• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SteelTownWingsFan

Shawn Thornton will not be returning to the Bruins

Rate this topic

Guest DeGraa55

I like Thornton and I would take him on the team. But actually he isn't what we need.

WE NEED a shanahan or probert type. A guy that can fight AND score. Even McCarty could score some. IIRC Thornton doesn't score much at all he is just a goon.

But since were most likely not going to add what we NEED Thornton would be an ok band aid fix....that Babcock wodnt use like tootoo lol

Edited by DeGraa55

Well this both a blessing and a curse. No longer will Bruins fans have the opportunity to cheer on a local hero. On the other hand, at least Shawn Thornton will finally be able to pursue his true calling in life...dragging pretty blond women to the top of the Empire State building.

Get him add Gazdic to the mix and the softish Wings are finally a thing of the past

:lol: As if. (...not that I don't think we're softish)

Honestly, both of those guys would drag down the speed and energy of our fourth line.

Would rather: Miller - Helm - Abby than Miller - Helm - Gazdic or Thorton

Edited by e_prime

:lol: As if. (...not that I don't think we're softish)

I know sad right ? Thornton is as bluecollar as they get, he will go through the wall for his teammates and also tell them to shut up or fight their fights for themselves at some point (i.e Marchand). Chiarelli now has to get another tough as nails fourth liner or otherwise Toronto with McLaren and Orr will have a field day with their team soon. Chara is getting up in age and McQuaid, Lucic can't do the fighting stuff all the time.

He's 37 years old next month...

How could he possibly help our team and who's roster spot would he be taking?

Abdelkader? ...but as I said above. I'd rather have the energy line of: Miller - Helm - Abby, as our fourth line.

Then either of those two (Gazdic or Thorton)

Guest DeGraa55

Abdelkader? ...but as I said above. I'd rather have the energy line of: Miller - Helm - Abby, as our fourth line.

Thornton helm Abby

Now that's a line I could get excited for.

How does Thornton over Abdelkader make us a better team. Especially when it matters...

Abby plays a 200 foot game and can play in any situation without being a liability. He skates, usually leads our team in hits and plays with heart. (and is a Michigan boy)

Thornton fights...

How does Thornton over Abdelkader make us a better team. Especially when it matters...

Abby plays a 200 foot game and can play in any situation without being a liability. He skates, usually leads our team in hits and plays with heart. (and is a Michigan boy)

Thornton fights...

Never did I say that Thornton would make us better. Pretty sure that I indicated that a 4th line of Miller - Helm -Abs is the better option.

Threw Abdelkader's name out there... could have easily said, Glendening (probable as our 13th forward) or Miller.

Edited by e_prime

Boston is going to lose so much more than just a physical force they lose leadership, hardwork and the best fourth lines in the game. I am sure Calgary will offer him a contract and then we are going to see

McGrattan - Thornton - Westgarth good god I love the bang for the buck of this line.

Trading Seguin and now not renewing Thornton are two Chiarelli mistakes in a row

Edited by frankgrimes

Nah, Holland is too busy signing undrafted "projects." He'll have no interest in an NHL player. Not that I think Thornton would be the answer to what we need...

So you're being cynical just to be cynical? You don't want him to be signed yet you complain that he won't be signed?

P

Holland may not make a lot of trades, but getting free agents is something he does do.

Yeah, I really don't think he'd have a place on this team. The extra forwards as of right now are likely Andersson and Ferraro/Callahan - they add someone else and one of those two get bumped for Glendening. Any of those guys are a better option than Thornton at this point.

As mentioned, a 4th line of Miller-Helm-Abdelkader would be preferred, though it would require the team to add another skilled forward or a prospect to jump into the top 9 (Alfie, Mantha, etc.)

I am 100% positive ALL GM's have interest in players before July 1st....it's my opinion that Holland will not show any interest in him...but stranger things have happened...

I would welcome Thornton, even though he is not who I think Holland should go after, just like I would welcome Boyle. I do think, on the other hand that both of these guys would be better pickups than Nosek, Epec, Asslec, Ballsec though...

Nosek is signed for the future. Think of him as a draft pick they just signed.

The rest of your post is nonsense. Thornton isn't what the team needs but Holland is stupid for not having any interest in him even though nothing about Thornton or that type of player has been mentioned at all by the team.

I'm a huge enforcer guy, and I don't think we need to look at Thornton. If Boston (the team that whipped us in the playoffs) don't need him anymore, why do we?? He's gonna be 37 soon, we need to find a young Gazdic type that can actually take a regular shift on the 4th line. Until that guy comes along, it's status quo. But we don't need an old washed up enforcer.

Yeah, I really don't think he'd have a place on this team. The extra forwards as of right now are likely Andersson and Ferraro/Callahan - they add someone else and one of those two get bumped for Glendening. Any of those guys are a better option than Thornton at this point.

As mentioned, a 4th line of Miller-Helm-Abdelkader would be preferred, though it would require the team to add another skilled forward or a prospect to jump into the top 9 (Alfie, Mantha, etc.)

I do not mind Abdelkader in the top six every so often, but he should not be taking regular shifts on the 1st and 2nd line, no matter how much Datsyuk likes him there. I'm sure Dats said that specifically so Babs would put him there instead of Cleary. :D

I just think that Thornton is a relic. No one needs a pure enforcer anymore. I don't mind his abilities in getting his team going and his non-stop, never-say-die attitude, but the fact that he lacks any hockey skill and has to work *so* hard to gather the few points that he accumulates, plus is a liability with bad penalties is a "no go" for me.