• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
trule23

Trading up?

Rate this topic

The thing about this possibility is, as far as I can tell, it's totally doable. We wouldn't have to sell the farm, or ship out Z or D. We'd probably just have to move Ericsson (Tallon wants a big-bodied top-four defenseman), a pick, and a prospect. For Aaron Ekblad? I would do that. But that's just me.

The thing about this possibility is, as far as I can tell, it's totally doable. We wouldn't have to sell the farm, or ship out Z or D. We'd probably just have to move Ericsson (Tallon wants a big-bodied top-four defenseman), a pick, and a prospect. For Aaron Ekblad? I would do that. But that's just me.

That’s fine. If it’s doable in that way. I just have a hard time stomaching the overzealousness of people who get all horned up for prospects to the point where they’d trade our friggin captain. It’s sensationalism, and knee-jerky, and reeks of fan-boy fantasy. But I guess that’s what happens when you haven’t had a top 5 draft pick since 1990.

Edited by rick zombo

No thanks. TBH it has nothing to do with Ekblad. It has to do with the development time of most Dmen. It generally takes them into their mid to late 20's to develop. We have talked about this before. Ericsson was 28 before he made it. Kindl is 26 and still trying to figure it out. Same for Smith-25. Hell Chara didn't make it until his late 20's. We need help now.

Remember Kopecky's last shift in Detroit?

No reason to taint that memory.

:lol: Never cheered so hard to a Wing getting TKOed.

Back to the topic at hand, I'd trade up all right... for #2/3 and take Reinhart or Bennett. We don't have a strong center prospect in the system anymore, and lots of defense prospects.

Personally I think this is the worst draft in years to trade up in..I'd rather trade down or trade away the 1st round pick. Buffalo has 3, 2nd round picks I'd rather get them if we're looking to deal.

I'm with Flashy. Trade down. Our first for 2 of Buffalo's three second rounders.

Giving them two first rounders this year. Three next year. Holy crap!! That's a lot of first round picks.

That’s fine. If it’s doable in that way. I just have a hard time stomaching the overzealousness of people who get all horned up for prospects to the point where they’d trade our friggin captain. It’s sensationalism, and knee-jerky, and reeks of fan-boy fantasy. But I guess that’s what happens when you haven’t had a top 5 draft pick since 1990.

To me, it's a moot point; as far as I know, Tallon hasn't given any indication that the asking price is an elite, franchise forward like Datsyuk or Zetterberg. He's stated that he'd like a big-bodied top-four defenseman, probably along the lines of Seabrook. We have one of those (still in his prime and on a reasonable contract) in Ericsson, and Tallon, being Tallon, is surely very familiar with him. That's why I think we have a real shot at this.

And it's a unique shot. It's a shot at first overall. I don't really believe in "weak drafts," making key decisions based on the perceived "depth" of a draft class versus another year's class. But, given how many people seem to subscribe to the idea, I think it's safe to say that the only way we get to trade up for first overall is if the planets align and the team - in this case the Panthers - doesn't feel the draft in question is especially "deep," which is just as well because they don't want any more futures anyway, as they've decided to be a cap team, a playoff team, a winning team. You'd hope that team isn't in your division, but I don't think that's a big issue for either side if everyone is thinking objectively.

Ekblad is very, very good. He's big, he's mature (in both senses). He's very likely a cornerstone defenseman for any team lucky enough to get him. He's going to step right into the league and be a difference-maker. I think we'd be stupid not to pursue him. The same is true for a few other kids in this draft, but it gets dicey because we might be trading one of our better defensemen for a forward, and I don't know if that's worth it. But Ekblad, I believe he's worth it. I believe he's that right-handed franchise defenseman that every team wants these days, there for the taking, and the Panthers don't even really want him if they can get a Jonathan Ericsson.

Just for the record, I don't actually believe the Wings are going to do this. Not a snowball's chance in hell. If the player(s) they really want (e.g. Larkin, McCann) is/are taken, Holland will trade down to the tail end of the first round to recoup the second-round pick lost in the Legwand deal.

I'd do it, and I dont think it would be very crazy. Zetterberg is nearing the end of his career and Ekblad is a possible franchise defenseman.

I'm with you... the kid is 18 and already 6'4" and 216 lbs. I wouldn't even have to think twice to pull the trigger

The only way I see Z being traded is if we really sank low and we traded him to a team with a legit chance to win a Cup in his last year(s) and that is partly him asking the Red Wings to trade him. I don't think he would.

As enticing as a 1st pick would be, Holland dumping Z, of all the players, in Florida doesn't strike me as going over well with this organization. Nor would I think Florida would want Z over the first pick or one of our other players. The other teams want Nyquist, Tatar, DK. Just need to find a GM drunk enough to accept what we need to clean out...

But would def love to have the first pick.

Did you just compare Zetterberg to Yzerman??

Why not? Most everyone else in this thread has gone absolutely bonkers and run off to some fantasy zone. Figured I’d just join in.

But, if you could pull your chest feathers in for a minute, you’ll see that, from an organizational standpoint,

Yzerman for Florida’s pick in 2002 : Bouwmeester

is comparable to trading

Zetterberg for Florida’s pick in 2014: Ekblad

Except we actually know that Bouwmeester at least turned into a top 4 D-man.

Edited by rick zombo

Why not? Most everyone else in this thread has gone absolutely bonkers and run off to some fantasy zone. Figured Id just join in.

But, if you could pull your chest feathers in for a minute, youll see that, from an organizational standpoint,

Yzerman for Floridas pick in 2002 : Bouwmeester

is comparable to trading

Zetterberg for Floridas pick in 2014: Ekblad

Except we actually know that Bouwmeester at least turned into a top 4 D-man.

Zetterberg is a good but not legendary captain in a post Lidstrom era and the Red Wings need to rebuild. So, no I dont see much similarity at all actually. Great rewards rarely come without risk, and in this case I think Ekblad could prove to be worth it.

Zetterberg is a good but not legendary captain in a post Lidstrom era and the Red Wings need to rebuild. So, no I dont see much similarity at all actually. Great rewards rarely come without risk, and in this case I think Ekblad could prove to be worth it.

COULD. Could be a huge waste of talent too. Everyone's high on draft picks this time of year. Few come even close to Z or Y

COULD. Could be a huge waste of talent too. Everyone's high on draft picks this time of year. Few come even close to Z or Y

Yes, Captain Obvious, if you want to play it safe this is not a deal for you. It's a risk, but a calculated one imo. I have never said otherwise.

Yes, Captain Obvious, if you want to play it safe this is not a deal for you. It's a risk, but a calculated one imo. I have never said otherwise.

And there's a reason my point is obvious. Trading away your franchise player and captain for an overhyped draft pick isn't a calculated risk, it's NHL 14 fantasy la la land.

I'm sorry, but are people suggesting we trade Z away just so we can acquire an overhyped up 18 year old? Call me stupid, but seriously? Why would you want to trade away our best player, leader and galvaniser? The man had back surgery for heavens sake and was still better than 90% of the team vs the Bruins when he came back a month early. I'll trade him away when he's retired. Thanks

And there's a reason my point is obvious. Trading away your franchise player and captain for an overhyped draft pick isn't a calculated risk, it's NHL 14 fantasy la la land.

A captain that struggled last season with a back injury, a captain that might play three more season's if we are lucky. Overhyped? Ekblad is an exception player, first defenseman to gain this status ever. I'm not suggesting this particular trade necessarily, but I'm advocating that it could be an interesting possibility to trade up. OK, let's go back to discuss trading Franzen and some bottom six guy for top elite players, because that surely isn't NHL 14-esque at all. Edited by RyanBarnes!

A captain that struggled last season with a back injury, a captain that might play three more season's if we are lucky. Overhyped? Ekblad is an exception player, first defenseman to gain this status ever. I'm not suggesting this particular trade necessarily, but I'm advocating that it could be an interesting possibility to trade up. OK, let's go back to discuss trading Franzen and some bottom six guy for top elite players, because that surely isn't NHL 14-esque at all.

I love the wings bc, despite his knees, they didn't trade Yzerman, and bc despite his back, they won't trade Zetterberg. If you want to root for a team that does that kind of thing, go be a deadmonton fan.

A captain that struggled last season with a back injury, a captain that might play three more season's if we are lucky. Overhyped? Ekblad is an exception player, first defenseman to gain this status ever. I'm not suggesting this particular trade necessarily, but I'm advocating that it could be an interesting possibility to trade up. OK, let's go back to discuss trading Franzen and some bottom six guy for top elite players, because that surely isn't NHL 14-esque at all.

Oh, and Franzen + pieces won't get u ekblad unless this is NHL 14

I love the wings bc, despite his knees, they didn't trade Yzerman, and bc despite his back, they won't trade Zetterberg. If you want to root for a team that does that kind of thing, go be a deadmonton fan.

Oh, and Franzen + pieces won't get u ekblad unless this is NHL 14

I'll root for any team I want thank you. Zetterberg is nothing like Yzerman. To be succesful you must sometimes make hard decisions. At least we can agree that Franzen is not a tradable commodity then. That is something.

Let's trade away everyone over the age of 29, because who needs veteran leadership anyway?

And you never know what would have happened had they traded yzerman to pick bouwmeester.

Maybe bouwmeester doesn't turn out as good.

Maybe Lidstrom decided that he doesn't want to play for a team that would trade their captain of the last two decades for an unproven prospect and decides to just go back to sweden after his contract is up.

Maybe, were so spoiled as a fan base that we throw temper tantrums about the tiniest little things.

And if you're going to trade your best player, you don't do it for an Aaron ekblad, you do it for a Crosby, or mcdavid.

Someone where the risk is so low that youd be stupid not to.