• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,055 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

RYAN: "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." I can do those things, because I'm not a hero, not like Duchy. I lost the Minnesota series. That's what I can be.

GENERAL MANAGER JOE SAKIC: No, you can't! You're not!

RYAN: I'm whatever Denver needs me to be. Call it in.

GENERAL MANAGER JOE SAKIC: They'll hunt you.

RYAN: You'll hunt me. You'll condemn me, set the dogs on me. Because that's what needs to happen. Because sometimes the truth isn't good enough. Sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded.

SAKIC'S SON: Ryan? Ryan! Why is he running, Dad?

GENERAL MANAGER JOE SAKIC: Because we have to chase him.

SAKIC'S SON: He didn't do anything wrong.

GENERAL MANAGER JOE SAKIC: Because he's the hero Denver deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a two-way dynamo. A Lady Byng candidate. A Hard Day's Knight.

SAKIC'S SON: That sounds like a lot of bulls***.

GENERAL MANAGER JOE SAKIC: It is.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#22 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

He's not worth close to $7 mil. Maybe in a couple years, but not now.

6,5 is not close to 7 million. Calgary and others were willing to pay him that so his market value is 6,5 million. The Avalanche may not like it, fine then don't pay him and let him become UFA not that hard to figure out.

Do you mean 6.5 mil or 6 years 5 mil or 5 years 6 mil? 6, 5 is a bit confusing.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#23 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

...and I thought the ROR saga wouldn't get any messier with Feaster's bungle last year...

In case you were unaware, I'm a fan of this guy. 

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#24 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

Didn't be make 6 million this past reason?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#25 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

Didn't be make 6 million this past reason?

$6,500,000 to be exact.  Backloaded two year deal.  $5 million cap hit.

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#26 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

Wonder what he will end up with considering he had a break out year and was already making some good bank
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#27 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

$6,500,000 to be exact.  Backloaded two year deal.  $5 million cap hit.

So they did it to themselves and this is their way of trying take advantage of the cap rules like New Jersey did with Ilya.

#28 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

So they did it to themselves and this is their way of trying take advantage of the cap rules like New Jersey did with Ilya.

They offer-sheeted themselves?  They may have accepted the deal but it's not like they had many options...

ROR knew the risks and possible consequences of future negotiations when he signed that offer sheet.

This is the fallout...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#29 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:18 PM

They offer-sheeted themselves?  They may have accepted the deal but it's not like they had many options...

ROR knew the risks and possible consequences of future negotiations when he signed that offer sheet.

This is the fallout...

Crap I completely forgot about that...I thought they offered the two year deal...two years is a long time completely forgot!!! Well year and half

#30 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:23 PM

This is the fallout...

What risks ? ROR and his agent now are knowing other teams are willing to pay him, I'm sure he is willing to take a small paycut in order to stay but going from 6,5 to the Landeskogcap is more than just a small paycut, in fact it is a pretty significant one.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#31 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:41 PM

What risks ? ROR and his agent now are knowing other teams are willing to pay him, I'm sure he is willing to take a small paycut in order to stay but going from 6,5 to the Landeskogcap is more than just a small paycut, in fact it is a pretty significant one.

Just to be clear...ROR isn't getting paid 6.5 million because he is worth that.  He got that because Feaster tried his best to screw Colorado and make it an undesirable contract.

It was backloaded so his minimum qualifying offer has to be at least 6.5 million.  Colorado is doing their best to correct the situation.  Which makes complete sense.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#32 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

Just to be clear...ROR isn't getting paid 6.5 million because he is worth that.  He got that because Feaster tried his best to screw Colorado and make it an undesirable contract.

It was backloaded so his minimum qualifying offer has to be at least 6.5 million.  Colorado is doing their best to correct the situation.  Which makes complete sense.

How does it make sense? Arbiration is only accomplishing one thing: pissing off the player endlessly do you think Weber signed the enormous offersheet because he wanted to remain a Predator after they took their captain and best player to arbitration? Hardly.

From a business point of view the Avalanche are doing the right thing but hockey is bigger than business, there are also things like relationships, integrity and honesty. If that bridge is burned now O'Reilly will walk at the earliest option and have at least 20 teams offering him the moon. He knows it, his agent knows it  so the Avalanche aren't doing themselves any favors here.

kftx.jpg

#33 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

How does it make sense? Arbiration is only accomplishing one thing: pissing off the player endlessly do you think Weber signed the enormous offersheet because he wanted to remain a Predator after they took their captain and best player to arbitration? Hardly.

From a business point of view the Avalanche are doing the right thing but hockey is bigger than business, there are also things like relationships, integrity and honesty. If that bridge is burned now O'Reilly will walk at the earliest option and have at least 20 teams offering him the moon. He knows it, his agent knows it  so the Avalanche aren't doing themselves any favors here.

and signing a bloated offer sheet with a conference rival just screams "integrity, honesty and respect for relationships"...

Vince Lombardi

#34 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

and signing a bloated offer sheet with a conference rival just screams "integrity, honesty and respect for relationships"...

If you don't get what you want from your current team why not? O'Reilly owns them nothing and they don't owe him anything

kftx.jpg

#35 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

If you don't get what you want from your current team why not? O'Reilly owns them nothing and they don't owe him anything

Neither party has done the other any favors. Eventually ROR will depart from Colorado, end of story.

#36 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

Get it done Kenny

#37 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

Neither party has done the other any favors. Eventually ROR will depart from Colorado, end of story.

Hopefully he departs to an old rival.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#38 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

O'Reilly + Kesler + Niskanen = Cup. 

It's fun to dream. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#39 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:18 PM

It was a business decision for O'Reilly to sign the offersheet with Calgary.  Nothing more, nothing less.

It was a business decision for the Avs to take him to arbitration. Nothing more, nothing less.

If O'Reilly really wants/ed to be a number one center on a lesser team.  So be it but, he should look around and realize what they're trying to build in Colorado and tell his agent to f*** off for a bit. 

If the Avalanche can take a little more time and gather up a few more pieces.  Specifically on defense. 

You might be looking at Colorado Avalanche Cup Winner, Ryan O'Reilly.  Wouldn't that look nice on your resume, Ryan?

...and that, sir... can get you a far greater payday than some half-baked offer-sheet from a franchise in the midst of a lengthy rebuild.

O'Reilly + Kesler + Niskanen = Cup. 

It's fun to dream. 

jaws83.jpg?w=500

#40 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:55 AM

It was a business decision for O'Reilly to sign the offersheet with Calgary.  Nothing more, nothing less.

It was a business decision for the Avs to take him to arbitration. Nothing more, nothing less.

If O'Reilly really wants/ed to be a number one center on a lesser team.  So be it but, he should look around and realize what they're trying to build in Colorado and tell his agent to f*** off for a bit. 

If the Avalanche can take a little more time and gather up a few more pieces.  Specifically on defense. 

You might be looking at Colorado Avalanche Cup Winner, Ryan O'Reilly.  Wouldn't that look nice on your resume, Ryan?

...and that, sir... can get you a far greater payday than some half-baked offer-sheet from a franchise in the midst of a lengthy rebuild.

jaws83.jpg?w=500

I think a lot of players like ROR hope their career will take them till they are 40, but know that there's also a very good chance that won't happen. Injuries, sudden drop in talent, COL might not gett that cup for a while, or even in his lifetime.. I don't think there's anything wrong with him wanting to get paid now to help his future, but as a fan watching cap numbers it would irk me if I lived in Colorado too.