• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings4thecup06

Dan Boyle's rights traded to the Islanders…..

Rate this topic

Katie Strang Rangers beat writer and reporter:

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 3m
That conditional pick becomes a fourth if Boyle sings with the team

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 4m
Isles announce they have acquired pending UFA D Dan Boyle in exchange for conditional 5th round draft pick in 2015

Guest DeGraa55

I hope he signs so there is no chance the Wings end up with him

Agred

Katie Strang Rangers beat writer and reporter:

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 3m

That conditional pick becomes a fourth if Boyle sings with the team

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 4m

Isles announce they have acquired pending UFA D Dan Boyle in exchange for conditional 5th round draft pick in 2015

What does he have to sing though?

so does boyle seriously suck now or is his age just what people dont like?

0.5ppg from a defensman is exactly what the Wings need. I think age and size probably turns most people off. Actually I think any acquisition that isn't for a star or franchise player is going to disappoint a big chunk of LGW.

I'm going to disagree with you guys and say that he's the kind of short term solution the Wings need before guys like Sproul and Ouellet are #3/4 dmen... he signs for 2 years at 5 a year under a familiar coach and mentors the kids (some North American leadership)

Let's not forget that Boyle is a pretty rugged player, at 38 he played more games than most of the Wings roster last year..

hmm, who's guessing he won't sign?

http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/isles-trade-for-dan-boyle-from-san-jose/

Also per arthur staple at newsday

I'll bet he does. Given all the good years he's given San Jose it would be really s***ty of them to trade his rights to a team he's not willing to sign with. My guess is they had a discussion with him before they pulled the trigger and he gave the ok.

I'll bet he does. Given all the good years he's given San Jose it would be really s***ty of them to trade his rights to a team he's not willing to sign with. My guess is they had a discussion with him before they pulled the trigger and he gave the ok.

That's one way to look at it, but how many other players have said, "thanks for the interest Garth, but no thanks"?

Another way to look at it is that he's doing SJ the favor and getting something for his rights. He's got no real obligation to sign with the Isles.

0.5ppg from a defensman is exactly what the Wings need. I think age and size probably turns most people off. Actually I think any acquisition that isn't for a star or franchise player is going to disappoint a big chunk of LGW.

i just dont see why we wouldnt want a one year upgrade from what we had last season on our 3rd pairing. this would give oullett, sproul and march another year to develop if they need it.

I'm going to disagree with you guys and say that he's the kind of short term solution the Wings need before guys like Sproul and Ouellet are #3/4 dmen... he signs for 2 years at 5 a year under a familiar coach and mentors the kids (some North American leadership)

Let's not forget that Boyle is a pretty rugged player, at 38 he played more games than most of the Wings roster last year..

A number of people who post here are pretty pro-Boyle (or just pro veteran, right handed defender). When it comes to the Wings' defensive situation for next season, there are pretty much three trains of thought.

#1: Niskanen! Niskanen!

#2: Sign Boyle for 1-2 seasons and let one of the kids mature on the third pairing.

#3: Let the kids play (Two of Ouellet, Marchenko and/or Sproul up with the Wings)

Edited by Jesusberg

People forget that he had a nasty, lingering concussion last year. Throw out a bad four-month period and he looks like a #4/5 DMAN. Throw him on a third pairing with Ouelett and the team would look pretty good. Kronwall-Smith, Big E-DeKeyeser, Ouelett-Boyle.... that's a huge bump in toughness and puck-moving ability with guys who make smart plays.

Boyle is a shell of his former self. He was a great defenceman a few years ago but has found himself on the wrong side of 35; and just like most defenceman at this age, is not able to keep up with the new NHL.

Sharks fans generally agree that his time has come as well, they are not upset at him leaving. If he isn't good enough for their team, he shouldnt be for ours either based on the amount of kids we need to start having playing time

Oh, plz.

The Wings aren't on the same level as the Sharks. We could really use a Dan Boyle. How does having him on the second pairing for a couple years hurt us? Are we that high on our kids that we feel we need Ouellet and Marchenko taking the hypothetical two spots available or we're not going to be able to compete for the Cup?

Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser, Smith, a kid, someone from the outside. That's probably what our blue line should look like next season. If that someone from the outside is Dan Boyle, that's not a bad thing. If he falters, he gets hurt - then guess what: we can bring up a kid. Win-win.