• This topic is locked This topic is locked
129 replies to this topic

#61 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

Mike Richards could be a cheap option if Kesler or Spezza don't work out. Babs would love it. One of the best PK guys in the NHL, and he can also play on the wing. I've heard compliance buyout rumours

Edited by anthonyn66, 13 June 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#62 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:10 PM

+/- isn't a good stat when you're comparing players from different teams or when you're using a small sample size but over the course of a season you can easily see which players are on the ice for more goals for than against and vice versa.

Spezza had 66 pts this year and was a -26, nearly twice as bad as anyone playing on another line, and to make it worse according to advanced stat sites he didn't even play as tough of competition as Turris you finished +22. Spezza and his linemate Michalek were on the ice for more goals against than any other forwards in the entire NHL. In fact the Senators gave up almost twice as many goals with Spezza on the ice as they did when he was off it.

No matter how you spin it, Spezza's good offensive game doesn't make up for his horrific defensive lapses.

Not meaning to sound like an ass...But as others have said...+/- is a stat many take with a grain of salt...How was the rest of the team in Ottawa?

If we could fleece the Sens by dumping the Mule on them as part of a package for Spezza - well that would make me 1 happy camper...Chances are Holland wouldn't bite on that deal if it were possible.

EDIT - besides - I'm fairly indifferent to Spezza's defensive lapses; this team needs some forwards other than Dats/Hank who can generate offense.

Edited by F.Michael, 13 June 2014 - 01:34 PM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#63 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,950 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

Kesler for Spezza straight up. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#64 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

Kesler for Spezza straight up. 

Kesler has a no trade clause and wants to go to a contender.  Ottawa isn't one.  I don't think this trade would work EVEN IF Kesler didn't have an NTC considering there's no sense in either team getting rid of a player who doesn't want to be there in order to pick up another player who doesn't want to be there.  Neither of these guys requested trades so that they could go play for losers. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#65 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

He's only 30, so there's some good there.  I hate seeing the wings trading great talent for short-term contracts on aging forwards.

#66 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:28 PM

Spezza is a guy who wants out of Ottawa because he can't handle the finger being pointed at him when the team is losing. Is that the kind of guy some people really want to see here? He is getting paid to be a go to guy, but can't handle the pressure of being one. Let him go to Florida where nobody will care.

#67 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

Spezza is a guy who wants out of Ottawa because he can't handle the finger being pointed at him when the team is losing. Is that the kind of guy some people really want to see here? He is getting paid to be a go to guy, but can't handle the pressure of being one. Let him go to Florida where nobody will care.

Canadian fans and media alike are taking it way too far and its not like Ottawa and their fans are league wide known for loud support.

Spezza doesn't like the spotlight fans plus media have to accept that, period. If you can't even walk into a grocery store in peace something has to give and I would want out too. Add to that a crying poor but also media hungry owner and everyone should understand Spezza.

Edited by frankgrimes, 13 June 2014 - 05:45 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#68 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

Mike Richards could be a cheap option if Kesler or Spezza don't work out. Babs would love it. One of the best PK guys in the NHL, and he can also play on the wing. I've heard compliance buyout rumours

He's been trending down for a while now. Alarmingly so. At this point, he's a 3C on a playoff team and a 4C on a contender. Which might be ok if he were 35. But he's 29.

But I can see a number of teams paying him good money.

• Toronto's considering giving Bolland big money because they're desperate for a centerman who Knows What It Takes to Win, or whatever.
  • Nashville may lose Legwand and Laviolette knows Richards from their time together in Philly.
  • Ottawa's losing Spezza.
  • Vancouver may lose Kesler.
  • Colorado may lose Stastny.
  • Walt Disney of Columbia may lose Grabovski and they need good veteran leadership, guys who Know What It Takes to Win, or whatever.
  • Montreal doesn't actually have any centermen. It's an optical illusion.
  • Deadmonton.
  • All your 30-year-old free agents are belong to Minnesota.
  • Lon Gisland is, for all intents and purposes, an expansion team that's desperate for anyone with two arms and two legs.
  • SJ. (lolz)
  • Pittsburgh.
  • Derek Roy was a bust for St. Louis and they love them some GRIT and DEFENSE.
  • Philly knows him, probably regrets running him out of town for no good reason and watching him win a Cup or two.
  • Buffallow. (Clever, right?)
  • Winnipeg has two lines and Frolik.

Plus, Weiss - a somewhat similar player - has been a bust. You think Kenny's going to risk the same thing again? Nope!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#69 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

Spezza doesn't like the spotlight fans plus media have to accept that, period. If you can't even walk into a grocery store in peace something has to give and I would want out too.

Well, he was pretty open about wanting and deserving the captaincy. He felt he was ready to be The Guy and lead his team deep into the playoffs. Crazy attention and expectations kinda come with the territory in a Canadian market, maybe especially in Ottawa this past season, given the loss of Alfie and their surprising run last season and whatnot. So he pretty much asked for it. And he failed. Miserably.

But it's not all on him, and if he's disgruntled, that's probably why - and that's where I agree with where you're coming from. He's a scapegoat now. He's the symbol of everything that's wrong with the Sens, when, in fact, he's one of the few things that's right with them. If he stays? It's not going to get any better any time soon, and not because he's ZOMG A TERRIBLE CAPTAIN. It's because they have serious issues. For example, consider their long and disturbing history of "losing" (read: pushing out) their best talent. Chara, Hossa, Heatley, Gonchar, Alfredsson. And now Spezza.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#70 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

Spezza doesn't like the spotlight fans plus media have to accept that, period. If you can't even walk into a grocery store in peace something has to give and I would want out too.

Well, he was pretty open about wanting and deserving the captaincy. He felt he was ready to be The Guy and lead his team deep into the playoffs. Crazy attention and expectations kinda come with the territory in a Canadian market, maybe especially in Ottawa this past season, given the loss of Alfie and their surprising run last season and whatnot. So he pretty much asked for it. And he failed. Miserably.

But it's not all on him, and if he's disgruntled, that's probably why - and that's where I agree with where you're coming from. He's a scapegoat now. He's the symbol of everything that's wrong with the Sens, when, in fact, he's one of the few things that's right with them. If he stays? It's not going to get any better any time soon, and not because he's ZOMG A TERRIBLE CAPTAIN. It's because they have serious issues. For example, consider their long and disturbing history of "losing" (read: pushing out) their best talent. Chara, Hossa, Heatley, Gonchar, Alfredsson. And now Spezza.

Perfectly said just wanted to add it all starts at the top and Melnyk doesn't want to spend, so next in line will be Ryan.

kftx.jpg

#71 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

He's been trending down for a while now. Alarmingly so. At this point, he's a 3C on a playoff team and a 4C on a contender. Which might be ok if he were 35. But he's 29.

But I can see a number of teams paying him good money.

• Toronto's considering giving Bolland big money because they're desperate for a centerman who Knows What It Takes to Win, or whatever.
  • Nashville may lose Legwand and Laviolette knows Richards from their time together in Philly.
  • Ottawa's losing Spezza.
  • Vancouver may lose Kesler.
  • Colorado may lose Stastny.
  • Walt Disney of Columbia may lose Grabovski and they need good veteran leadership, guys who Know What It Takes to Win, or whatever.
  • Montreal doesn't actually have any centermen. It's an optical illusion.
  • Deadmonton.
  • All your 30-year-old free agents are belong to Minnesota.
  • Lon Gisland is, for all intents and purposes, an expansion team that's desperate for anyone with two arms and two legs.
  • SJ. (lolz)
  • Pittsburgh.
  • Derek Roy was a bust for St. Louis and they love them some GRIT and DEFENSE.
  • Philly knows him, probably regrets running him out of town for no good reason and watching him win a Cup or two.
  • Buffallow. (Clever, right?)
  • Winnipeg has two lines and Frolik.

Plus, Weiss - a somewhat similar player - has been a bust. You think Kenny's going to risk the same thing again? Nope!

He isn't given the minutes because Carter and Kopitar are #1 and #2. He'd be a #2 on our team for sure and would probably be a #2 on most other teams. That's what he's always been, he had the one year as a top line center but other than that he's a solid 2C who is a dream on the PK and has incredible leadership and work ethic. It was four years ago but Babcock singled him out on CBC at the Olympics as the guy who impressed him the most (like Babs did for Jamie Benn this year)

#72 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen believes that the Anaheim Ducks and St. Louis Blues are the favourites to get centre Jason Spezza from the Senators, with Nashville and Dallas as possibilities as well.

He adds that the price for Spezza will be younger players like Anaheim's Andrew Cogliano or Nick Bonino,

or Blues skaters Patrik Berglund, Kevin Shattenkirk or Ian Cole.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#73 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen believes that the Anaheim Ducks and St. Louis Blues are the favourites to get centre Jason Spezza from the Senators, with Nashville and Dallas as possibilities as well.

He adds that the price for Spezza will be younger players like Anaheim's Andrew Cogliano or Nick Bonino,

or Blues skaters Patrik Berglund, Kevin Shattenkirk or Ian Cole.

Yes those are the rumors and I expect him to head west. Just like I expect Kesler to head east.

#74 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

From TSN

Murray must subscribe to the Ottawa Citizen.

Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray says he has two "serious" offers on the table for Jason Spezza, as trade speculation regarding his team captain has intensified over the last week.

Murray told reporters on Thursday that he's still in talks regarding a trade for the 11-year NHL veteran and won't allow teams to talk to Spezza until he gets a deal done.

"I'm going to try to get value for Jason Spezza," he said, adding that the asking price will be a good player and a prospect.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#75 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

Murray is dealing from a position of weakness here he has a tight budget and knows players on elcs or young prospects are cheap in terms of salary. According to tsn Spezza has all Canadian teams on his list at some other bottom feeders. Good job Canadian media running a first line center out of town, last pizza liner gone

kftx.jpg

#76 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

Murray is dealing from a position of weakness here he has a tight budget and knows players on elcs or young prospects are cheap in terms of salary. According to tsn Spezza has all Canadian teams on his list at some other bottom feeders.Good job Canadian media running a first line center out of town, last pizza liner gone

No the maple leafs and Canadians aren't on there as it's expected they can't really afford to get him anyways but the test are.

Last rumors had stl and I can't remember the other the ducks maybe? As the favorites so I'm assuming the two deals are from them. Sadly it's not us :(

http://mynhltraderum...-the-islanders/

Edited by DeGraa55, 19 June 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#77 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

Whereever he ends up I hope he can walk into a grocery store there without being bothered by fans and just be a normal person off the ice. The Blues would be a fantastic fit for him, even if Spezza isn't a 200 ft player Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester will more than make up for some mistakes. Personally I also thought Nashville would be a good fit for him, elite defense and goaltending plus some young forwards who could need a veteran leader.

My list would be: Vancouver, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Florida, Buffalo, Phoenix, Carolina, New York Island, Canadiens

would he be a good fit here ? Yeah but we don't have the assets to aquire him and I highly doubt a guy like him accepts a third line center role behind Z and Pasha..

Edited by frankgrimes, 19 June 2014 - 02:46 PM.

kftx.jpg

#78 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

My money says he'll end up in Anaheim. Getzlaf and Spezza down the middle would be ridiculous

temp 1

#79 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:52 PM

I'd like to give Weiss 1 more 'healthy' season before declaring him a bust...Chances are you're probably right, but we'll see.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#80 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

Whereever he ends up I hope he can walk into a grocery store there without being bothered by fans and just be a normal person off the ice. The Blues would be a fantastic fit for him, even if Spezza isn't a 200 ft player Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester will more than make up for some mistakes. Personally I also thought Nashville would be a good fit for him, elite defense and goaltending plus some young forwards who could need a veteran leader.

My list would be: Vancouver, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Florida, Buffalo, Phoenix, Carolina, New York Island, Canadiens

would he be a good fit here ? Yeah but we don't have the assets to aquire him and I highly doubt a guy like him accepts a third line center role behind Z and Pasha..

Winnipeg treats their players great. When I was living there up until about 7 months ago I'd seen Jets players in public and they don't even get bothered at all. Andrew Ladd likes Pretzelmaker... everyone let the guy wander the mall and enjoy the hell out of that pretzel and he's the captain.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.