• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SteelTownWingsFan

Shawn Thornton will not be returning to the Bruins

Rate this topic

I am 100% positive ALL GM's have interest in players before July 1st....it's my opinion that Holland will not show any interest in him...but stranger things have happened...

I would welcome Thornton, even though he is not who I think Holland should go after, just like I would welcome Boyle. I do think, on the other hand that both of these guys would be better pickups than Nosek, Epec, Asslec, Ballsec though...

Of course Holland has an idea going into July 1st. You stated he isn't interested in NHL players though, which is either speculation or a major leap of exaggeration. Without debating the merits of the actual signings, Holland is always active through free agency. Trades are another story, but show me an instance where Holland has only been interested in undrafted players. He can take flyers on those guys (and why not?) and still pursue other players come July 1st, which by all indications is the plan.

I don't see Thornton being an option, nor do I think he should be one for the Wings. However, I am extremely confident Holland will sign at least one NHL quality d-man in the near future. I guess I'm just not following the assumption Holland is standing pat this summer.

Edited by GoWings1905

How come a team much better than us used him, then?

The Bruins didn't need him to make them tougher than us, yet he was dressed for every game.

...and now they're moving on from him. So, what was that about last year?

I'm a huge enforcer guy, and I don't think we need to look at Thornton. If Boston (the team that whipped us in the playoffs) don't need him anymore, why do we?? He's gonna be 37 soon, we need to find a young Gazdic type that can actually take a regular shift on the 4th line. Until that guy comes along, it's status quo. But we don't need an old washed up enforcer.

I looked at the Bruins board and most of them are worried about not replacing Thornton with another tough as nails guy. Thornton is bringing tremendous leadership, toughness and physicality. Someone mentioned McGrattan I would love having guys like him on the team but Burke will re-sign him for sure.

The day hockey will get rid off such great players will be the day where it becomes soccer on ice...

If Chiarelli doesn't replace him the Bruins become a softer team and i don't think their fans like that nor should they.

Gazdic, Bordelaux are perfect fourth liners sadly neither is available

Edited by frankgrimes

I like Thornton and I would take him on the team. But actually he isn't what we need.

WE NEED a shanahan or probert type. A guy that can fight AND score. Even McCarty could score some. IIRC Thornton doesn't score much at all he is just a goon.

But since were most likely not going to add what we NEED Thornton would be an ok band aid fix....that Babcock wodnt use like tootoo lol

Iggy is potentially available at what should be a reasonable cost and can still give us all the qualities we need: Canadian, hits, fights, scores, one timer, Canadian, leadership, hunger to win, grit

I am 100% positive ALL GM's have interest in players before July 1st....it's my opinion that Holland will not show any interest in him...but stranger things have happened...

I would welcome Thornton, even though he is not who I think Holland should go after, just like I would welcome Boyle. I do think, on the other hand that both of these guys would be better pickups than Nosek, Epec, Asslec, Ballsec though...

I hope Nosek turns out better than Brunner, Glendening, or Dekeyser, just so you have to munch on this extremely misguided post.

Btw my 5 year old is better at name calling than you are

Iggy is potentially available at what should be a reasonable cost and can still give us all the qualities we need: Canadian, hits, fights, scores, one timer, Canadian, leadership, hunger to win, grit

Except he wants to go to an immediate contender

People need to stop the Iginla dream he is not going to go to a team at crossroads. Guys wants a cup and the Wings are very far away from even contending for one, much less being the favorites.

We are not that far away at all IMO. 2 years ago we limped into the playoffs and gave the eventual Stanley Cup Champs the biggest challenge they had despite the most adversity our team has seen in decades. We need a piece or 2 plus health to go along with the experience that our youth have gotten and we are back in business.... we may never have the run away team like we have had in the past but we are not the Edmonton Oilers... we have one of the best GMs in the league, THE best coach and one of the best farm systems.

Edited by The Secret

We are not that far away at all IMO. 2 years ago we limped into the playoffs and gave the eventual Stanley Cup Champs the biggest challenge they had despite the most adversity our team has seen in decades. We need a piece or 2 plus health to go along with the experience that our youth have gotten and we are back in business.... we may never have the run away team like we have had in the past but we are not the Edmonton Oilers... we have one of the best GMs in the league, THE best coach and one of the best farm systems.

Guess what ? I'm starting to wish Chicago would have man handled us so that stupid "we gave them all they could handle" mantra would have never happened. Fact is, Chicago underestimated the 8 seeded Wings and played cocky for a few games. The Bruins clearly gave an indication on where this team is and the reality is, nowhere near cup contention.

when your two best players and the best coach in hockey are starting to get eager you know things aren't going well and they haven't since 2009.

Edited by frankgrimes

Guess what ? I'm starting to wish Chicago would have man handled us so that stupid "we gave them all they could handle" mantra would have never happened. Fact is, Chicago underestimated the 8 seeded Wings and played cocky for a few games. The Bruins clearly gave an indication on where this team is and the reality is, nowhere near cup contention.

when your two best players and the best coach in hockey are starting to get eager you know things aren't going well and they haven't since 2009.

"I wish we played worse so my argument would stick"

We lost to two good teams, that's all that happened, forget the rest. I don't think anyone here thought we were truly to superior to either of those teams. We don't suck, we're just not Boston, Chicago, LA good at the moment.

"I wish we played worse so my argument would stick"

We lost to two good teams, that's all that happened, forget the rest. I don't think anyone here thought we were truly to superior to either of those teams. We don't suck, we're just not Boston, Chicago, LA good at the moment.

This is a message board I don't care if my argument sticks or not but the fact his, this series truly gave some fans and maybe the front office a false look on where this team really is. Boston on the other hand provided a very clear picture and not a good one at that.

This is a message board I don't care if my argument sticks or not but the fact his, this series truly gave some fans and maybe the front office a false look on where this team really is. Boston on the other hand provided a very clear picture and not a good one at that.

So Boston was a good indicator and for some reason Chicago was a bad indicator.... Ok?

Like I said, both teams were better than us. And we lost to both of them. I take no false hope from the Chicago series, but I also don't give up hope over the Boston series.

If you don't care about your argument on this message board why do u bother posting?

What a load of garbage... how did the results give ANYONE a clear look at where this team is at? In order to clearly assess where this team is shouldnt you have a look at what it can do when healthy? We had so much turn over, inexperience and injuries that past 2 years that we have zero indication at what this team can do. We have definite needs for improvement but we have no gage at all at what we can do if healthy. Add now some much valued experience to our youth (who carried us into the play offs), the elimination of dead weight and some health and we have a team that can compete with the best immediately. It won't steam roll to the finish like in tha past but it can run with the pack and compete to win

...and now they're moving on from him. So, what was that about last year?

Didn't he score several points against our terrible team in that series, despite limited minutes?

Our 4th liners are hot garbage, and people here are making fun of Thornton, who can actually make the games somewhat interesting to watch, unlike our 4th line of Miller, Glenfiddich and whomever.

What a load of garbage... how did the results give ANYONE a clear look at where this team is at? In order to clearly assess where this team is shouldnt you have a look at what it can do when healthy? We had so much turn over, inexperience and injuries that past 2 years that we have zero indication at what this team can do. We have definite needs for improvement but we have no gage at all at what we can do if healthy. Add now some much valued experience to our youth (who carried us into the play offs), the elimination of dead weight and some health and we have a team that can compete with the best immediately. It won't steam roll to the finish like in tha past but it can run with the pack and compete to win

Then for all I care plan the parade ...sometimes realism isn't the worst thing in the world and no even healthy this team wouldn't compete with the big dogs. But its the same every off-season some people still believe that this is a good team. Guess Babcock, Zetterberg, Kronner and Pasha are all wrong when they are getting eager and want some changes...

Miller-Helm are our 4th line, and they're hot garbage? Right.

Helm basically speaks for himself, but Miller was 5th in the league in PK time per game, 15th in blocked shots among forwards. He was also 2nd on this team (behind Abdelkader) in hits. Miller is a perfect 4th liner, sans your desire for him to drop the gloves. I get it, you like to see guys drop the gloves and police the ice, but a player that does only that will NEVER be on this team. Ever.

Any enforcer-type player who plays for this team is going to have to be successful at more than one thing. I look at guys like Hendricks, Roussel, Maroon, Crombeen, etc... they put up some points, or work on the PK as well. Thronton is a thug who can't skate, score or play on the PK. No place on this team for a guy as limited as that.

Then for all I care plan the parade ...sometimes realism isn't the worst thing in the world and no even healthy this team wouldn't compete with the big dogs. But its the same every off-season some people still believe that this is a good team. Guess Babcock, Zetterberg, Kronner and Pasha are all wrong when they are getting eager and want some changes...

Babcock, Zberg, Kronner, Pasha are all so eager for change that they didn't call for major changes or leave this team.

They didn't say they wanted changes, they just said they wanted to get farther in the playoffs next year. Change in outcome not necessarily the roster.

I feel our biggest problems this year were injuries and inexperience in the playoffs. Sheahan, Jurco, Nyquist, Tatar, Smith, Glendening, etc. have added experience. With that and If Z, Dats, Weiss, and Ericsson are healthy in the playoffs I feel we're a very different team.

Add to that one of our D prospects stepping up and possibly Mantha or Pulkinen(still haven't learned how to spell it) and I'm really excited about our chances.

We've also added by subtraction.

This is a message board I don't care if my argument sticks or not

What a load of s***. So, you're arguing for the sake of arguing? Don't waste your time if you're gonna spout baseless arguments.

We're definitely not the elite of the NHL anymore, but we're a few pieces away from being serious contenders again. Whether Ken actually brings those key pieces here remains to be seen, but you act like we're the Edmonton Oilers.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

This is a message board I don't care if my argument sticks or notWhat a load of s***. So, you're arguing for the sake of arguing? Don't waste your time if you're gonna spout baseless arguments.

We're definitely not the elite of the NHL anymore, but we're a few pieces away from being serious contenders again. Whether Ken actually brings those key pieces here remains to be seen, but you act like we're the Edmonton Oilers.

Like I said before plan the parade then. The Kings, Hawks, Bruins, Blues aren't going to slow down in the future, and some others are going to emerge soon and getting those few pieces has been a need since Lids retired, they are very hard to get and you can't always count on the young guys. Nyquist, Tatar and Sheahan have done a great job but nobody knows if they can repeat their rookie seasons, other teams are going to be more aware of them now.

As for baseless arguments, well its a message board nothing we discuss here will have an impact on the team. That's the benefit of playing armchair gm

Thornton even 37 would bring a lot of things this team needs.

Helm basically speaks for himself, but Miller was 5th in the league in PK time per game, 15th in blocked shots among forwards. He was also 2nd on this team (behind Abdelkader) in hits. Miller is a perfect 4th liner, sans your desire for him to drop the gloves. I get it, you like to see guys drop the gloves and police the ice, but a player that does only that will NEVER be on this team. Ever.

Any enforcer-type player who plays for this team is going to have to be successful at more than one thing. I look at guys like Hendricks, Roussel, Maroon, Crombeen, etc... they put up some points, or work on the PK as well. Thronton is a thug who can't skate, score or play on the PK. No place on this team for a guy as limited as that.

Helm isn't a 4th liner and won't be next year.

Why this team? Are we more skilled than others? Why can Thornton play for Boston all these years but not us?

Not like the Bruins needed him in order to be tougher than other teams.

BTW, I don't want a Thornton, just a younger player like him.

Edited by GMRwings1983