• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#41 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

This is a message board I don't care if my  argument sticks or not but the fact his,  this series truly gave some fans and maybe the front office a false look on where this team really is. Boston on the other hand provided a very clear picture and not a good one at that.

So Boston was a good indicator and for some reason Chicago was a bad indicator.... Ok?

Like I said, both teams were better than us. And we lost to both of them. I take no false hope from the Chicago series, but I also don't give up hope over the Boston series.

If you don't care about your argument on this message board why do u bother posting?

#42 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

This is a message board I don't care if my  argument sticks or not but the fact his,  this series truly gave some fans and maybe the front office a false look on where this team really is. Boston on the other hand provided a very clear picture and not a good one at that.

What a load of garbage... how did the results give ANYONE a clear look at where this team is at? In order to clearly assess where this team is shouldnt you have a look at what it can do when healthy? We had so much turn over, inexperience and injuries that past 2 years that we have zero indication at what this team can do. We have definite needs for improvement but we have no gage at all at what we can do if healthy. Add now some much valued experience to our youth (who carried us into the play offs), the elimination of dead weight and some health and we have a team that can compete with the best immediately. It won't steam roll to the finish like in tha past but it can run with the pack and compete to win

#43 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,941 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

...and now they're moving on from him.  So, what was that about last year?

Didn't he score several points against our terrible team in that series, despite limited minutes?  

Our 4th liners are hot garbage, and people here are making fun of Thornton, who can actually make the games somewhat interesting to watch, unlike our 4th line of Miller, Glenfiddich and whomever.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#44 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

What a load of garbage... how did the results give ANYONE a clear look at where this team is at? In order to clearly assess where this team is shouldnt you have a look at what it can do when healthy? We had so much turn over, inexperience and injuries that past 2 years that we have zero indication at what this team can do. We have definite needs for improvement but we have no gage at all at what we can do if healthy. Add now some much valued experience to our youth (who carried us into the play offs), the elimination of dead weight and some health and we have a team that can compete with the best immediately. It won't steam roll to the finish like in tha past but it can run with the pack and compete to win

Then for all I care plan the parade ...sometimes realism isn't the worst thing in the world and no even healthy this team wouldn't compete with the big dogs. But its the same every off-season some people still believe that this is a good team. Guess Babcock, Zetterberg, Kronner and Pasha are all wrong when they are getting eager and want some changes...

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#45 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

Miller-Helm are our 4th line, and they're hot garbage? Right.

Helm basically speaks for himself, but Miller was 5th in the league in PK time per game, 15th in blocked shots among forwards. He was also 2nd on this team (behind Abdelkader) in hits. Miller is a perfect 4th liner, sans your desire for him to drop the gloves. I get it, you like to see guys drop the gloves and police the ice, but a player that does only that will NEVER be on this team. Ever.

Any enforcer-type player who plays for this team is going to have to be successful at more than one thing. I look at guys like Hendricks, Roussel, Maroon, Crombeen, etc... they put up some points, or work on the PK as well. Thronton is a thug who can't skate, score or play on the PK. No place on this team for a guy as limited as that.

#46 JSDO3O

JSDO3O

Shutdown Defenseman

• 17 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:33 PM

Yeah!!!! We should sign him and Brooks Orpik and then everyone will have a great time!!!!!  :yahoo:

Edited by JSDO3O, 17 June 2014 - 12:36 PM.

"All hockey players are bilingual; they speak English and profanity." -- Gordie Howe  :boxing:

#47 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

Then for all I care plan the parade ...sometimes realism isn't the worst thing in the world and no even healthy this team wouldn't compete with the big dogs. But its the same every off-season some people still believe that this is a good team. Guess Babcock, Zetterberg, Kronner and Pasha are all wrong when they are getting eager and want some changes...

Babcock, Zberg, Kronner, Pasha are all so eager for change that they didn't call for major changes or leave this team.

#48 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

They didn't say they wanted changes, they just said they wanted to get farther in the playoffs next year. Change in outcome not necessarily the roster.

I feel our biggest problems this year were injuries and inexperience in the playoffs. Sheahan, Jurco, Nyquist, Tatar, Smith, Glendening, etc. have added experience. With that and If Z, Dats, Weiss, and Ericsson are healthy in the playoffs I feel we're a very different team. 

Add to that one of our D prospects stepping up and possibly Mantha or Pulkinen(still haven't learned how to spell it) and I'm really excited about our chances. 

We've also added by subtraction.

#49 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:17 PM

This is a message board I don't care if my  argument sticks or not

What a load of s***. So, you're arguing for the sake of arguing? Don't waste your time if you're gonna spout baseless arguments.

We're definitely not the elite of the NHL anymore, but we're a few pieces away from being serious contenders again. Whether Ken actually brings those key pieces here remains to be seen, but you act like we're the Edmonton Oilers.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 17 June 2014 - 04:18 PM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#50 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

This is a message board I don't care if my  argument sticks or notWhat a load of s***. So, you're arguing for the sake of arguing? Don't waste your time if you're gonna spout baseless arguments.
We're definitely not the elite of the NHL anymore, but we're a few pieces away from being serious contenders again. Whether Ken actually brings those key pieces here remains to be seen, but you act like we're the Edmonton Oilers.

Like I said before plan the parade then. The Kings, Hawks, Bruins, Blues aren't going to slow down in the future, and some others are going to emerge soon and getting those few pieces has been a need since Lids retired, they are very hard to get and you can't always count on the young guys. Nyquist, Tatar and Sheahan have done a great job but nobody knows if they can repeat their rookie seasons, other teams are going to be more aware of them now.

As for baseless arguments, well its a message board nothing we discuss here will have an impact on the team. That's the benefit of playing armchair gm

Thornton even 37 would bring a lot of things this team needs.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#51 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,941 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

Helm basically speaks for himself, but Miller was 5th in the league in PK time per game, 15th in blocked shots among forwards. He was also 2nd on this team (behind Abdelkader) in hits. Miller is a perfect 4th liner, sans your desire for him to drop the gloves. I get it, you like to see guys drop the gloves and police the ice, but a player that does only that will NEVER be on this team. Ever.

Any enforcer-type player who plays for this team is going to have to be successful at more than one thing. I look at guys like Hendricks, Roussel, Maroon, Crombeen, etc... they put up some points, or work on the PK as well. Thronton is a thug who can't skate, score or play on the PK. No place on this team for a guy as limited as that.

Helm isn't a 4th liner and won't be next year.  

Why this team?  Are we more skilled than others?  Why can Thornton play for Boston all these years but not us?  

Not like the Bruins needed him in order to be tougher than other teams.

BTW, I don't want a Thornton, just a younger player like him.   

Edited by GMRwings1983, 17 June 2014 - 08:45 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#52 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

Didn't he score several points against our terrible team in that series, despite limited minutes?  

Our 4th liners are hot garbage, and people here are making fun of Thornton, who can actually make the games somewhat interesting to watch, unlike our 4th line of Miller, Glenfiddich and whomever.  

I hope he didn't hear any one making fun of him... I hear he's not afraid to fight.

Also, if Glenfiddich was on our fourth line.  I'd have that jersey already.  Goddamn that'd be awesome.

I'd settle for a Daniels, Beam, Walker... hell, even Powers.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#53 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

I hope he didn't hear any one making fun of him... I hear he's not afraid to fight.

Also, if Glenfiddich was on our fourth line.  I'd have that jersey already.  Goddamn that'd be awesome.

Powers you say?

42943909.jpg

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#54 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

Powers you say?

42943909.jpg

OMG.  This made my day!

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#55 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

Hey now - Glenfiddich is a fine single malt - especially the 15 yr Solera...

crap - you beat me to it

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#56 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

The young guys who fight and have skill are few and far between. Teams don't want useful players in the box 200+ minutes a year anymore, so the Shanahans, Proberts, even guys like McCarty are being told not to fight much, if at all. That leaves the guys who can only fight, and with the way the game has changed coupled with the concussion lawsuits, those guys will be completely out of the game soon.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#57 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Helm isn't a 4th liner and won't be next year.  

Why this team?  Are we more skilled than others?  Why can Thornton play for Boston all these years but not us?  

Not like the Bruins needed him in order to be tougher than other teams.

BTW, I don't want a Thornton, just a younger player like him.   

If Weiss is healthy, I would assume Helm will be on the 4th line - especially considering his injury issues. Datsyuk-Weiss-Sheahan-Helm. Unless you're thinking the team is going to play Helm above Sheahan, in which case, perhaps. Additionally, it still doesn't address the fact that Drew Miller is a very effective 4th liner.

And "this team" because that's this team's philosophy. Holland's not going to go after a "pure" enforcer - it's not his M.O., it's not this team's M.O. Maybe Boston could have a Thornton BECAUSE they're more skilled, overall. It's hard to argue that they're not a better team - whether that's because of overall structure, or skill... it is what it is. They can afford to have a guy in that role, but they're also letting him go for a reason. This Detroit team needs as many contributing players as possible - they can't afford to have someone whose sole responsibility is to patrol the ice.

I don't dislike hockey fights, but the days where guys scrap to scrap are clearly being weeded out.

Edited by Jesusberg, 18 June 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#58 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

When Babcock has had a pure fighter in Detroit the guy barely played. Why get an old guy that forces a young still improving player out just so he can play 5 minutes a night in maybe 50 games then not sniff the ice in the playoffs?

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#59 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

When Babcock has had a pure fighter in Detroit the guy barely played. Why get an old guy that forces a young still improving player out just so he can play 5 minutes a night in maybe 50 games then not sniff the ice in the playoffs?

Because he punches guys.  The argument goes something like this:  We should get Shawn Thornton because he's a fighter and we need that on our team.  We need it on our team because we don't have it on our team currently.  We don't currently have it on our team because we don't currently have Shawn Thornton. 

Hopefully that helps. 

Edited by kipwinger, 18 June 2014 - 03:41 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#60 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

Because he punches guys.  The argument goes something like this:  We should get Shawn Thornton because he's a fighter and we need that on our team.  We need it on our team because we don't have it on our team currently.  We don't currently have it on our team because we don't currently have Shawn Thornton. 

Hopefully that helps. 

ITS ALL SO CLEAR NOW