• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Wings sign Tomas Nosek to 2 year entry level deal

Rate this topic

Guest DeGraa55

Legwand! Modano! Abdelkater? Rafalski!

Legwand and Modena were less than half a season but ya any believe iforgot other two lol.

Michigan is at least an area where there is a large pool of talent. Not many other American locations can claim that.

I like how the Wings are able to draw on it (not from Michigan myself). Kinda like the Habs of old without the attitude and politics.

Who cares where a person was born? They sign the best available players. It could be none of the local boys were as good.

For me and some very good friends (both male + female) this is very important, because it helps building that "us" feeling with a club. Just look at how much people are already liking Dekeyser and it will only get better as he improves. I didn't want to mention the Habs because for them it's not "doing the right thing" driven its politically driven and thats hugely different to just wanting some local heroes on your team.

Anyway I guess the michigan boys on this forum will know better how important that is for them :-)

As for non of the local boys being as good well how do you/we know if they aren't getting a chance?

Edited by frankgrimes

all of them. None of them helped us win a Cup...i am all for signing him to develop in GR, but we have no room for another undrafted European experiment on the big club. I'd rather give the spot to Mantha.

Considering his agent said the reason he signed with us is to develop like Jurco did under Blashill I don't think you need to worry about him taking a spot on the big club.

He'll make Grand Rapids a better club next season.

Detroit local I'm not saying all guys should be local because that would be almost impossible even at the AHL level but a better mix between euros and detroit area players would be nice.

Maybe for the fans and community, on some emotional level. But would it give us a better team than we'd otherwise have? Would it give us a competitive advantage? I'm not trying to be a debbie downer. I just think, at this level (the AHL and NHL), that kind of thing is mostly arbitrary. At the end of the day, you're trying to put together the best team you can. Yes, there will be leanings, like a skill team favoring skill players and a big, physical team wanting big, physical players - but that's what should be happening. That's how you shape your team. You don't set a quota for local guys just for the sake of having local guys.

The thing with the Wings' Euro-love is there was a good reason for it. They saw a way to get ahead of the curve and gain a competitive advantage by exploring and exploiting avenues other organizations weren't all that interested in. That set the foundation for the next 20+ years. But now that competitive advantage is largely gone. People know gems can be found in obscure Scandinavian towns. People know skill and puck possession are paramount. For this reason and others (e.g. the rise of USA Hockey), I think we're going to see things even out a bit more in terms of our Euro-NA ratio.

It's a win-win signing. As someone else said, all the hype that comes along with these kids is unfair. Brunner and Leino both helped the team in ways - heck, I still remember Leino spin-o-rama goal. The issue is expecting them to come in and produce like top 6 guys.

GR has lost a fair bit of talent without replacing it. Tvrdon was sent back to juniors, Frk struggled (as is expected) and who knows if Callahan, Ferraro and/or Nestrasil will be retained. Pulkkinen will be fine, but Mantha and Athanasiou are going to be in their first year of pro hockey. Could use a player to bolster the top 6 down there - get a chance to see how he transitions.

For me and some very good friends (both male + female) this is very important, because it helps building that "us" feeling with a club. Just look at how much people are already liking Dekeyser and it will only get better as he improves. I didn't want to mention the Habs because for them it's not "doing the right thing" driven its politically driven and thats hugely different to just wanting some local heroes on your team.

Anyway I guess the michigan boys on this forum will know better how important that is for them :-)

As for non of the local boys being as good well how do you/we know if they aren't getting a chance?

The problem with the "us" feeling is it doesn't win hockey games. If the scouts say the euro is better than the michigan boy, I'll take the euro 10 times out of 10. That's how we know even if they're "not getting a chance."

As far as Dekeyser, sure it's cool he grew up a wings fan in Detroit but I don't think that's anyones reasoning for liking him. Personally I like him because he came out of college and was immediately a solid shut down defenseman in the NHL and that's not an easy jump to make. He's a good hockey player and has become an important part of this team and will be for a long time. That has nothing to do with the fact that he's from Michigan. It doesn't matter where they're from, they all play for Detroit now and that's enough of an "us" feeling for me.

Holland: Hello? Mr. I? Ya, I did what you said and signed Tomas Nosek...ya...Nosek...Tomas. That guy you told me to sign. Yes, him...what? Tomas Nosek. Excuse me? Who? Vanek? Shoot! Darn! Darn! Darn! Sorry Sir...

Mr. I: You f***ing idiot...(click)

Holland: Hello? Mr. I? Ya, I did what you said and signed Tomas Nosek...ya...Nosek...Tomas. That guy you told me to sign. Yes, him...what? Tomas Nosek. Excuse me? Who? Vanek? Shoot! Darn! Darn! Darn! Sorry Sir...

I'd probably rather have nosek and his minuscule contract, instead of ghost vanek and his large cap

I'd probably rather have nosek and his minuscule contract, instead of ghost vanek and his large cap

I wouldn't mind his cap hit if the term is right. $7M x 3 years would be tempting, and I actually don't think it's all that unrealistic.

Nosek ready to 'get a shot' at NHL [Red Wings Central]

“He’s versatile, he can play center, wing, top six, bottom six, whatever the need is,” said Red Wings director of player development Jiri Fischer. “He kills penalties, takes faceoffs, plays on the power play. He’s a guy who fits in with teammates on all lines and that’s exciting.”

“He led his team in every situation, from PK to PP, five-on-five,” Fischer said. “He’s strong on the puck, he’s a very good playmaker, very smart. He’s good defensively and he doesn’t cheat or cut corners. He’s a distributor of the puck, he can hold onto it down low, but he can also make good plays in traffic. Puck skills are very good.”

Fischer said Nosek will need to continue working on his skating and shot release to have success at the NHL level, in addition to overcoming the usual obstacles of transitioning from Europe to North America. But Nosek’s projection is that of a player in high demand in the NHL these days.

“I hope he’s going to be a strong two-way center that can play against top opposition and handle the big forwards on other teams and take faceoffs in key moments and help on the PP,” Fischer said.

“He’s certainly going to get an opportunity — he’s going to be in the mix depending on what the next couple of weeks and free agency bring,” Fischer said. “How he adjusts on the smaller ice, the speed going both ways … that’s to be determined. But I do expect and I really believe he’s going to come in ready and get a shot. We’ll see what the coaching staff and Mike Babcock think.”

Edited by Dabura

Sounds like Jiri is very high on this kid. "I hope he’s going to be a strong two-way center that can play against top opposition and handle the big forwards on other teams and take faceoffs in key moments and help on the PP" is pretty heavy stuff.

Edited by Dabura

Sounds like Jiri is very high on this kid. "I hope hes going to be a strong two-way center that can play against top opposition and handle the big forwards on other teams and take faceoffs in key moments and help on the PP" is pretty heavy stuff.

Yeah I was kinda Colin Campbell Jared Coreau about this kid, but now I feel more Danny DeKeyser about him, even if he starts in GR

This is just blind hatred at this point. It's not even FA yet and you're mad about signings.