Photo
- - - - -

Wings sign Tomas Nosek to 2 year entry level deal

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:16 PM

Holland: Hello? Mr. I? Ya, I did what you said and signed Tomas Nosek...ya...Nosek...Tomas. That guy you told me to sign. Yes, him...what? Tomas Nosek. Excuse me? Who? Vanek? Shoot! Darn! Darn! Darn! Sorry Sir...

Mr. I: You f***ing idiot...(click)

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#42 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

Holland: Hello? Mr. I? Ya, I did what you said and signed Tomas Nosek...ya...Nosek...Tomas. That guy you told me to sign. Yes, him...what? Tomas Nosek. Excuse me? Who? Vanek? Shoot! Darn! Darn! Darn! Sorry Sir...

I'd probably rather have nosek and his minuscule contract, instead of ghost vanek and his large cap

#43 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,196 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

It's official.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#44 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,196 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

I'd probably rather have nosek and his minuscule contract, instead of ghost vanek and his large cap

I wouldn't mind his cap hit if the term is right. $7M x 3 years would be tempting, and I actually don't think it's all that unrealistic.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#45 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

Signing this guy replaces our lost second round pick....well done, Kenny Holland

Edited by Shinzaki, 14 June 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#46 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,196 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

Signing this guy replaces our lost second round pick....well done, Kenny Holland

Hadn't thought of it that way. Huh.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#47 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,196 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

Nosek ready to 'get a shot' at NHL [Red Wings Central]

“He’s versatile, he can play center, wing, top six, bottom six, whatever the need is,” said Red Wings director of player development Jiri Fischer. “He kills penalties, takes faceoffs, plays on the power play. He’s a guy who fits in with teammates on all lines and that’s exciting.”

“He led his team in every situation, from PK to PP, five-on-five,” Fischer said. “He’s strong on the puck, he’s a very good playmaker, very smart. He’s good defensively and he doesn’t cheat or cut corners. He’s a distributor of the puck, he can hold onto it down low, but he can also make good plays in traffic. Puck skills are very good.”

Fischer said Nosek will need to continue working on his skating and shot release to have success at the NHL level, in addition to overcoming the usual obstacles of transitioning from Europe to North America. But Nosek’s projection is that of a player in high demand in the NHL these days.

“I hope he’s going to be a strong two-way center that can play against top opposition and handle the big forwards on other teams and take faceoffs in key moments and help on the PP,” Fischer said.

“He’s certainly going to get an opportunity — he’s going to be in the mix depending on what the next couple of weeks and free agency bring,” Fischer said. “How he adjusts on the smaller ice, the speed going both ways … that’s to be determined. But I do expect and I really believe he’s going to come in ready and get a shot. We’ll see what the coaching staff and Mike Babcock think.”

Edited by Dabura, 14 June 2014 - 07:45 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#48 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,196 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

Sounds like Jiri is very high on this kid. "I hope he’s going to be a strong two-way center that can play against top opposition and handle the big forwards on other teams and take faceoffs in key moments and help on the PP" is pretty heavy stuff.

Edited by Dabura, 14 June 2014 - 07:57 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#49 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

Sounds like Jiri is very high on this kid. "I hope hes going to be a strong two-way center that can play against top opposition and handle the big forwards on other teams and take faceoffs in key moments and help on the PP" is pretty heavy stuff.

Yeah I was kinda Colin Campbell Jared Coreau about this kid, but now I feel more Danny DeKeyser about him, even if he starts in GR

This is just blind hatred at this point. It's not even FA yet and you're mad about signings.

#50 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:16 PM

He's the next Ciccarelli *gives out grains of salt*

#51 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

Who cares where a person was born? They sign the best available players. It could be none of the local boys were as good.

For me and some very good friends (both male + female) this is very important, because it helps building that "us" feeling with a club. Just look at how much people are already liking Dekeyser and it will only get better as he improves. I didn't want to mention the Habs because for them it's not "doing the right thing" driven its politically driven and thats hugely different to just wanting some local heroes on your team.

Anyway I guess the michigan boys on this forum will know better how important that is for them :-)

As for non of the local boys being as good well how do you/we know if they aren't getting a chance?

I'd rather win with nobody from Michigan on the team than lose with a half dozen local boys. This isn't juniors or college.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#52 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

Nothing against him and my local team has done something similar and I hated it. Why not give the job to good ol Michigan boy ? I think the Wings are running the risk of becoming a very european dominated organisation, where are - save for Dekeyser - are the upcoming local heroes?

In my book If you live and work in Detroit, you're a Detroiter.

#53 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

Yep..if you wear that winged wheel...I root for you...even Franzen. 

Tatar...Nosek...Juurco.  The "Czeching Line"

#54 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

For me and some very good friends (both male + female) this is very important, because it helps building that "us" feeling with a club. Just look at how much people are already liking Dekeyser and it will only get better as he improves. I didn't want to mention the Habs because for them it's not "doing the right thing" driven its politically driven and thats hugely different to just wanting some local heroes on your team.

Anyway I guess the michigan boys on this forum will know better how important that is for them :-)

As for non of the local boys being as good well how do you/we know if they aren't getting a chance?

Who says they aren't getting a chance?  You think Wings scouts travel the entire world scouring for future talent, but don't bother to check around the metro area?

I know it's cool to have a local guy on the team, but you don't go out of your way to sign someone of lesser talent just because they're local.  I know it's important for "Michigan boys" to feel like they're specially chosen, but maybe that's the problem. If their only shot is getting picked because they're local, they might not be good enough.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#55 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,196 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:35 PM

Yeah I was kinda Colin Campbell Jared Coreau about this kid, but now I feel more Danny DeKeyser about him, even if he starts in GR

I'm thinking this kid, if he's as good as advertised, might be the real reason why Kenny was willing to part with Jarnkrok. Sounds like he gives us a reasonably high-end natural center in the pipeline and he sort of recoups the lost second-rounder. Also makes me wonder if David Pastrnak - who I love - might be our first-round target in the draft.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#56 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

If our European scouts see something in this kid I'm going to trust them. They have had enough success to warrant my respect. You can never have too many throws at the bull's eye. Good signing!

#57 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:52 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if they signed another Euro Free Agent

#58 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:02 AM

Who says they aren't getting a chance?  You think Wings scouts travel the entire world scouring for future talent, but don't bother to check around the metro area?

I know it's cool to have a local guy on the team, but you don't go out of your way to sign someone of lesser talent just because they're local.  I know it's important for "Michigan boys" to feel like they're specially chosen, but maybe that's the problem. If their only shot is getting picked because they're local, they might not be good enough.

I wish Holland had signed Mike Grier, back when he was a free agent, and like always, the Wings were needing big, physical right handed shooter.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#59 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:15 AM

It's a free chance to get another rooster player maybe even more in a couple of years so there is nothing wrong with this signing. Well done Red Wings. 

As for the homegrown thing : It's what annoys me most about European soccer fans. That kind of thing what I call " local nationalism", that can be felt underneath the surface of most soccer games and ultimately leads to the infamous riots during and after the game. Why does it matter from where someone is from as long as he plays for the team you're cheering for ? 

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#60 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:49 AM

I wouldn't mind his cap hit if the term is right. $7M x 3 years would be tempting, and I actually don't think it's all that unrealistic.

Didn't his agent say he was looking for $50 mil over 7 years?  Unless he was just saying that to get off the Island, there's no way he'd drop his demands from that to a 3 year deal.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!