Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

Avalanche are taking Ryan O'Reilly to club-selected arbitration

Rate this topic

source: Bob McKenzie

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=454904

Anyway this screams for some question:

1. what does "club selected" mean?

2. argueing against ROR after this season uh oh not very well done by the Avalanche. If I were him it would piss me off endlessly and I'd tell my agent to get me out of here as soon as possible (sign the shortest possible contract and become UFA).

does this also mean that ROR has to sign whatever offer the Avalanche are presenting him with?

Questions over questions the offseason just got a bit more interesting leaguewide.

Edited by frankgrimes

1. I don't know for sure either but probably that the Avalanche appealed first and not the player/his agent. Maybe there is also a clause in his current contract that under specific circumstances the club can do it if they can't agree on a new one.

2. I agree, its strange to say the least. You would think that the Avanlache would resign him in a heartbeat. I would if I were them. On the other hand : We don't know what salary or term ROR wants, it is also possible that he demands to much for the Avs to agree on.

Edited by derblaueClaus

1. I don't know for sure either but probably that the Avalanche appealed first and not the player/his agent. Maybe there is also a clause in his current contract that under specific circumstances the club can do it if they can't agree on a new one.

2. I agree, its strange to say the least. You would think that the Avanlache would resign him in a heartbeat. I would if I were them. On the other hand : We don't what salary or term ROR wants, it is also possible that he demands to much for the Avs to agree on.

Just found out, that this doesn't prevent the player from offer-sheets anymore so even less usage for doing something like that.

Yeah I agree with that, the guy is a very rare talent very dangerous winger and can play defense too soI think 6,5 is a fair asking price. I guess it will play out like this:

he doesn't like the award, will sign the shortest possible deal and go to UFA asap which is not a bad thing I'd love to have him as a Wing.

Just found out, that this doesn't prevent the player from offer-sheets anymore so even less usage for doing something like that.

Yeah I agree with that, the guy is a very rare talent very dangerous winger and can play defense too soI think 6,5 is a fair asking price. I guess it will play out like this:

he doesn't like the award, will sign the shortest possible deal and go to UFA asap which is not a bad thing I'd love to have him as a Wing.

He might end up signing an offer sheet for the salary he wants and at that point he either moves on or Colorado matches.

I'd easily give him 7 to play for the wings. ROR is exactly the player any team needs to be successful. He scores while playing unreal D - is young (23) and I believe is 6'0 200lbs. He will only get better.

I'd have no problem paying him that as a Free Agent, but we couldn't sign him to an offer sheet for that value because we don't have our 2nd round pick, which would be required for compensation.

Honestly though if Colorado is having trouble signing him taking the compensatory picks would probably be as good of a return as you could hope for. At 7 million a season they would get Two 1st round picks, a 2nd and a 3rd rounder.

Guest DeGraa55

I'd easily give him 7 to play for the wings. ROR is exactly the player any team needs to be successful. He scores while playing unreal D - is young (23) and I believe is 6'0 200lbs. He will only get better.

I completely agree plus he used to play center so instead of Anderson on top line in a pinch he could fill in!!

I completely agree plus he used to play center so instead of Anderson on top line in a pinch he could fill in!!

The only way we can get him is by waiting 2 years or trading for his rights and hoping he'd sign a long term deal with us.

I think there was a clause that was entered into the CBA after the 04/05 lockout that stated a club could elect to take a player to salary arbitration….don't ask me for more specific details though.

I'd take ROR in a heartbeat.

Guest DeGraa55

The only way we can get him is by waiting 2 years or trading for his rights and hoping he'd sign a long term deal with us.

Ya I don't see us getting him just another wish list type player!

Can't say I really blame Colorado for taking this route. Second line centers shouldn't be making close to 7 million as RFAs.

The Sky is the limit for this kid, big, unbelievable talented, hard worker (on the ice and gymfreak) if the Avalanche aren't willing to pay him another team for sure will and rightfully so.

If guys like Nash and Vanek are woth 7 + O'Reilly is easily worth 6,5 per

The Sky is the limit for this kid, big, unbelievable talented, hard worker (on the ice and gymfreak) if the Avalanche aren't willing to pay him another team for sure will and rightfully so.

If guys like Nash and Vanek are woth 7 + O'Reilly is easily worth 6,5 per

And I think that last sentence is precisely the problem. Nash and Vanek AREN'T worth $7m +, its just that some idiot decided they were and now everyone else wants more. Sorry I'm ranting about how I hate inflated salaries.

What do we think happens with him? He gets really pissed at Colorado for messing him around 2 years ago, and now they're trying to reduce his salary? What are the options here?

And I think that last sentence is precisely the problem. Nash and Vanek AREN'T worth $7m +, its just that some idiot decided they were and now everyone else wants more. Sorry I'm ranting about how I hate inflated salaries.

What do we think happens with him? He gets really pissed at Colorado for messing him around 2 years ago, and now they're trying to reduce his salary? What are the options here?

It's a lose lose situation for the Avalanche, O'Reilly will be extremely pissed no matter what the arbitrator awards him, takes the shortest contract lenght and then decides to walk away from arbitration next year basically making him an UFA. The Avalanche brought this to themselves.

So yeah it will be very interesting that's for sure newport is not going to like this, niether will O'Reilly or his dad.

It's a lose lose situation for the Avalanche, O'Reilly will be extremely pissed no matter what the arbitrator awards him, takes the shortest contract lenght and then decides to walk away from arbitration next year basically making him an UFA. The Avalanche brought this to themselves.

So yeah it will be very interesting that's for sure newport is not going to like this, niether will O'Reilly or his dad.

Yup, will definitely be an interesting situation to keep an eye on. Although it makes me wonder, why him? What has he done? demanded more than they think he's worth? Is he a bad presence in the locker room?

Yup, will definitely be an interesting situation to keep an eye on. Although it makes me wonder, why him? What has he done? demanded more than they think he's worth? Is he a bad presence in the locker room?

Good question I think the Avalanche are trying to set the "Landeskog cap" which will never work with guys like O'Reilly. They don't want to pay him his 6,5 million per but he now knows that other teams are willing to pay that for his services so why should he settle for less ? The Penguins should be all over this can you imagine O'Reilly as a Winger for Crosby or Malkin? That's unbelievable scary

Guest DeGraa55

Good question I think the Avalanche are trying to set the "Landeskog cap" which will never work with guys like O'Reilly. They don't want to pay him his 6,5 million per but he now knows that other teams are willing to pay that for his services so why should he settle for less ? The Penguins should be all over this can you imagine O'Reilly as a Winger for Crosby or Malkin? That's unbelievable scary

Or us....he is the top six winger WE NEED.

He's not worth close to $7 mil. Maybe in a couple years, but not now.

6,5 is not close to 7 million. Calgary and others were willing to pay him that so his market value is 6,5 million. The Avalanche may not like it, fine then don't pay him and let him become UFA not that hard to figure out.

RYAN: "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." I can do those things, because I'm not a hero, not like Duchy. I lost the Minnesota series. That's what I can be.

GENERAL MANAGER JOE SAKIC: No, you can't! You're not!

RYAN: I'm whatever Denver needs me to be. Call it in.

GENERAL MANAGER JOE SAKIC: They'll hunt you.

RYAN: You'll hunt me. You'll condemn me, set the dogs on me. Because that's what needs to happen. Because sometimes the truth isn't good enough. Sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded.

SAKIC'S SON: Ryan? Ryan! Why is he running, Dad?

GENERAL MANAGER JOE SAKIC: Because we have to chase him.

SAKIC'S SON: He didn't do anything wrong.

GENERAL MANAGER JOE SAKIC: Because he's the hero Denver deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a two-way dynamo. A Lady Byng candidate. A Hard Day's Knight.

SAKIC'S SON: That sounds like a lot of bulls***.

GENERAL MANAGER JOE SAKIC: It is.

He's not worth close to $7 mil. Maybe in a couple years, but not now.

6,5 is not close to 7 million. Calgary and others were willing to pay him that so his market value is 6,5 million. The Avalanche may not like it, fine then don't pay him and let him become UFA not that hard to figure out.

Do you mean 6.5 mil or 6 years 5 mil or 5 years 6 mil? 6, 5 is a bit confusing.