• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

"Possible" franchise player for our Captain? There have been plenty of 1st overall picks that didn't turn out to be what we thought they would. I'll keep Z thank you.

Well good luck trading for a sure fire franchise player.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#22 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:55 PM

Well good luck trading for a sure fire franchise player.

Well if we're trading one away we better be getting one back.

#23 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

It would be utter insanity.

Ekblad may not even be the first defenceman taken in this draft, or the one with the most successful career. If he's lucky he'll become a top pairing defenceman, but he's far from a Franchise player.

Did you know that Ekblad is the first defenseman to be granted exceptional status and compete in the CHL a year before eligable age. Tavares was given the same status in 2005. Zetterberg has a few more season's in him at most, if his back will not force him into early retirement, that is.

#24 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:19 PM

Did you know that Ekblad is the first defenseman to be granted exceptional status and compete in the CHL a year before eligable age. Tavares was given the same status in 2005. Zetterberg has a few more season's in him at most, if his back will not force him into early retirement, that is.

Ekblad is an awesome prospect but he also plays the toughest position to transition to the pro game in.

There are all kinds of highly touted defenceman who have fizzled out without reaching their potential, and its a position we are deepest in prospect wise. 

If we had the 1st overall pick I wouldn't hesitate to take him but that's entirely different than trading away our best player for the right to pick him. We'd be making a far bigger hole than we're fixing.

#25 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

If you trade to five you should have one of Bennett, Reinhart, Nylander or Draisaitl.  Any one of those four would immediately become the club's top C prospect..   Offer this year's first and third and next year's 2nd.

#26 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

Niklas Kronwall  Aaron Ekblad

Danny DeKeyser  Anton Stralman

Don't Know  What Evz

Who Cares

It's so beautiful.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#27 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

If only we had traded Yzerman in 2002 for that draft’s top rated d-man: Jay Bouwmeester.

We’d bef****** set right now. 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#28 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

The thing about this possibility is, as far as I can tell, it's totally doable. We wouldn't have to sell the farm, or ship out Z or D. We'd probably just have to move Ericsson (Tallon wants a big-bodied top-four defenseman), a pick, and a prospect. For Aaron Ekblad? I would do that. But that's just me.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#29 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

The thing about this possibility is, as far as I can tell, it's totally doable. We wouldn't have to sell the farm, or ship out Z or D. We'd probably just have to move Ericsson (Tallon wants a big-bodied top-four defenseman), a pick, and a prospect. For Aaron Ekblad? I would do that. But that's just me.

That’s fine. If it’s doable in that way. I just have a hard time stomaching the overzealousness of people who get all horned up for prospects to the point where they’d trade our friggin captain. It’s sensationalism, and knee-jerky, and reeks of fan-boy fantasy. But I guess that’s what happens when you haven’t had a top 5 draft pick since 1990. 

Edited by rick zombo, 12 June 2014 - 08:27 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#30 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:33 PM

No thanks. TBH it has nothing to do with Ekblad. It has to do with the development time of most Dmen. It generally takes them into their mid to late 20's to develop. We have talked about this before. Ericsson was 28 before he made it. Kindl is 26 and still trying to figure it out. Same for Smith-25. Hell Chara didn't make it until his late 20's. We need help now.

#31 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,856 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

Franzen for kopecky!!!!

Remember Kopecky's last shift in Detroit?

No reason to taint that memory.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#32 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,062 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

Remember Kopecky's last shift in Detroit?

No reason to taint that memory.  

:lol: Never cheered so hard to a Wing getting TKOed.

Back to the topic at hand, I'd trade up all right... for #2/3 and take Reinhart or Bennett. We don't have a strong center prospect in the system anymore, and lots of defense prospects.

#NOMOREKINDL

#33 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:14 AM

If only we had traded Yzerman in 2002 for that drafts top rated d-man: Jay Bouwmeester.

Wed bef****** set right now. 

Did you just compare Zetterberg to Yzerman??

#34 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

Personally I think this is the worst draft in years to trade up in..I'd rather trade down or trade away the 1st round pick. Buffalo has 3, 2nd round picks I'd rather get them if we're looking to deal.

I'm with Flashy.  Trade down.  Our first for 2 of Buffalo's three second rounders.

Giving them two first rounders this year.  Three next year.  Holy crap!!  That's a lot of first round picks.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#35 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

That’s fine. If it’s doable in that way. I just have a hard time stomaching the overzealousness of people who get all horned up for prospects to the point where they’d trade our friggin captain. It’s sensationalism, and knee-jerky, and reeks of fan-boy fantasy. But I guess that’s what happens when you haven’t had a top 5 draft pick since 1990. 

To me, it's a moot point; as far as I know, Tallon hasn't given any indication that the asking price is an elite, franchise forward like Datsyuk or Zetterberg. He's stated that he'd like a big-bodied top-four defenseman, probably along the lines of Seabrook. We have one of those (still in his prime and on a reasonable contract) in Ericsson, and Tallon, being Tallon, is surely very familiar with him. That's why I think we have a real shot at this.

And it's a unique shot. It's a shot at first overall. I don't really believe in "weak drafts," making key decisions based on the perceived "depth" of a draft class versus another year's class. But, given how many people seem to subscribe to the idea, I think it's safe to say that the only way we get to trade up for first overall is if the planets align and the team - in this case the Panthers - doesn't feel the draft in question is especially "deep," which is just as well because they don't want any more futures anyway, as they've decided to be a cap team, a playoff team, a winning team. You'd hope that team isn't in your division, but I don't think that's a big issue for either side if everyone is thinking objectively.

Ekblad is very, very good. He's big, he's mature (in both senses). He's very likely a cornerstone defenseman for any team lucky enough to get him. He's going to step right into the league and be a difference-maker. I think we'd be stupid not to pursue him. The same is true for a few other kids in this draft, but it gets dicey because we might be trading one of our better defensemen for a forward, and I don't know if that's worth it. But Ekblad, I believe he's worth it. I believe he's that right-handed franchise defenseman that every team wants these days, there for the taking, and the Panthers don't even really want him if they can get a Jonathan Ericsson.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#36 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:24 AM

What I can really see happening: Ehrhoff to Florida.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#37 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

Just for the record, I don't actually believe the Wings are going to do this. Not a snowball's chance in hell. If the player(s) they really want (e.g. Larkin, McCann) is/are taken, Holland will trade down to the tail end of the first round to recoup the second-round pick lost in the Legwand deal.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#38 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:11 PM

I'd do it, and I dont think it would be very crazy. Zetterberg is nearing the end of his career and Ekblad is a possible franchise defenseman.

I'm with you... the kid is 18 and already 6'4" and 216 lbs. I wouldn't even have to think twice to pull the trigger

#39 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:37 AM

Draft Tuch
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#40 STL-Wings

STL-Wings

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

The only way I see Z being traded is if we really sank low and we traded him to a team with a legit chance to win a Cup in his last year(s) and that is partly him asking the Red Wings to trade him.  I don't think he would.

As enticing as a 1st pick would be, Holland dumping Z, of all the players, in Florida doesn't strike me as going over well with this organization.  Nor would I think Florida would want Z over the first pick or one of our other players.  The other teams want Nyquist, Tatar, DK.  Just need to find a GM drunk enough to accept what we need to clean out...

But would def love to have the first pick.