Photo
- - - - -

Shawn Thornton will not be returning to the Bruins

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

I am 100% positive ALL GM's have interest in players before July 1st....it's my opinion that Holland will not show any interest in him...but stranger things have happened...

I would welcome Thornton, even though he is not who I think Holland should go after, just like I would welcome Boyle.  I do think, on the other hand that both of these guys would be better pickups than Nosek, Epec, Asslec, Ballsec though...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#22 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

Nosek is signed for the future. Think of him as a draft pick they just signed. The rest of your post is nonsense. Thornton isn't what the team needs but Holland is stupid for not having any interest in him even though nothing about Thornton or that type of player has been mentioned at all by the team.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#23 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

Wings need a Thornton-like player that is 5-10 years younger.

#24 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,043 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

I'm a huge enforcer guy, and I don't think we need to look at Thornton. If Boston (the team that whipped us in the playoffs) don't need him anymore, why do we?? He's gonna be 37 soon, we need to find a young Gazdic type that can actually take a regular shift on the 4th line. Until that guy comes along, it's status quo. But we don't need an old washed up enforcer.

#NOMOREKINDL

#25 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

Yeah, I really don't think he'd have a place on this team. The extra forwards as of right now are likely  Andersson and Ferraro/Callahan - they add someone else and one of those two get bumped for Glendening. Any of those guys are a better option than Thornton at this point.

As mentioned, a 4th line of Miller-Helm-Abdelkader would be preferred, though it would require the team to add another skilled forward or a prospect to jump into the top 9 (Alfie, Mantha, etc.)

I do not mind Abdelkader in the top six every so often, but he should not be taking regular shifts on the 1st and 2nd line, no matter how much Datsyuk likes him there.  I'm sure Dats said that specifically so Babs would put him there instead of Cleary.  :D

I just think that Thornton is a relic. No one needs a pure enforcer anymore.  I don't mind his abilities in getting his team going and his non-stop, never-say-die attitude, but the fact that he lacks any hockey skill and has to work *so* hard to gather the few points that he accumulates, plus is a liability with bad penalties is a "no go" for me.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#26 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

He can't play hockey, Babcock wouldn't use him.

How come a team much better than us used him, then?

The Bruins didn't need him to make them tougher than us, yet he was dressed for every game.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#27 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:40 PM

Because their coach isn't better than our coach.

#28 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:47 PM

Would rather have McGrattan. Then we could have Boring Mitch Callahan.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#29 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:57 PM

I am 100% positive ALL GM's have interest in players before July 1st....it's my opinion that Holland will not show any interest in him...but stranger things have happened...

I would welcome Thornton, even though he is not who I think Holland should go after, just like I would welcome Boyle.  I do think, on the other hand that both of these guys would be better pickups than Nosek, Epec, Asslec, Ballsec though...

Of course Holland has an idea going into July 1st. You stated he isn't interested in NHL players though, which is either speculation or a major leap of exaggeration. Without debating the merits of the actual signings, Holland is always active through free agency. Trades are another story, but show me an instance where Holland has only been interested in undrafted players. He can take flyers on those guys (and why not?) and still pursue other players come July 1st, which by all indications is the plan.

I don't see Thornton being an option, nor do I think he should be one for the Wings. However, I am extremely confident Holland will sign at least one NHL quality d-man in the near future. I guess I'm just not following the assumption Holland is standing pat this summer.

Edited by GoWings1905, 16 June 2014 - 10:59 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#30 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:46 AM

Thornton isn't what we need. There are several younger guys who can skate a regular shift that can be brought here. That said, I hope Thornton finds a spot with another team.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#31 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:43 AM

The Bruins didn't need him to make them tougher than us, yet he was dressed for every game.  

...and now they're moving on from him.  So, what was that about last year?

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#32 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:05 AM

I'm a huge enforcer guy, and I don't think we need to look at Thornton. If Boston (the team that whipped us in the playoffs) don't need him anymore, why do we?? He's gonna be 37 soon, we need to find a young Gazdic type that can actually take a regular shift on the 4th line. Until that guy comes along, it's status quo. But we don't need an old washed up enforcer.

I looked at the Bruins board and most of them are worried about not replacing Thornton with another tough as nails guy. Thornton is bringing tremendous leadership, toughness and physicality. Someone mentioned McGrattan I would love having guys like him on the team but Burke will re-sign him for sure.

The day hockey will get rid off such great players will be the day where it becomes soccer on ice...
If Chiarelli doesn't replace him the Bruins become a softer team and i don't think their fans like that nor should they.

Gazdic, Bordelaux are perfect fourth liners sadly neither is available

Edited by frankgrimes, 17 June 2014 - 07:07 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#33 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:50 AM

I like Thornton and I would take him on the team. But actually he isn't what we need.

WE NEED a shanahan or probert type. A guy that can fight AND score. Even McCarty could score some. IIRC Thornton doesn't score much at all he is just a goon.

But since were most likely not going to add what we NEED Thornton would be an ok band aid fix....that Babcock wodnt use like tootoo lol

Iggy is potentially available at what should be a reasonable cost and can still give us all the qualities we need: Canadian, hits, fights, scores, one timer, Canadian, leadership, hunger to win, grit

#34 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:05 AM

I hope Nosek turns out better than Brunner, Glendening, or Dekeyser, just so you have to munch on this extremely misguided post.

Btw my 5 year old is better at name calling than you are

Iggy is potentially available at what should be a reasonable cost and can still give us all the qualities we need: Canadian, hits, fights, scores, one timer, Canadian, leadership, hunger to win, grit

Except he wants to go to an immediate contender

#35 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

People need to stop the Iginla dream he is not going to go to a team at crossroads. Guys wants a cup and the Wings are very far away from even contending for one, much less being the favorites.

kftx.jpg

#36 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

If he were several years younger, and could score 10 plus goals - then why not?

As much as it pains me to say this - we'd be better off signing Dan Boyle.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#37 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

People need to stop the Iginla dream he is not going to go to a team at crossroads. Guys wants a cup and the Wings are very far away from even contending for one, much less being the favorites.

We are not that far away at all IMO. 2 years ago we limped into the playoffs and gave the eventual Stanley Cup Champs the biggest challenge they had despite the most adversity our team has seen in decades. We need a piece or 2 plus health to go along with the experience that our youth have gotten and we are back in business.... we may never have the run away team like we have had in the past but we are not the Edmonton Oilers... we have one of the best GMs in the league, THE best coach and one of the best farm systems.

Edited by The Secret, 17 June 2014 - 10:06 AM.

#38 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

We are not that far away at all IMO. 2 years ago we limped into the playoffs and gave the eventual Stanley Cup Champs the biggest challenge they had despite the most adversity our team has seen in decades. We need a piece or 2 plus health to go along with the experience that our youth have gotten and we are back in business.... we may never have the run away team like we have had in the past but we are not the Edmonton Oilers... we have one of the best GMs in the league, THE best coach and one of the best farm systems.

Guess what ? I'm starting to wish Chicago would have man handled us so that stupid "we gave them all they could handle" mantra would have never happened. Fact is, Chicago underestimated the 8 seeded Wings and played cocky for a few games. The Bruins clearly gave an indication on where this team is and the reality is, nowhere near cup contention.

when your two best players and the best coach in hockey are starting to get eager you know things aren't going well and they haven't since 2009.

Edited by frankgrimes, 17 June 2014 - 10:31 AM.

kftx.jpg

#39 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

Guess what ? I'm starting to wish Chicago would have man handled us so that stupid "we gave them all they could handle" mantra would have never happened. Fact is, Chicago underestimated the 8 seeded Wings and played cocky for a few games. The Bruins clearly gave an indication on where this team is and the reality is, nowhere near cup contention.

when your two best players and the best coach in hockey are starting to get eager you know things aren't going well and they haven't since 2009.

"I wish we played worse so my argument would stick"

We lost to two good teams, that's all that happened, forget the rest. I don't think anyone here thought we were truly to superior to either of those teams. We don't suck, we're just not Boston, Chicago, LA good at the moment.

#40 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

"I wish we played worse so my argument would stick"

We lost to two good teams, that's all that happened, forget the rest. I don't think anyone here thought we were truly to superior to either of those teams. We don't suck, we're just not Boston, Chicago, LA good at the moment.

This is a message board I don't care if my  argument sticks or not but the fact his,  this series truly gave some fans and maybe the front office a false look on where this team really is. Boston on the other hand provided a very clear picture and not a good one at that.

kftx.jpg