DID EARN it and was out best 5 on 5 defenseman and kronwall played BETTER WITH SMIT THAN WITH BIG E.

But it's ok some clueless people can keep think he belongs in third line.

I'm clueless now? Well at least you don't throw a fit and call people names when they don't agree with you.

And who could possibly argue with a stat that ranks David Booth above John Tavares and Mike Green above Ryan Suter. Rock solid.

Edited by kipwinger

Almquist has to get a shot with the Wings this season. Injuries are inevitable. Give him a chance at least.

It would be hard to see a player with that kind of talent let go, playing only 2 NHL games 1 goal, and he didn't look out of place at the NHL level.

Yea, he's small. Let him get crushed a few times by Lucic and next year go back to Sweden if he doesn't make it this year.

He doesn't want to stay in the system? Even if it means being GRR!?!? How dare he thumb a nose to the Wings!

Same things were being said by Jarnkrok. You don't tell them what is gonna happen...or you find yourself out. See ya! Enjoy your career on the Island!

Our defense struggles a lot with puck movement, and our PP is dysfunctional largely due to Kronwall being the only one being decent at quarterbacking it. Marchenko seems solid but he's not that gifted offensively. Sproul might have potential, but I get the impression he's not ready for the NHL. Ouellet is safe, but again, more defensively than offensively.

You could be right, that we would want him off the team if he gets the chance. But I feel it's important that he does get that chance. He was impressive in camp last year, in his 2 game call-up he showed a lot of good things. And obviously he's been great in Grand Rapids. Kid deserves a shot.

First, he doesn't want to be a call up or be given a chance. He wants the NHL or Europe. That won't happen in Detroit. Second, if he can't win puck battles he won't help offensively because he'll cough up the puck constantly. The team constantly evaluates their prospects. The fact that Ouellet got time in the playoffs over Almquist should tell you all you need to know. They know he'd be overmatched, which despite his goal and a few nice passes, he was in his 2 games. And don't talk to me about camp. Half the players he was up against were AHL, ECHL, or junior players.