• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SteelTownWingsFan

Shawn Thornton will not be returning to the Bruins

Rate this topic

Didn't he score several points against our terrible team in that series, despite limited minutes?

Our 4th liners are hot garbage, and people here are making fun of Thornton, who can actually make the games somewhat interesting to watch, unlike our 4th line of Miller, Glenfiddich and whomever.

I hope he didn't hear any one making fun of him... I hear he's not afraid to fight.

Also, if Glenfiddich was on our fourth line. I'd have that jersey already. Goddamn that'd be awesome.

I'd settle for a Daniels, Beam, Walker... hell, even Powers.

I hope he didn't hear any one making fun of him... I hear he's not afraid to fight.

Also, if Glenfiddich was on our fourth line. I'd have that jersey already. Goddamn that'd be awesome.

I'd settle for a Daniels, Beam, Walker... hell, even Powers.

Powers you say?

42943909.jpg

The young guys who fight and have skill are few and far between. Teams don't want useful players in the box 200+ minutes a year anymore, so the Shanahans, Proberts, even guys like McCarty are being told not to fight much, if at all. That leaves the guys who can only fight, and with the way the game has changed coupled with the concussion lawsuits, those guys will be completely out of the game soon.

Helm isn't a 4th liner and won't be next year.

Why this team? Are we more skilled than others? Why can Thornton play for Boston all these years but not us?

Not like the Bruins needed him in order to be tougher than other teams.

BTW, I don't want a Thornton, just a younger player like him.

If Weiss is healthy, I would assume Helm will be on the 4th line - especially considering his injury issues. Datsyuk-Weiss-Sheahan-Helm. Unless you're thinking the team is going to play Helm above Sheahan, in which case, perhaps. Additionally, it still doesn't address the fact that Drew Miller is a very effective 4th liner.

And "this team" because that's this team's philosophy. Holland's not going to go after a "pure" enforcer - it's not his M.O., it's not this team's M.O. Maybe Boston could have a Thornton BECAUSE they're more skilled, overall. It's hard to argue that they're not a better team - whether that's because of overall structure, or skill... it is what it is. They can afford to have a guy in that role, but they're also letting him go for a reason. This Detroit team needs as many contributing players as possible - they can't afford to have someone whose sole responsibility is to patrol the ice.

I don't dislike hockey fights, but the days where guys scrap to scrap are clearly being weeded out.

Edited by Jesusberg

When Babcock has had a pure fighter in Detroit the guy barely played. Why get an old guy that forces a young still improving player out just so he can play 5 minutes a night in maybe 50 games then not sniff the ice in the playoffs?

Because he punches guys. The argument goes something like this: We should get Shawn Thornton because he's a fighter and we need that on our team. We need it on our team because we don't have it on our team currently. We don't currently have it on our team because we don't currently have Shawn Thornton.

Hopefully that helps.

Edited by kipwinger

Because he punches guys. The argument goes something like this: We should get Shawn Thornton because he's a fighter and we need that on our team. We need it on our team because we don't have it on our team currently. We don't currently have it on our team because we don't currently have Shawn Thornton.

Hopefully that helps.

ITS ALL SO CLEAR NOW

Didn't he score several points against our terrible team in that series, despite limited minutes?

Our 4th liners are hot garbage, and people here are making fun of Thornton, who can actually make the games somewhat interesting to watch, unlike our 4th line of Miller, Glenfiddich and whomever.

Glenfidditch and Miller actually had the same amount of pts as Thornton did in that series. In fact they had the same amount of pts as Thornton got in both series he played in.

Glenfidditch and Miller actually had the same amount of pts as Thornton did in that series. In fact they had the same amount of pts as Thornton got in both series he played in.

But they make our 4th line easy to play against. We haven't had an effective 4th line since the grind line. Your 4th line should be an energy, hitting line. Miller doesn't really hit anyone.

But they make our 4th line easy to play against. We haven't had an effective 4th line since the grind line. Your 4th line should be an energy, hitting line. Miller doesn't really hit anyone.

Drew Miller led the teams forwards in blocked shots with 63 (number 2 was Glendening with 38)

Miller had 26 take-aways and only 9 give-aways. Better ratio then any other bottom 6er on the wings.

Miller was 2nd to only abdelkader in hits among forwards on the team with 122 compared to Abbys 172.

Miller led all forwards on our team in PK minutes with 246, Andersson was number 2 with 170

That's a damn solid bottom 6er, or at least one of the better bottom 6ers on this team.

However I will say this: I think a perfect grind line should have a feared player, a pest, and a defensive all-star.

That's why I think Maltby - Draper - McCarty/Kocur was perfect..... Pest - Defense - Scary

Helm is the pefect Draper replacement. Abby is good, but isn't scary or pesty enough IMO. Miller is great as well, but he's like a Draper playing the wing, and we already have that in Helm.

Yet, with all that said, the nature of the game is changing. Gone are the McCarty Kocur types. In are the Helm, Miller, Draper types.

I remember hearing that Bob McKenzie stated that Thornton won't have a problem getting a contract from another NHL team.

I think the "goon" is being slowly phased out. At the same time, guys like John Scott, George Parros, Kevin Westgarth, and the like still find NHL roster spots. Interesting that GMs still see some need for them. Of course, guys that can play a little bit and fight will get the nod over the goon. Take, for example, the Islanders. Eric Boulton is a pure enforcer. Matt Martin can fight, but can skate a regular shift and contribute in more ways than just fighting. Boulton was scratched quite a bit last season and Martin was a constant. Boulton was re-signed at the end of the regular season, so there's some need for him, but he'll remain behind Martin on their roster.

Anyway, at this point in his career, Thornton isn't much more than a goon. He doesn't provide the offense he used to. That being said, he will bring a lot to a young locker room. I can see Florida going after him.

If they are facing the enforcer out and let the rats ruin the show, hockey will become like soccer on ice = unwatchable.

It's funny how often Thornton gets called a goon, the guy has skill and brings a lot of energy, leadership teams like the Oilers should be lining up to get him and his leadership. He could do some huge guidance for Gazdic or join the Flames and build the toughest 4 line in the NHL with McGrattan and Westgarth. There is potential for him that's for sure. Guy will be in the NHL next year and thanks god this game needs more not less players like him.

It's also funny, when the team with the softest fourth line in the league is talking about wasting a roster spot on someone like Thornton. For years now our so called fourth line has been a joke compared to the ones from Boston, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Kings heck even Chicago has a more physical fourth line.

Mark my words Chiarelli will regret this decision as soon as the Leafs are rolling into B-town. Would love to see a reinnovation of a grind line and the bash brothers but I also know it wont happen.

Edited by frankgrimes

If they are facing the enforcer out and let the rats ruin the show, hockey will become like soccer on ice = unwatchable.

It's funny how often Thornton gets called a goon, the guy has skill and brings a lot of energy, leadership teams like the Oilers should be lining up to get him and his leadership. He could do some huge guidance for Gazdic or join the Flames and build the toughest 4 line in the NHL with McGrattan and Westgarth. There is potential for him that's for sure. Guy will be in the NHL next year and thanks god this game needs more not less players like him.

It's also funny, when the team with the softest fourth line in the league is talking about wasting a roster spot on someone like Thornton. For years now our so called fourth line has been a joke compared to the ones from Boston, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Kings heck even Chicago has a more physical fourth line.

Mark my words Chiarelli will regret this decision as soon as the Leafs are rolling into B-town. Would love to see a reinnovation of a grind line and the bash brothers but I also know it wont happen.

I can see him going to a young team that is lacking in the physicality department. Florida, Tampa Bay, maybe Edmonton. I don't see him going to Calgary unless the Flames get rid of Westgarth.

There are a lot of goons in the NHL that do not belong in the league. Who wants a guy on their team that plays about 5 minutes a game and / or is a healthy scratch for the majority of games? Someone that doesn't produce a lick of offense, is terrible defensively, and just gets in a staged fight every chance he gets...

I would love to have a McCarty type player but the honest truth is that those players are very hard to find these days. A guy that stands up for his team when he needs to, but can also contribute in other aspects of the game. The only players that I can think of that are somewhat close to that, that I wouldn't mind having in a wings jersey are Tom Wilson, Patrick Maroon, Antoine Roussel, Milan Lucic (even though I hate the guy), or David Clarkson (before the Leafs paid through the roof for him)...

There are a lot of goons in the NHL that do not belong in the league. Who wants a guy on their team that plays about 5 minutes a game and / or is a healthy scratch for the majority of games? Someone that doesn't produce a lick of offense, is terrible defensively, and just gets in a staged fight every chance he gets.....

Team employs a player means he belongs in the league, period. These guys are having the toughest job in the NHL, teammates play a heavier game knowing that guys like Thornton, McGrattan are having their back. They are making minimal salary and are an insurance to keep rats like Cooke, kaleta, Torres and Marchand in check.

A fourth line isn't there to score points, their job is to bring energy by playing a very heavy game. Our 4 line is well.......but yeah lets just sign more soft Euros because it all worked out so great since 2009 instead of getting some great character guys such sugar Shawn

Drew Miller led the teams forwards in blocked shots with 63 (number 2 was Glendening with 38)

Miller had 26 take-aways and only 9 give-aways. Better ratio then any other bottom 6er on the wings.

Miller was 2nd to only abdelkader in hits among forwards on the team with 122 compared to Abbys 172.

Miller led all forwards on our team in PK minutes with 246, Andersson was number 2 with 170

That's a damn solid bottom 6er, or at least one of the better bottom 6ers on this team.

He played 82 games, so of course he'd be among the team leaders in these categories.

Doesn't mean he's a good or effective hitter. He's a decent PK man, but our PK wasn't that good when it counted in the postseason.

What good does running around hitting people and creating energy do if they get scored on? Don't get me wrong, I'd love a high energy big hitting defensively responsible 4th line, but defensively responsible comes first. That's what our 4th line is right now. Besides, a healthy team could see a 4th line of Abby-Glendening-Helm and that actually could be a decent energy line. Either way, we don't really have room for Thornton.

What good does running around hitting people and creating energy do if they get scored on? Don't get me wrong, I'd love a high energy big hitting defensively responsible 4th line, but defensively responsible comes first. That's what our 4th line is right now. Besides, a healthy team could see a 4th line of Abby-Glendening-Helm and that actually could be a decent energy line. Either way, we don't really have room for Thornton.

I don't want Thornton, but I'll take a younger enforcer. We have plenty of room, especially with our injury projection for next season.

Abby is a guy that Babcock puts on the top line. :lol: What makes you think he'll be a 4th liner all of a sudden in the coach's mind? A team that puts a jobber like Abby on the top line has plenty of room for an enforcer.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I don't want Thornton, but I'll take a younger enforcer. We have plenty of room, especially with our injury projection for next season.

Abby is a guy that Babcock puts on the top line. :lol: What makes you think he'll be a 4th liner all of a sudden in the coach's mind? A team that puts a jobber like Abby on the top line has plenty of room for an enforcer.

Like I said it is really funny when a team icing the softest fourth line in the league is talking about not having a spot for the definition of a fourth liner with great leadership abilities

But i agree with younger enforcer McIlrath - loved that pick from the Rangers - Gazdic, Bordeleaus, Reeves all would be nice and much needed additions to a fourth line nobody in the league takes seriously.

As for Thornton watch the Canucks, Flames or Oilers picking him up