• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:10 AM

I think a lot of players like ROR hope their career will take them till they are 40, but know that there's also a very good chance that won't happen. Injuries, sudden drop in talent, COL might not gett that cup for a while, or even in his lifetime.. I don't think there's anything wrong with him wanting to get paid now to help his future, but as a fan watching cap numbers it would irk me if I lived in Colorado too.

He's being paid $6.5 million the past season, cap geek has his career earnings already at $12.5 million! Seriously, only a few people ever get to earn that kind of money. I'm sure an extra $1mil less isn't going to kill him just to get his name on the cup

temp 1

#42 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:41 AM

He's being paid $6.5 million the past season, cap geek has his career earnings already at $12.5 million! Seriously, only a few people ever get to earn that kind of money. I'm sure an extra $1mil less isn't going to kill him just to get his name on the cup

Wanting to get paid what you are worth is not being gready, it's the reality thanks to the last lockout. Why should players give their teams any favors ? A NHL career can be very long but it can also be very short so these guys need to make a lot of money, which they obviously do. But seriously if his market value is around 6,5 per and the Avalanche expect a 1 million hometown discount it's not going to happen neither should it. Yeah, Landeskog signed for less but that doesn't mean that O'Reilly has to do the same.

Guy would be the perfect winger for Crosby so hopefully the Pens aren't getting him.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#43 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:29 AM

Wanting to get paid what you are worth is not being gready, it's the reality thanks to the last lockout. Why should players give their teams any favors ? A NHL career can be very long but it can also be very short so these guys need to make a lot of money, which they obviously do. But seriously if his market value is around 6,5 per and the Avalanche expect a 1 million hometown discount it's not going to happen neither should it. Yeah, Landeskog signed for less but that doesn't mean that O'Reilly has to do the same.

Guy would be the perfect winger for Crosby so hopefully the Pens aren't getting him.

While that;s what the market might have become, do you think you could survive quite happily on $12.5 million for another 40 years? I think I could. I'm just saying. 

temp 1

#44 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:42 AM

While that;s what the market might have become, do you think you could survive quite happily on $12.5 million for another 40 years? I think I could. I'm just saying. 

For sure but let's be honest if you have the realistic chance to make around 42 million with a long-term contract instead of lets say 30 for sure you take the better option. Like I said I really understand why players aren't doing favors anymore the Gms can thank a certain new York lawyer for this.

I mean lets say the Avs get the arbitration reduced to 5,5 the relationship is ruined and O'Reilly will bolt at his first chance which will not leave a good impression on other ufas.

kftx.jpg

#45 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:53 AM

For sure but let's be honest if you have the realistic chance to make around 42 million with a long-term contract instead of lets say 30 for sure you take the better option. Like I said I really understand why players aren't doing favors anymore the Gms can thank a certain new York lawyer for this.I mean lets say the Avs get the arbitration reduced to 5,5 the relationship is ruined and O'Reilly will bolt at his first chance which will not leave a good impression on other ufas.

I think he will be gone once he is a UFA anyways.

#46 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:58 AM

For sure but let's be honest if you have the realistic chance to make around 42 million with a long-term contract instead of lets say 30 for sure you take the better option. Like I said I really understand why players aren't doing favors anymore the Gms can thank a certain new York lawyer for this.I mean lets say the Avs get the arbitration reduced to 5,5 the relationship is ruined and O'Reilly will bolt at his first chance which will not leave a good impression on other ufas.

I think he will be gone once he is a UFA anyways.

As would most others if they don't feel appreciated or fairly valued. Yes these guys are multi millionaires but other than that they are just like you and me, wanting to feel appreciated and work in a desirable environment.

Its not like the Avs are near the cap so they can easily up their offer they just don't want to do it which is also fine, sign O'Reilly to a one year contract then and let him become Ufa.

kftx.jpg

#47 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

The smart move for the Avs is to trade him. He is young-23, already proven, and there is bad blood building up. They need help on D. ROR would get them the help they need. Otherwise they risk losing him for nothing in a year.

#48 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

The smart move for the Avs is to trade him. He is young-23, already proven, and there is bad blood building up. They need help on D. ROR would get them the help they need. Otherwise they risk losing him for nothing in a year.

Indeed. Trade him over to us. :)

temp 1

#49 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

Given the way their off-season relationship has gone, you'd really think would be the logical route. There have to be some underlying issues there - the whole thing is kind of bizarre to me. Cut ties and address a point of weakness (defense) on your team at the same time.