• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

Did you just compare Zetterberg to Yzerman??

Why not? Most everyone else in this thread has gone absolutely bonkers and run off to some fantasy zone. Figured I’d just join in. 

But, if you could pull your chest feathers in for a minute, you’ll see that, from an organizational standpoint, 

Yzerman for Florida’s pick in 2002 : Bouwmeester

is comparable to trading

Zetterberg for Florida’s pick in 2014: Ekblad

Except we actually know that Bouwmeester at least turned into a top 4 D-man. 

Edited by rick zombo, 14 June 2014 - 01:17 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#42 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

Why not? Most everyone else in this thread has gone absolutely bonkers and run off to some fantasy zone. Figured Id just join in. 

But, if you could pull your chest feathers in for a minute, youll see that, from an organizational standpoint, 

Yzerman for Floridas pick in 2002 : Bouwmeester

is comparable to trading

Zetterberg for Floridas pick in 2014: Ekblad

Zetterberg is a good but not legendary captain in a post Lidstrom era and the Red Wings need to rebuild. So, no I dont see much similarity at all actually. Great rewards rarely come without risk, and in this case I think Ekblad could prove to be worth it.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#43 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

Zetterberg is a good but not legendary captain in a post Lidstrom era and the Red Wings need to rebuild. So, no I dont see much similarity at all actually. Great rewards rarely come without risk, and in this case I think Ekblad could prove to be worth it.

COULD. Could be a huge waste of talent too. Everyone's high on draft picks this time of year. Few come even close to Z or Y

#44 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

COULD. Could be a huge waste of talent too. Everyone's high on draft picks this time of year. Few come even close to Z or Y

Yes, Captain Obvious, if you want to play it safe this is not a deal for you. It's a risk, but a calculated one imo. I have never said otherwise.

#45 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

Yes, Captain Obvious, if you want to play it safe this is not a deal for you. It's a risk, but a calculated one imo. I have never said otherwise.

And there's a reason my point is obvious. Trading away your franchise player and captain for an overhyped draft pick isn't a calculated risk, it's NHL 14 fantasy la la land.

#46 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

I'm sorry, but are people suggesting we trade Z away just so we can acquire an overhyped up 18 year old? Call me stupid, but seriously? Why would you want to trade away our best player, leader and galvaniser? The man had back surgery for heavens sake and was still better than 90% of the team vs the Bruins when he came back a month early. I'll trade him away when he's retired. Thanks

temp 1

#47 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:55 PM

And there's a reason my point is obvious. Trading away your franchise player and captain for an overhyped draft pick isn't a calculated risk, it's NHL 14 fantasy la la land.

A captain that struggled last season with a back injury, a captain that might play three more season's if we are lucky. Overhyped? Ekblad is an exception player, first defenseman to gain this status ever. I'm not suggesting this particular trade necessarily, but I'm advocating that it could be an interesting possibility to trade up. OK, let's go back to discuss trading Franzen and some bottom six guy for top elite players, because that surely isn't NHL 14-esque at all.

Edited by RyanBarnes!, 17 June 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#48 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:13 AM

A captain that struggled last season with a back injury, a captain that might play three more season's if we are lucky. Overhyped? Ekblad is an exception player, first defenseman to gain this status ever. I'm not suggesting this particular trade necessarily, but I'm advocating that it could be an interesting possibility to trade up. OK, let's go back to discuss trading Franzen and some bottom six guy for top elite players, because that surely isn't NHL 14-esque at all.

I love the wings bc, despite his knees, they didn't trade Yzerman, and bc despite his back, they won't trade Zetterberg. If you want to root for a team that does that kind of thing, go be a deadmonton fan.

Oh, and Franzen + pieces won't get u ekblad unless this is NHL 14

#49 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:14 AM

I love the wings bc, despite his knees, they didn't trade Yzerman, and bc despite his back, they won't trade Zetterberg. If you want to root for a team that does that kind of thing, go be a deadmonton fan.

Oh, and Franzen + pieces won't get u ekblad unless this is NHL 14

I'll root for any team I want thank you. Zetterberg is nothing like Yzerman. To be succesful you must sometimes make hard decisions. At least we can agree that Franzen is not a tradable commodity then. That is something.

#50 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:30 AM

Let's trade away everyone over the age of 29, because who needs veteran leadership anyway?

And you never know what would have happened had they traded yzerman to pick bouwmeester.

Maybe bouwmeester doesn't turn out as good.

Maybe Lidstrom decided that he doesn't want to play for a team that would trade their captain of the last two decades for an unproven prospect and decides to just go back to sweden after his contract is up.

Maybe, were so spoiled as a fan base that we throw temper tantrums about the tiniest little things.

And if you're going to trade your best player, you don't do it for an Aaron ekblad, you do it for a Crosby, or mcdavid.
Someone where the risk is so low that youd be stupid not to.

#51 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:32 AM

I'm typically in the the trade propescts for proven players camp. I'm also ok with trading veteran guys so we can get highly rated propescts and picks in certain situations.

Guys like Franzen, Ericsson and kronwall I'd consider moving even though they're home grown.

Guys like Stevie, lids, z, dat I don't think I'd ever trade them. And that's because of attachment and loyalty. Some loyalty is good to certain players(holland is too loyal). I mean when dat has only one year left the hockey smart thing to do would be trade him for a first. But IMO you only do that if he requests a trade. Because of the loyalty and commitment of each side involved.

Guys like Franzen and Ericsson are not the face of the organization so it's much easier to part ways with them than say dat or z.

#52 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

Agreed.

#53 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

The Leafs are looking at dealing for the #1 pick. But rumor has it, the asking price is:

JVR + Gardiner + 1st rounder (8th overall)

And that "might" get it done. If this is true, then it's insane. Nonis would be crazy.

http://www.sportsnet...gh-to-get-no-1/

Said one senior exec: “I get the sense that [the No. 1 pick] is out there. [Pathers GM] Dale Tallon has all kinds of young players in the organization and wants to make the playoffs sooner rather than later. Still, Kadri in the package won’t get it done. JVR [LW James van Riemsdyk] might if he’s with the pick and Gardiner… or he might not. Tallon will wait it out to see what the best offer is. It’s a big one to sit tight and close on the floor but I wouldn’t rule it out.”

#54 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

Why not? Most everyone else in this thread has gone absolutely bonkers and run off to some fantasy zone. Figured I’d just join in. 

But, if you could pull your chest feathers in for a minute, you’ll see that, from an organizational standpoint, 

Yzerman for Florida’s pick in 2002 : Bouwmeester

is comparable to trading

Zetterberg for Florida’s pick in 2014: Ekblad

that would mean we are in full blown rebuilding mode, which means trade D, Z, jimmy, and possibly kronwall. (probably not kronwall though)

we have the rebuilding route or the win now route which is trade prospects like mantha, mrazek, 1st rounder, tatar, smith, calle (already did) for all star players that are like 30, kesler, spezza.

then there's the holland route, stay put, see how things play out and make the playoffs every year but wont be a top contender until its too late. (d and z are past elite)

my choice- sign callahan or gabs. dont trade top prospects or z. hopefully thats enough and we could make a run in the playoffs soon

#55 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

that would mean we are in full blown rebuilding mode, which means trade D, Z, jimmy, and possibly kronwall. (probably not kronwall though)

we have the rebuilding route or the win now route which is trade prospects like mantha, mrazek, 1st rounder, tatar, smith, calle (already did) for all star players that are like 30, kesler, spezza.

then there's the holland route, stay put, see how things play out and make the playoffs every year but wont be a top contender until its too late. (d and z are past elite)

my choice- sign callahan or gabs. dont trade top prospects or z. hopefully thats enough and we could make a run in the playoffs soon

For the record, it was pretty clear that I wasn't suggesting any type of team strategy. Just pointing out that under the circumstances, trading Z for Florida' #1 pick would be silly.

#56 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

Can anyone imagine though if we did do a Colorado and tanked the year and ended up with McDavid? 

temp 1

#57 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

For the record, it was pretty clear that I wasn't suggesting any type of team strategy. Just pointing out that under the circumstances, trading Z for Florida' #1 pick would be silly.

i agree, it would be silly. plus we are a playoff team so lets make some good off season moves and stay healthy and that should take us pretty far.

Can anyone imagine though if we did do a Colorado and tanked the year and ended up with McDavid? 

isnt that Edmontons plan?

#58 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

i agree, it would be silly. plus we are a playoff team so lets make some good off season moves and stay healthy and that should take us pretty far.

isnt that Edmontons plan?

Perhaps, but realistically, if we did tank, how would everyone feel? Would it decimate the fan base for instance? 

temp 1

#59 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

Perhaps, but realistically, if we did tank, how would everyone feel? Would it decimate the fan base for instance? 

O you mean the 50% of stadium that's filled of fans the other half empty? Lol one really bad year or 8 mediocre years? I'll take the one.

#60 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

O you mean the 50% of stadium that's filled of fans the other half empty? Lol one really bad year or 8 mediocre years? I'll take the one.

Well yea i was more referring to the fans that aren't at the rink (those that turn up)….

temp 1